VALOR Cruise Review - Aug. 7 - 14 - West. Carib.

Debbierpof

Two group pictures were taken from each end of the table (we later received these pictures signed by the chef). We were served Perrier, Shiraz and Pinot Grigio (the wine was more like table wine). They brought in a magician for about 15 minutes to do a few tricks – very cool and entertaining.

CT13.jpg

So here is a quick run through of the menu:

The Norwegian Salmon Tartare was good but not extraordinary.

CT12anorwegiansalmontartare.jpg

The Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque was good (but the comments were that it would work well as a Mexican-style spaghetti sauce)

CT12bfireroastedtomatoandpoblanochilibisque.jpg

The Rock Shrimp and Apple Beignets were good...

CT12crockshrimpandapplebeignets.jpg

The Mediterranean Chopped salad was so-so. The orange rolled piece is shaved pumpkin.

CT12dchoppedmediterraneansalad.jpg

There was no palate cleanser as with Princess where we had a sorbet topped with vodka.

The Fillet of Chilean Sea Bass was excellent (the best part of the meal – just melted in your mouth). I would have this any time!!!!

CT12echileanseabass-1.jpg

The Aged Filet Mignon was good (my DH has his served medium and came out cold)... The filet in Scarlett's and in the Lincoln was actually better....

CT14a.jpg

CT12fagedfiletmignon.jpg

Dessert was not exciting, although I will say the sorbet was delicious. I can’t recall what the two surprises were… And I guess this is what had me a little miffed. You come to the CT to have melting chocolate cake? Yep.

CT14d.jpg

I hate to be negative, but for $75 per person (in addition to the $$$ you’ve already paid for regular dinner) the experience should have more of a “WOW” factor. I know some will not like my negative comments (this is the first time I’ve posted anything not all positive about any cruise). And Carnival’s own Princess line is a perfect example of the perfect way to make the CT a fantastic experience and not one that leaves you wondering why you didn’t just eat in the Lincoln Dining Room (I heard they had a terrific Chateaubriand and escargot that evening). We did not get a copy of the cookbook (which we did on Princess) but that’s not a big deal. Heck, they gave us a copy of the Melting Chocolate Cake recipe and I can't wait to try it here at home! It was a pleasure meeting the chef, the staff and the other CT attendees. Hopefully our experience was a fluke. Or maybe our expectations (after Princess) were too high. I’m not sure what my opinion had been if this had been my first CT. On this cruise, in our opinion, Scarlett’s had the Chef’s Table beat hands down.

Next up... COZUMEL!!!

The greatest surprise of this trip was Cozumel. In the past we had gone to Paradise Beach and done the Bar Hop Bus (loved the “other” side of Cozumel – the beautiful eastern coast). This time we were signed up for the two-tank dive through Carnival. In eight cruises, this is the second time we have booked an excursion through the cruise line. It was a great deal - $79 per person. And it was a great day. We met the tour guides (Sand Dollar Sports) at the pier and filled out the appropriate waivers and paperwork. We had brought all of our gear and headed out to the adjacent pier where the dive boat was waiting for us.

Coz1.jpg

There was a crew of five ready – three dive masters, one boat captain and another guy to assist. We were divided into groups of seven. Before arriving at our first dive spot, we stopped at the dive shop to pick up extra tanks, pick-up additional gear and restroom break.

Coz3.jpg

From here we headed for the Santa Rosa wall. I could not use my camera at this location because the drop-off was well beyond my camera’s capacity. Fortunately, they also had three videographers available (one for each group). We later purchased the 30 minute video for $60 (left a $20 deposit, paid the rest from home on Paypal -- can't wait to get it!). We would drift dive the wall. There was a pretty good current and as we headed down, it was amazing. The colors of the corals and sponges, and the numbers and sizes of the fish was just beautiful. We did see one large barracuda swim by and one nurse shark (not too large, about 5 ft) was just sitting on one of the ledges. We took a break and went back to the dive shop to replace the tanks and then headed to Paradise Reef. The maximum depth was 45 ft so I was able to bring my camera. For those who may be experienced divers, this may not have been the most amazing dive, but I truly enjoyed myself. We saw a nice moray eel and again, many schools of fish, and beautiful coral and sponges.

Coz13.jpg

Coz8.jpg

Coz17.jpg

Coz5.jpg

After the dive, they took us back to the pier and we headed to the ship to change.

We were on board by 1:30 pm and back out by 2:30 pm. We walked around town, did a little shopping, and got back on the Valor. The rest of our cruise was relaxing and fun. Some shopping on board on the last day (I bought a nice pair of sunglasses and my DH got a nice watch) and then we won the store raffle!!! It was sad to hear the last "ding", or in my DH's case, the last "warning" as he picked up his dive knife for the last time.

Great cruise, great crew, great itinerary, great memories and great experience! Can’t wait to go back to the sea!!!

OP, Infinity Bay is gorgeous! We are still trying to figure out our plans at Roatan for our cruise in Oct. If you don't mind me asking, how much was this and how did you go about booking it? What is included? Thanks so much!!!

So we made it to Infinity Bay (West Bay). What a beautiful place.

Roatan13.jpg

We went snorkeling – the water was pristine and there was lots of sea life.

Roatan32.jpg

Roatan29.jpg

Roatan16.jpg

Roatan28.jpg

After another 2 hours it was time to go back to the ship… We took some silly pictures at the Cruise Center and then got back on the ship (sail away was at 7 pm). Not enough hours in port...

SillyRoatan.jpg

Next stop: BELIZE

Archived