Xcaret with little ones

spcopps

Just a little background first..it will be myself, DH, 7 year old DD and 3 year old twin DSs.

Now for my questions..I see on carnival it takes about an hour travel each way. We arrive in port at 1 and excersion begins at 1 so I assume we will be one of the first allowed off the ship. I expect since it is a 7 hour excerision we will be leaving Xcaret about 7PM..(please correct me if I am wrong)..

My main thing is I want my 7 year old to experience some cultural aspects while in Mexico so doing just a beach is a no go for us..

If we do Xcaret I know we will have time to see the flying men but will we get to see any of the Fiesta Charro which begins at 5PM?? I know we won't get to see Espectacular because it doesn't start until 8 but would at least like her to see some of the charro show. Does anybody have personal experience with this excersion that can help?

I know my kids won't do the underwater cave swimming but is it OK for their age to do the raft through the caves on Paradise rivers and will they be allowed to wear a life vest while on the raft (u know just in case LOL)?

Any other personal experience anyone may have would be very helpful..thanks you all for your input!

I have been with my husband twice to Xcaret. Once we got there from Cozumel and once our ship actually docked in Playa del Carmen (which means Xcaret is only a short, ten minute taxi away). I also have 5 children and have to say that I never would have attempted to go to Xcaret from Cozumel with my kids. Now they are a bit older and I still wouldn't do it. Actually, I would never do it again from Cozumel. It is just too much time in transit from Cozumel, the prices are high for little time there, it is very spread out and the maps and direction signs are hard to read. The ferry ride over to the mainland (where Xcaret is) can be rough and the ferries that take you on aren't the best looking ferries. Then once you dock after about a 45 min. ride on the ferry, you have another ride on the bus for about 10 to 15 min.

I think you can show them the culture of Mexico without going to Xcaret. Actually, I don't think many locals go there so really, it is not the "real Mexico".

Another thing to consider with any ship excursion - there is always little pockets of time that you are just standing around waiting for the group. Also, there is a walk to get to the ferry, which is another 15 min walk from what I remember, if not longer. The tour hours they print in the booklet is always deceiving because you aren't really doing the actual tour, but rather, getting there and rounding people up.

I do like Xcaret but the hassle of going from Cozumel is not worth it.

I have been with my husband twice to Xcaret. Once we got there from Cozumel and once our ship actually docked in Playa del Carmen (which means Xcaret is only a short, ten minute taxi away). I also have 5 children and have to say that I never would have attempted to go to Xcaret from Cozumel with my kids. Now they are a bit older and I still wouldn't do it. Actually, I would never do it again from Cozumel. It is just too much time in transit from Cozumel, the prices are high for little time there, it is very spread out and the maps and direction signs are hard to read. The ferry ride over to the mainland (where Xcaret is) can be rough and the ferries that take you on aren't the best looking ferries. Then once you dock after about a 45 min. ride on the ferry, you have another ride on the bus for about 10 to 15 min.

I think you can show them the culture of Mexico without going to Xcaret. Actually, I don't think many locals go there so really, it is not the "real Mexico".

Another thing to consider with any ship excursion - there is always little pockets of time that you are just standing around waiting for the group. Also, there is a walk to get to the ferry, which is another 15 min walk from what I remember, if not longer. The tour hours they print in the booklet is always deceiving because you aren't really doing the actual tour, but rather, getting there and rounding people up.

I do like Xcaret but the hassle of going from Cozumel is not worth it.

The transit time is the one thing holding me back. DH and I actually did the reverse on our last cruise..we docked in Playa del carmen then took a taxi and the ferry over to Cozumel. Dh did get a little nasuea from the ferry but I never had any issues with it, and he says he is tougher than I :eek:

I agree, the thought of taking my 2 kids to Xcaret from CZM is not a good one. The thought of taking my kids on any Cruise Ship tour with the masses of people isn't even appealing.

If you want her to experience some culture take her to a local restaurant or go to the new museum just south of town. I've never been but it's new and all about Mexico.

Just being in another country will give your 7yr old plenty of culture and how people live. Xcaret is more for tourist and really the best thing about Xcaret from my recollection is the "man made" underwater caves.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the ferry over to Xel-ha with our 11 yr old son. I do not think I would do this with young children. It is quite a haul over and then a van ride. My little guy was a trooper. He got tired at Xel-ha. You will be covering a lot of ground with little ones (tons of walking) I would most likely just do an AI beach stop and just slow down and relax at the beach

Archived