Has anyone rented a car in Antigua?

MsCruiserT

Would like to know what the road conditions are, how easy/difficult to find your way around. I do know that driving is on the left and that we need to pay for a local permit. We in town on a cruise so we plan to see Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Fig Tree Drive and Darkwood Beach, before returning to St. John's.

Would like to know what the road conditions are, how easy/difficult to find your way around. I do know that driving is on the left and that we need to pay for a local permit. We in town on a cruise so we plan to see Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Fig Tree Drive and Darkwood Beach, before returning to St. John's.

It sounds like you've already looked into the cost of a one day rental, expensive because of the cost of a driver's permit.

The route you're proposing is a popular one, so the roads aren't too bad. Take it carefully and look out for livestock and potholes.

Signposts are few and far between so get a good map. The trickest turn is for the road to Fig Tree Drive, coming back from English Harbour and Shirley Heights. Look out for a pink church on the right by the junction, where you want to turn left.

It sounds like you've already looked into the cost of a one day rental, expensive because of the cost of a driver's permit.

The route you're proposing is a popular one, so the roads aren't too bad. Take it carefully and look out for livestock and potholes.

Signposts are few and far between so get a good map. The trickest turn is for the road to Fig Tree Drive, coming back from English Harbour and Shirley Heights. Look out for a pink church on the right by the junction, where you want to turn left.

Thanks for the comments. There will be at least 4 of us so it's not so bad when we split the cost of the rental. I hope the car rental company will supply us with a good map.

Have rented a car many times on Antigua. Cost is up to you but it's a great way to get around as you wish, on your own schedule. You have to watch for potholes, especially the 'scallop' type at the edge of the road. You won't be driving in the dark so that's one major hazard you don't have. Just watch out for the bikes, kids, dogs, pigs, goats, donkeys, chickens and you will be fine. Look, the whole island is only about 10mi by 10mi. How lost could you get? Speeds are low. I doubt if you will ever see 50mph. The common tourist map is adequate but not great. Try Google maps and print it out before you go. It looks better to me. You will be on the western side of the island only and I see no reason to go east.

Archived