Gtee Rm Too Sm For # Of Guests????/

roxlou1231

Our friends are traveling with 2 boys 7&13 they booked gaurenteed OUTS/ cabin

I did the gift /thing to check out there room number (outsides are sold out) and they gave them a room that had one dot. which means 1upper two/lowers acording to the key on the deck plan for that room. how will they fit all 4 of them in the cabin or will they assign them one with two uppers. how does this work.. should she call T/A to check on this.

thanks

R:) X

Inspiration 4/7 less than two weeks away.

Our friends are traveling with 2 boys 7&13 they booked gaurenteed OUTS/ cabin

they gave them a room that had one dot. which means 1upper two/lowers acording to the key on the deck plan for that room. how will they fit all 4 of them in the cabin or will they assign them one with two uppers. how does this work

That is the perils of booking a Guarantee with 4 people. The cabin steward will bring in a rollaway bed.

hi joe ,

thanks for the quick response. I thought they would do that. Is there room for a roll away?? (inspiration) I don't think they will care about the roll away as long as they all have a bed.

There will be room, just not a lot of left after they bring in the rollaway. They even do this when booking a quint room with two uppers.

My DH and I had this set up on our first cruise. The only thing that was a little weird was that they couldn't put two beds together for us. DD was in upper, DS was on rollaway on floor and we had single beds. We had a great time and did not spend much time in our cabin anyway.

I am confused as to the roll a way bed issue.

When we were on Victory, DH and i had queen/king? bed, my 13 year old did the couch and 11 year old had bed that pulled down from ceiling. NONE of us complained about our sleeping arrangements and we had plenty of room (plenty in the cruise cabin sense) during the day.

When we sailed on NCL Dawn (w/mini suite mind you) the boys had to share the couch, which was HARD AS A ROCK as a bed for the two of them. It was miserable even though NCL gave them extra padding for the bed.

This is one of the main reasons we as a family are heading back to Carnival. To have the kids sleep on comfy couch (with outragouse towel animals) and pull from ceiling bed was much more enjoyable for all of us.

Where does the roll a way fit in??? Does it stay in your cabin during the day? Have we just lucked out with our cabins?

I am confused as to the roll a way bed issue.

When we were on Victory, DH and i had queen/king? bed, my 13 year old did the couch and 11 year old had bed that pulled down from ceiling. NONE of us complained about our sleeping arrangements and we had plenty of room (plenty in the cruise cabin sense) during the day.

When we sailed on NCL Dawn (w/mini suite mind you) the boys had to share the couch, which was HARD AS A ROCK as a bed for the two of them. It was miserable even though NCL gave them extra padding for the bed.

This is one of the main reasons we as a family are heading back to Carnival. To have the kids sleep on comfy couch (with outragouse towel animals) and pull from ceiling bed was much more enjoyable for all of us.

Where does the roll a way fit in??? Does it stay in your cabin during the day? Have we just lucked out with our cabins?

Only the newest ships have the mini-couch, Destiny, Conquest & Spirit Class ships.........

Personally, if I were paying for a cabin for 4, I would not book a room that had to use a cot....there are Quad cabins !

x

If you book the Destiny for 4 people and take a guarantee you could get a cabin that has 3 beds and a rollaway. (I had a rollaway in the cabin once) I will always book a set cabin so every one can have a bed. The newer class ships, Spirt and conquest do NOT have rollaways so booking a cabin for 4 will get you 4 beds.

This is how our cabin Ocean View was set up. One bed across the window, one bed on the long wall between bathroom and window, an upper over that bed and a roll away between the desk and the window bed. It really was not that bad however we were expecting to uppers and didn't realize being our first cruise that booking a guarantee did not guarentee two uppers.:o

You can have the 2 beds pushed together as a king. The cot will be folded up and against the wall during the day. There is still plenty of walking room during the day.

If you keep the beds seperate-they will line the cot up next to one of the beds making an uneven King bed.

Only the newest ships have the mini-couch, Destiny, Conquest & Spirit Class ships.........

Personally, if I were paying for a cabin for 4, I would not book a room that had to use a cot....there are Quad cabins !

x

I see thankfully my TA (bless her heart) books us Quad cabins, hence why I was confused with the cot issue.:)

• 1 month later...

My DH (not so D right now) booked a gtee OV on Elation. Just saw where we are scheduled for a cabin with 1 upper. He & I both had no idea that they would put us in a cabin that would require a rollaway! Not happy considering the price we paid. Are going to call our PVP to see what can be done.

He & I both had no idea that they would put us in a cabin that would require a rollaway! Not happy considering the price we paid. Are going to call our PVP to see what can be done.

If you are a family of four, you are getting a cabin that sleeps four which is exactly what you paid for. Those are the trials and tribulations of booking a Guarantee cabin.

My DH (not so D right now) booked a gtee OV on Elation. Just saw where we are scheduled for a cabin with 1 upper. He & I both had no idea that they would put us in a cabin that would require a rollaway! Not happy considering the price we paid. Are going to call our PVP to see what can be done.

Is it just you and DH staying in the room? One upper means that the upper is in addition to the two regular beds, unless you booked a category 1A, which is one upper and one regular bed.

Paul- if you have a room that has one upper and you have 4 people in your cabin--you have a sofa that makes to a bed.

