Locked luggage?

lafngas

Whats the point of discouraging people based on your experience, for the best of common sense practices?

Of course we lock it, why wouldn't we?

Tell this poor woman what the point is of encouraging people to lock their luggage:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27724234&postcount=1

She locked her suitcase thinking the expensive jewlery inside that she had just purchased would be safe. A false sense of security, promoted by people who insist locking their luggage is prudent and necessary, can lead people to believe that their items are safe, when in fact they are not. Giving them that encouragement can lead to, as it did to this person, making a bad decision because someone has told them it's foolish not to protect the contents of their luggage by leaving it unlocked.

A quote from one of her posts says it all: "I have learned that locks don't protect zippered luggage."

I will tell everyone here what my dad always told me. A thief will steal no matter what but locks are there to keep honest people honest. Meaning to take the temptation away from opening an unlogged bag. But if that person is not honest then yes they can easily pick your lock.

Comparing locking a suitcase to locking one's home or car is nonsensical. A better comparison to locking a suitcase is locking an envelope or a package you send in the mail. Do you lock your letters and packages?

Locking a suitcase does not make the suitcase any more secure or difficult to steal from. Locking one's car or house (while far from foolproof) does serve as a deterrent. The act of breaking into a house or car is far different from breaking into a suitcase. Suitcase locks should only be thought of as decorations; they do nothing to protect your property. NEVER put valuables in one's suitcase; always utilize carry on luggage for anything of value.

I hope if on our travels our suitcases end up side by side when being scrutinized by a thief to rifle through, I'm sure he will appreciate that yours are unlocked.

I've yet to see ANYONE recommend placing valuables in the luggage, but it seems to be a major concern for you lockaphobics.

Most experts recommend placing name, address, phone number and trip details in your suitcase in case the tags are lost.

It may not be valuable to you, but most security experts don't recommend you give this up information up, and slipping it from an unlocked pocket is easy.

Comparing locks on luggage to mail is stupid, do you come from so far in the sticks you've never seen po boxs and locked mail boxes?

Of course, you can certainly continue to justify your actions in your own mind, most experts and prudent people lock theirs.

Most experts recommend placing name, address, phone number and trip details in your suitcase in case the tags are lost.

It may not be valuable to you, but most security experts don't recommend you give this up information up, and slipping it from an unlocked pocket is easy.

I always put travel info, stapled inside each piece of luggage, camera case, binoc case, backpack, etc. I am confused about your statement that "most experts recommend placing name" etc and then the statement "but most security experts don't recommend you give this info up", etc. Question: what is the best way to i.d. your luggage, in case it becomes misplaced, lost etc. I want that lost luggage ret. asap, to where I am on my journey, so I always give info about where we are ....hotel, ship, etc. and the dates. If someone finds my luggage at DFW (Dallas), and wants to travel 100 miles to break into my house, while I am on vacaton, they will be met with a huge dog and the dog's "sitters" who live at our home 24/7 til we return. gg Please do tell me what you do to insure your luggage is ret. to you, if you do not give up any info about yourself.

I hope if on our travels our suitcases end up side by side when being scrutinized by a thief to rifle through, I'm sure he will appreciate that yours are unlocked.

I've yet to see ANYONE recommend placing valuables in the luggage, but it seems to be a major concern for you lockaphobics.

Comparing locks on luggage to mail is stupid, do you come from so far in the sticks you've never seen po boxs and locked mail boxes?

Of course, you can certainly continue to justify your actions in your own mind, most experts and prudent people lock theirs.

My wife and I read travel advice books with gusto. It is my experience that most travel experts do NOT recommend locking suitcases. In fact, one of the most respected travel authorities, Rick Steves, reveals that he personally does not lock his own luggage. And this is advice formulated from over 120 days of travel per year for the last 30 years.

I would defer to the prudence that he has developed throughout his travels, not yours. He provides this sage advice without the condescending tone that you have in your latest post. Calling people 'lockaphobics', telling them their comments are 'stupid', that they must live 'in the sticks' because of their opinions, is rude and insulting, and has no place in discussions such as this.

I always put travel info, stapled inside each piece of luggage, camera case, binoc case, backpack, etc. I am confused about your statement that "most experts recommend placing name" etc and then the statement "but most security experts don't recommend you give this info up", etc. Question: what is the best way to i.d. your luggage, in case it becomes misplaced, lost etc. I want that lost luggage ret. asap, to where I am on my journey, so I always give info about where we are ....hotel, ship, etc. and the dates. If someone finds my luggage at DFW (Dallas), and wants to travel 100 miles to break into my house, while I am on vacaton, they will be met with a huge dog and the dog's "sitters" who live at our home 24/7 til we return. gg Please do tell me what you do to insure your luggage is ret. to you, if you do not give up any info about yourself.

