Driving on Grand Cayman

ILoveScotland

I will be renting a car on Grand Cayman in January. I think I read that cars drive on the left side of the road as in the UK. Is this true?

What about the cars themselves? I've driven on St. Croix with left side driving but also with the steering wheel on the left as in the US. Is it the same on Grand Cayman or will the steering wheel be on the right? I can manage either way.

Thanks.

The rental I had was left side drive, and yes, driving was on the left. Also, the speed limit is in MPH, which took me a little while to realize :). (Heck, the car I had was marked primarily in KPH, so that didn't help matters).

Most rental cars have the driver's side on the right hand side of the car. There are some cars with the driver's side on the left. I usually recommend you get a car with right hand side steering. Part when on Rome, but also the difference helps you to be cognizant of the need to "LOOK RIGHT and STAY LEFT". Roads are in great shape and most people adapt pretty quickly and find a fun experience. YMMV of course...:D

Oh yeah, if you don't turn the windshield wipers on at least once when intending to use the turn signal you are doing something wrong. ;)

Drive on the left.

Give way to cars already in the roundabouts. There are only 7 or so traffic lights in the whole country. Most major intersections are roundabouts.

The front seat passenger's job is to shout, "Left! Left! No, the other left! Stay left!" every time you make a turn.

The front seat passenger's job is to shout, "Left! Left! No, the other left! Stay left!" every time you make a turn.

So true!! Also helps to sing the Beyonce song "To the Left, To the Left" in your head when you are pulling in and out of driveways/shopping centers!

One other thing besides the MPH looking like KM on the roads, the gallons at the gas station are Imperial Gallons, which are larger than US Gallons. Right now the price is about $5.50 CI = $6.70 USD. The good thing is most cars are 1.2 liter engines, so you won't burn that much gas. We drove around for a week and only spent $60 USD.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've driven in the UK, both with and without a passenger, so understand about "to the left." I'll have a friend with me in January, so she can help.

I think I'll contact the rental car company and ask for a right side steering wheel. I drove on St. Croix a few years ago and found left side steering wheel very confusing.

Hadn't thought about price of gas being so much higher than here in North Carolina.

I rented at Avis at the airport. They picked us up right near the pier so we didn't have to deal with the downtown traffic. I found it very easy to drive on the left side there but made sure I rented a car with the steering on the right. I say easy but if does take some extra focus (and no rum) but it was easier than other places where I have done it.

Returned car to airport and took free shuttle pier. They have special all inclusive rates for cruisers. Compact car for the day (4 door) was just under $60 with all fees.

http://www.aviscayman.com/cruise.htm

Archived