If 4 people are booked in the cabin there will be enough beds..no sharing

The dot just means there is a 3rd bed (an upper). You booked an OV so gtee so obviously you didn't book a 1A. You will have 2 lower beds that can be pushed together.

If you are a family of four, you are getting a cabin that sleeps four which is exactly what you paid for. Those are the trials and tribulations of booking a Guarantee cabin.

Realize now that this is a reality. More upset with DH for not thoughly investigating what a gtee would mean. Our first time on Carnival ( & 1st time gtee) - all other cruises on other lines don't ever recall seeing a rollaway. Surely Carnival isn't the only line that uses them. There will be four of us - taking our DS's for the first time. This whole scenario never even crossed my thoughts until I came across the cabin # using the modify tech. And yes, it does show us scheduled for a rollaway. Would serve DH right if I made him sleep on it.

The ships you have sailed do not have rollaways- thats probably why you didnt see them.

Booking guarantee also costs a lot less then booking a set cabin. Guarantee COULD give you a free upgrade. The agent should have explained to your husband how a 3rd person may get a rollaway. But to be fair- he is a man and do they ever listen....lol

You will be on a cruise and it all will work out. GOod luck and let us know how you made out.

What class of ship is the Carnival Victory? We have an OV guarantee cabin for three people for 8/14 sailing and I was just wondering if the Victory uses roll-aways.

I would definitely prefer a convertible sofa bed, but was willing to take a chance to get the great rate that I did!

Victory does have rollaways. Its a triumph class. (destiny class but something was added after the destiny was built.)

Oceanviews do have sofas. some are convertable some are not. Actually the back comes off and thats the bed.

• 3 weeks later...

Our family of four had a roll-away bed when we sailed with NCL on the Star. The cabins are much smaller than carnival, and when the bed was set up, we literally could not walk around the cabin.

We didn't mind the bed itself and were happy with the guarantee savings. Did switch to Carnival though for it's bigger rooms since we go four to a room.

The same thing happened to us and I was furious! I am not sure why "jcanino" defends this like it's our fault since we book a guarentee. The cruise line has the same attitude, like "too bad for you--you shouldn't have booked a guarentee". You would think that if you paid a hefty price for a room for 4, you would get a room with four real beds. I've seen the rollaways--they look like crib matresses & there is not room to walk to the bathroom should you need to find your way in the middle of the night. If I were you, I'd pitch a major fit. I did, and eventually got our cabin assignment changed (but not without being made to feel like an idiot by the cruiseline).

My biggest issue is that if CCL uses this practice, then they should be required to MENTION IT SOMEWHERE IN THEIR DOCUMENTATION AND/OR WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!! Also, the PVP should be required to mention this possibility. How else would one find out that this is CCL's practice? I think it's very wrong and I've never seen it on RCCL, NCL or American Hawaii CL. That experience alone was so appauling that I will never cruise with Carnival again! Good luck to you--it won't be easy. They don't care too much because someone else will be willing to pay for that room. It's all about their bottom line & not at all about providing decent customer service! One day, it is going to catch up with them.

The same thing happened to us and I was furious! I am not sure why "jcanino" defends this like it's our fault since we book a guarentee. The cruise line has the same attitude, like "too bad for you--you shouldn't have booked a guarentee". You would think that if you paid a hefty price for a room for 4, you would get a room with four real beds. I've seen the rollaways--they look like crib matresses & there is not room to walk to the bathroom should you need to find your way in the middle of the night. If I were you, I'd pitch a major fit. I did, and eventually got our cabin assignment changed (but not without being made to feel like an idiot by the cruiseline).

My biggest issue is that if CCL uses this practice, then they should be required to MENTION IT SOMEWHERE IN THEIR DOCUMENTATION AND/OR WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!! Also, the PVP should be required to mention this possibility. How else would one find out that this is CCL's practice? I think it's very wrong and I've never seen it on RCCL, NCL or American Hawaii CL. That experience alone was so appauling that I will never cruise with Carnival again! Good luck to you--it won't be easy. They don't care too much because someone else will be willing to pay for that room. It's all about their bottom line & not at all about providing decent customer service! One day, it is going to catch up with them.

I defend the practice because if you can read a deck plan, you can see that some cabins only have one upper berth. Those cabins will still allow the use of a rollaway. With a rollaway, you have four full beds. Just because one of the beds is close to the floor should not be an issue. I have friends, family and clients that have used rollaways and I have seen them in cabins. They are the same size as the upper berth mattress as well as the sofabed mattress. I have even seen a family of five with a rollaway and they had no complaints about the floor space issue. Booking a guarantee for four people means that you will have a cabin that will sleep four people. If you want a cabin with two lowers and two uppers, book a particular cabin. I tell that to new and past cruisers all the time.

As for Carnival's PVP's telling you this, it really isn't their fault as 90% of them have never stepped foot on a cruise ship. They sell cruises like telemarketers which is reading everything off of a script out of a book. Thta is the big reason that I am not in favor of them.

As for the other cruise lines you mentioned, both Royal Caribbean and Norwegian utilize rollaways in cabins to make a cabin with three beds become a quad. American Hawaii doesn't do anything as they have been defunct for some years now.

I also defend the idea of using a real travel agent. Someone that you can sit and talk to face to face. Someone that is experienced and educated in the travel field. Someone that has been on cruises before. Someone that will tell you that when booking a guarantee for four people, there is a chance you may end up with a rollaway.

Archived