I believe "travel experts" recommend having your contact info available so that if your luggage goes to Brazil and your in Alaska, it will eventually catch up with you. On the other hand, "security" experts would advise not to as it might aid someone at your hometown airport that your not home, etc.

A whiles back we had a building inspection: the FD wanted the roof door kept unlocked for their easy access while the health dept wanted it locked to keep out intruders to protect the tenants...:confused:

On my luggage tags I have only my name, cell phone and work telephone numbers (call collect if necessary). If on a cruise I add the name of the ship and the telephone number for it.

I believe "travel experts" recommend having your contact info available so that if your luggage goes to Brazil and your in Alaska, it will eventually catch up with you. On the other hand, "security" experts would advise not to as it might aid someone at your hometown airport that your not home, etc.

I put my work address & phone number or my parents' address & phone number, plus my cell phone number - that way, nobody has my home address. I live in an apartment, so my address isn't exactly listed in a phone book.

The point being you don't give that info easily, YOU LOCK IT IN YOUR BAG.

My wife and I read travel advice books with gusto. It is my experience that most travel experts do NOT recommend locking suitcases. In fact, one of the most respected travel authorities, Rick Steves, reveals that he personally does not lock his own luggage. And this is advice formulated from over 120 days of travel per year for the last 30 years.

I would defer to the prudence that he has developed throughout his travels, not yours. He provides this sage advice without the condescending tone that you have in your latest post. Calling people 'lockaphobics', telling them their comments are 'stupid', that they must live 'in the sticks' because of their opinions, is rude and insulting, and has no place in discussions such as this.

If you can't tell the difference between mail and locks either, I thank you for volunteering.

Well, I read Rick Steves too and I don't think he has said that but if he does, he might have also said he likes pickled herring too, but that doesn't mean I do.

These are all your opinions, and you can defer to anyone's advice you wish, I don't care what you do.

We lock our luggage. We don't think that this will prevent stuff being stolen out of our cases, but we think it will provide a degree of deterence for an opportunistic thief. The determined thief will not be deterred, whether the case is open or locked.

Locking the case reduces significantly the chances of the case becoming undone in transit (have seen this on several occasions, on luggage carousels at airports) and spilling its contents everywhere. Most folks could do without a view of my underwear!

I try to use TSA-approved combination locks. We have a 'standard' family digit code (two actually, one for 3-digit locks, another for 4-digit locks). This should mean that the lock survives security, so we don't need to buy another.

I fully recognise that there is a group of travellers who never lock their luggage, and another who always lock their luggage. And probably a third who lock their luggage when they can find the lock, which has mysteriously disappeared from its safe keeping place since the last time they used it! Each group is entitled to its opinion. No group has a higher or lower intelligence / common sense / information / etc etc than any of the others, they just have their own opinion.

Well, I read Rick Steves too and I don't think he has said that but if he does, he might have also said he likes pickled herring too, but that doesn't mean I do.

Two quotes from Rick Steve's Europe website in the section under Outsmarting Theives - http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm:

"While I don't lock my zippers, most zippers are lockable, and even a twist-tie or key ring is helpful to keep your bag zipped up tight."

"Luxurious luggage lures thieves. The thief chooses the most impressive suitcase in the pile — never mine."

Just because you don't like pickled herring, doesn't mean it isn't good to eat :D

PS: I don't like it either :eek:

If you aren't supposed to lock your luggage, why does it come with locks?:confused::confused::confused:

If you aren't supposed to drive over the speed limit of 65 or 70mph, why does your car come with a speedometer that reads 140mph? Answer is similar for both questions - to sell their products, manufacturers want to give people the false illusion that they have something they really don't have: the illusion that they have the freedom to drive as fast as they want, and the illusion that they can secure a thin, ease to tear, easy to cut through, easy to rip open, and easy to steal container that's mostly made of fabric and plastic zippers. :rolleyes:

I fully recognise that there is a group of travellers who never lock their luggage, and another who always lock their luggage. And probably a third who lock their luggage when they can find the lock, which has mysteriously disappeared from its safe keeping place since the last time they used it! Each group is entitled to its opinion. No group has a higher or lower intelligence / common sense / information / etc etc than any of the others, they just have their own opinion.

