QM2 - Ascot Ball

PCM

Hello,

We are due to experience one of these very soon.

For those who have, can I ask what form they take, how do people dress up etc?

Any comments?!

PCM

Some, by no means all, wear hats.These are either carried on or made on board. It is no big thing really. It normally starts at 9.45pm and finishes at 11.30 or midnight. If you like ballroom dancing it will be ok, if not ....

Hats are optional for the evening. There is a hat parade around the ballroom at about 11pm. With prizes for the winners. The Social Hostess or the Assistant Cruise Director "hosts" the ball and there are sometimes fun dance contests or some type of group dance that gets everyone involved. You can participate or just watch, it makes for an interesting evening. Enjoy your voyage !

It is a formal dress evening in any case.

Taking a hat is difficult for those who have to fly to the port, (though I have seen one passenger on several different cruises who wears a different hat every day , sometimes she changes between meals! Shades of Hyacinth's QE cruise on TV)

Since I fly I do not take a hat, but I will admit that my Ascot night dress is a floaty chiffon type compared to my normal plain - no- nonsense full length formal dress.

Do not agonise over the description" ball", it really is not a ball, just a dance with a theme for the Hostess and the Queens Room decoration.

Archived