Review Island Sky, Noble Caledonia, Baltic Renaissance

Yggdrasil98

Enjoyable Small Ship Cruising!

As there is no Cruise Line thread and I had trouble find recent info for this company, I've been advised to post my review in the regular section of the Board. Hopefully if there is a more suitable section Moderators will move it :)

I will start with pretty much the only two negatives I have, and it still relevant if re-booking with NC. The admin side in London, more particularly if you are International and not British, is the lack of info which is forthcoming upon querying details such as internet, shore trips etc. To go through a system of Chinese Whispers to receive any info, and basically told by NC to just go away and ask our local agent requires 6 email communications and if the query is not answered fully, it all starts again. Most Brits were quite happy with the NC booking, however there were several other passengers who also were dissatisfied with the booking and admin side of things. So the London office still gets a big thumbs down, with Cruiseco in Aus not as bad but not interested either really. The other was the Vegetarian Food, I dont’ feel qualified to comment on the other menu, though it was beautifully presented.

The cruise itself was fabulous. The crew, every one of them, receive five stars from me. I can’t compare this kind of cruising with the Mega Ships, as it is quite a different experience entirely. I can compare with an APT River Cruise, which I have done, as it is also small ship sailing.

My single cabin was spacious (really a double) and had loads of wardrobe space, and hangers, lounge settee, square metre of window, and I was in Cabin 330, the closest to the bow. The ship provided Television, movies, library, complimentary bottled water, both for the cabin and the shore excursions.

WIFI GBP12.00 per 100 minutes, and as I had my laptop, wrote my correspondence then logged on for usually 10 minute sessions. Daily schedules accurate and cabin attendants fantastic. The reception, cabin attendant and many of the wait staff knew my name from the minute I stepped onto the ship. I cannot speak highly enough of the efficiency and friendliness and great atmosphere on this ship. Most of the crew are Phillipino, and quite obviously enjoy working together. I hope they really look after their staff, because the level of relaxed friendliness, care and efficiency is not that common these days IMO.

24 hour complimentary tea and coffee, all meals were provided, including afternoon tea every day and I would rate them quite highly at 3.5 to 4 stars. The cakes looked beautiful, and prepared with care, but some were quite bland. The other thing I would say I would like to see improved is the Vegetarian options were as with most other ships is very limited. It was diced vegetables mostly, served in a variety of guises, but mostly just tasted like diced vegetables. However, if you request special food, the chef is very obliging when able. If you wished to come back to the ship for lunch, there was usually a complimentary shuttle to take you back into town, unless it was only 500metres or so, which several ports were as being a small ship meant we docked quite close to the old city centres.

I had to attend the ship hospital and doctor on several occasions as I had an accident and cut my foot on broken glass, long story, and nothing to do with the ship at all, just bad luck. The Doctor attended my cabin immediately, and I was helped to the hospital (I refused the wheelchair). I had several more appointments for cleaning and dressing my wound, and can’t fault the care at all.

Shore excursions were all included with the exception of extra tours in St Petersburg. This was one of my issues with NC with lack of information. I was also advised in writing that I could not book these on the ship, which was also inaccurate as we were given the opportunity to do this when we boarded. Knowing little of what to expect in the end gave up trying to find out info and just booked in advance and hoped for the best. All were fairly good, though a couple of excursions were not really of interest to me, but all guides well informed, interesting and organisation was excellent.

I would indeed sail on the Island Sky again, and we were told that NC have just bought her sister ship which will be sailing in a few months. I found the Sky totally to suits my needs, and only wish NC would be more understanding of international guests and first timers who require a little more info to feel comfortable booking and undertaking their holidays.

Thank you for your nicely detailed report. We have been looking at her Tristan De Cuhna and beyond trip for next year and it looks good. So few ships still go there that it sounds like grab it or it will be gone sort of thing -- on any ship that calls there. So to get such a good ship overall as your reports indicated is a bonus. We traveled on the MV Discovery so we know we like these older ships, unique itinerary and enrichment heavy cruise options.

Archived