Finally, a spark of reason in an otherwise conflicting discussion. :)

We lock our luggage. We don't think that this will prevent stuff being stolen out of our cases, but we think it will provide a degree of deterence for an opportunistic thief. The determined thief will not be deterred, whether the case is open or locked.

Locking the case reduces significantly the chances of the case becoming undone in transit (have seen this on several occasions, on luggage carousels at airports) and spilling its contents everywhere. Most folks could do without a view of my underwear!

I try to use TSA-approved combination locks. We have a 'standard' family digit code (two actually, one for 3-digit locks, another for 4-digit locks). This should mean that the lock survives security, so we don't need to buy another.

Finally.....someone who speaks with clarity and states what he does, but understands that there are those who may have a different opinion. Thank you for your clarity and your respect for others. Much appreciated. gg

Two quotes from Rick Steve's Europe website in the section under Outsmarting Theives - http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm:

"While I don't lock my zippers, most zippers are lockable, and even a twist-tie or key ring is helpful to keep your bag zipped up tight."

"Luxurious luggage lures thieves. The thief chooses the most impressive suitcase in the pile — never mine."

Just because you don't like pickled herring, doesn't mean it isn't good to eat :D

No recommendation not to lock luggage that I see, in fact advocates securing it somehow.

If you aren't supposed to drive over the speed limit of 65 or 70mph, why does your car come with a speedometer that reads 140mph? Answer is similar for both questions - to sell their products, manufacturers want to give people the false illusion that they have something they really don't have: the illusion that they have the freedom to drive as fast as they want, and the illusion that they can secure a thin, ease to tear, easy to cut through, easy to rip open, and easy to steal container that's mostly made of fabric and plastic zippers. :rolleyes:

Well, you get an "A" for effort, but that's a ridiculous analogy, cars can and do go over the speed limit, luggage can be and is locked.

My luggage is hardsided with a lever lock by the way, no zippers required so perhaps you should expand your intellect instead of rolling your eyes?

Nice try:rolleyes:

Never heard of the Autobahn or other places with no speed limit have you?

New marketing ploy announced: Cars with speedometers, luggage with locks:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stop embarrassing yourself, you don't have to lock your luggage or try to convince me not to lock mine.

Here are is a couple of web sites that you may find interesting on the subject travel security. I really like Corporate Travel Safety because the author is a policeman that investigates airport crimes in LA. At this web site you can not only read about travel security there is also a list of product that will aid in the prevention. He also offers an audio book Traveler Beware! This 90 minute CD offers many great tips on keeping you travels safe. I have it and I have learned a lot.

In this CD he recommends locking your luggage but in the second link below he also recommends locking your carry on as well. To tell you the truth I never thought of locking my carry on before but his reasoning makes sense to me since I carry the more important items on my carry on. I also feel better locking my carry on too because of the many times my carry on gets gate checked.

He suggests Secure Tag Luggage Zipper Lock or Triple Lockdown Luggage Lock for luggage with zippers. While these products will not stop someone from breaking into your bags zipper but it will make it difficult for a thief to cover their tracks.

http://www.crimedoctor.com/cruise1.htm

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/category/airport-safety/tip/airline-on-board-theft

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/traveler-beware-audio-book-p-73.html

Shak

Woo Hoo!:D

We have a winner?!?:rolleyes:

Rick says to secure your zippers, thanks for clearing that up!

Most "experts" want your zippers secured, even when walking down the street so that prying hands can't access the contents.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm

Here are is a couple of web sites that you may find interesting on the subject travel security. I really like Corporate Travel Safety because the author is a policeman that investigates airport crimes in LA. At this web site you can not only read about travel security there is also a list of product that will aid in the prevention. He also offers an audio book Traveler Beware! This 90 minute CD offers many great tips on keeping you travels safe. I have it and I have learned a lot.

In this CD he recommends locking your luggage but in the second link below he also recommends locking your carry on as well. To tell you the truth I never thought of locking my carry on before but his reasoning makes sense to me since I carry the more important items on my carry on. I also feel better locking my carry on too because of the many times my carry on gets gate checked.

He suggests Secure Tag Luggage Zipper Lock or Triple Lockdown Luggage Lock for luggage with zippers. While these products will not stop someone from breaking into your bags zipper but it will make it difficult for a thief to cover their tracks.

http://www.crimedoctor.com/cruise1.htm

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/category/airport-safety/tip/airline-on-board-theft

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/traveler-beware-audio-book-p-73.html

Shak

I personally appreciate all these people not locking their luggage, it makes it so much easier for the thieves to choose them instead of me:D:D:D

Woo Hoo!:D

We have a winner?!?:rolleyes:

Rick says to secure your zippers, thanks for clearing that up!

Most "experts" want your zippers secured, even when walking down the street so that prying hands can't access the contents.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm

Steves is simply saying that he doesn't lock his own luggage but that they can be twist-tied to keep the zippers 'tight' from opening. Interpret that however you prefer, but what he says is pretty clear.

Some of us don't lock our luggage and are comfortable with that. Others, like Deckhandoug and Zambezi lock theirs, and take this opportunity to use sarcasm and ridicule to make their point (why they need to turn a discussion ugly is a mystery to me since opposite opinions don't hurt them in any way).

Bottom line is do whatever you are comfortable with. If you prefer to lock your luggage, then by all means do so. Doing so doesn't offend me in any way. If you prefer not to lock your luggage, no need to change. Some of us, including some professional travelers, have been doing so for years without incident. No need to make fun or disparage those with opposite views. Just continue enjoying your vacations. After all, isn't that the main thing we are all trying to do?

Time to share the peace pipe?

You brought up the same lame comparison on the recent thread about someone having jewelry stolen out of her luggage, so to remind you, I'll post here what I posted there:

"Totally different situation. My house isn't hidden in some warehouse or storage area with dozens of people handling it, and possibly hundreds of people having access to it. My car is almost always out in the open, and like my house, not being handled by the many people who pick it up, move it to different locations, and place it where they decide it needs to be, possibly in a hidden area. Unlocking a car is more complicated than pushing a cheap ball point pen through a zipper, which anyone can do (try it yourself to see how easy is actually is). Certain specialized tools are required and skills are needed to know how to break into a car since every make is slightly different in how it is constructed. Plus, my home and car have an alarm system which hopefully will draw attention should they be tampered with, while my luggage sits quietly while it is being abused."

And one other point I didn't make before - my home is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the furnishings are worth a considerable amount as well. My car is only a few years old, and it is probably worth ten to twenty thousand dollars (but nothing inside is worth more than a few dollars, so there is nothing of value to steal out of it). On the other hand, my suitcase, and it's contents, are probably worth less than $1,000.

I do the same thing for passwords. For places I want total security, and can expect it to be reliable, such as on-line banking, I use a strong password. For places I don't worry about, I either don't use a password, or I use an easy one. CruiseCritic is an example of where I use an easy password - if my membership gets hacked, what have I lost? Same with my luggage. Everything I have in that suitcase can be replaced with little impact. Sure, if it happens I have to go through the trouble of replacing every item, but I don't pack items I will regret losing. I keep those in my carry on. For that my "lock" is my eyes, arms and hands.

Like I said - totally different situations.

Steves is simply saying that he doesn't lock his own luggage but that they can be twist-tied to keep the zippers 'tight' from opening. Interpret that however you prefer, but what he says is pretty clear.

Some of us don't lock our luggage and are comfortable with that. Others, like Deckhandoug and Zambezi lock theirs, and take this opportunity to use sarcasm and ridicule to make their point (why they need to turn a discussion ugly is a mystery to me since opposite opinions don't hurt them in any way).

Bottom line is do whatever you are comfortable with. If you prefer to lock your luggage, then by all means do so. Doing so doesn't offend me in any way. If you prefer not to lock your luggage, no need to change. Some of us, including some professional travelers, have been doing so for years without incident. No need to make fun or disparage those with opposite views. Just continue enjoying your vacations. After all, isn't that the main thing we are all trying to do?

Time to share the peace pipe?

No Boggs, it was actually you that started the ugliness by calling someone elses post lame.

We can all scroll through the thread and see it:rolleyes:

No Boggs, it was actually you that started the ugliness by calling someone elses post lame.

We can all scroll through the thread and see it:rolleyes:

Your reply reminds me of my brother and I whenever my mother caught us fighting - "But Mom, he started it!!!" :)

Your are correct, "lame" was a poor choice of a word, but it refered to the comparison being made, not the post in gerneral. If I had used "unconvincing" instead, as in "the same unconvincing comparison", the meaning would have been the same, but the word would not have been so negative. Sorry about that - my bad.

Now it's your turn to make ammends :D

Archived