Formal Night on the Gem?

dmp203

Who knows who'll you meet on a cruise? It's completely arbitrary! We've met nice and not-so-nice folks on all different cruise lines (BTW the rudest were on RCCL, purely by happenstance). You're so lucky you were given a cruise as a present. I'd even take Carnival as a present (heeheehee)!

GEEZE!! Some people ars so sensitive. This is why I always hesitate to post on NCL. Everytime I have posted something on NCL someone always is offensive or offended. I have never had this problem on RCCL boards. Only reason we are sailing on NCL is we didn't get to pick. It's a gift from children for anniversary. I hope the passengers on our cruise have at least some sense of humor.

I think you will find it the same on all the boards when an "outsider" comes on or someone who likes another cruise line.

When I was about to take my RCCL cruise in 2008, I went on the RCCL board for answers to questions. As soon as people saw my signature (that I had only sailed NCL), they jumped all over me and made snide comments about me "Moving up in the world of cruising" , etc.

That of course set off my defense mechanism and I was never comfortable on that board. Go to the HAL board if you really want to be offended or attacked...they are the worst.

I'm not even going to touch the earlier notes. Just browsed looking to see if "Formal" night existed on NCL. 1st time on NCL in many years and I know they promote the "Freestyle" so wasn't sure if I needed the Tux (probably won't fit now) break out the Suit or just bring a jacket and no Tie. We are now on cruise 36, many with RCCL, but have been around on many lines from many ports over the years. Started cruising whne Every night had a "Midnight Buffet" even if your weren't hungry. But have seen over the years cruising has changed the Buffet have dwindled and so has dressing for diner. Early years a jacket on a few nights was normal and the Formal dress was really a formal event. Was also a time when the Captain dined most nights in the main dining room with invited guest ( usually the ones with several cruises) but now you don't see him anymore except on RCCL he does show up once or twice for diner. So guess I'm seeing it's leave the Tux at home, butttt I think I'll still bring a Suit. After 20 + years of cruising I still like to see the wife all dressed up with those expensive jewels I bought in some port along the way. Shes old now but still looks good to me.

Ease up on the "bad people" who ever they are and who may have implied or not implied there was or wasn't any. The boards are about info and good sharing. Waste of time and space to focus on "bad things"

I think you will find it the same on all the boards when an "outsider" comes on or someone who likes another cruise line.

When I was about to take my RCCL cruise in 2008, I went on the RCCL board for answers to questions. As soon as people saw my signature (that I had only sailed NCL), they jumped all over me and made snide comments about me "Moving up in the world of cruising" , etc.

That of course set off my defense mechanism and I was never comfortable on that board. Go to the HAL board if you really want to be offended or attacked...they are the worst.

Couldn't help but comment. Having been on several roll calls and cruise lines, it is amazing how some "Own" the cruise line like there child. In fact there was a time I did own a piece of RCCL. 100 shares got you an automatic $100 ship board credit. Sold the shares they don't give the same onboard credits and the stock was a loser. I do like the Diamond status though gets you in the short line at check-in and few extra frills.

You are right though how nasty some can be. The facts are RCCL is for the ("DINK's) Duel Income No Kids, and lite senior, Holland is for the sleepers They like taking naps in their wheel chairs or pool chairs in the afternoon, Carnival are the party people they like fun and drinks. Heck I remeber when Carnival had two ships "Carnival" and Mari Gras" and could only afford a Canvas Banner they hung over the side that said "FUB SHIPS". Now look at them. Was last on NCL when they had midnight buffet and YES they had a formal night" That was pre-Freestyle they had to change to get their nook in the industry. NCL is the Yuppie crowd or whatever they call them now, They just like to go against the grain. The others cruise lines are worth mentioning. This is just the way it is folks. I have crusied them all and never had a bad cruise yet. I Take that back, many years ago we took a cruise and I had some expectation and I was disappoint. So never again did I take a cruise with expectations. I just enjoyed them for what they offer.

If you want a thrill Take the RCCL cruise when the HOGS of the seas take their cruise. On board with 1600 bikers otu of 2500 guest and the Captain Johnny was a HOG too and had his bike on baord. The pool parties where a blast. You have never seen a belly flot contest until you have sailed with them. Longest beard contest. And yes there was a Formal night except it was call "Formal or Dressed Leathers" they spent a fortune on those leathers.

When you go on other boards or roll calls you have to grease up your feathers cause someone is gonna take a shot at you but got to let that just roll off your back and don't let it ruffle your feathers.

All I can say is you are too funny! What's your next NCL cruise?

Next Cruise is the "Star" out of Tampa (20 minute ride for us) . This is the first full season for NCL in Tampa along with RCCL giving Carnival (year round) a bit of a go. Nothing after that planned cruise wise. May do something in late spring. Maybe the Allure, did the Oasis in January 2010. Like to do New England/Canada again but next September going to Kenya for a 11 day Safari. Wearing out the sea legs from 2 or 3 cruise a year to just 1 now. :D

• 2 months later...

We have traveled many times on NCL. Part of the fun IS dressing up. But then anything goes. You make your own fun, and you do what is comfortable.

I dress in dressy slacks and a glittery top for evening dining in the restaurants, on Dress Up Night (which is optional), most who dine in the restaurants DO dress nicely, not as formal as a tux, but then there are a few who like to go all the way...

My husband usually wears a suit for the more formal night, when you can get your picture taken with the Captian. I wear a dressy gown, or cocktail dress.

For the other nights, by husband wears dress pants and a nice shirt. He does not like to dress up. So to each his own, but I won't go too casual at the restaurant. If you want casual, you can go to the Buffet. Have fun. And don't miss the shows, they are great. The musicians in the bars are good too.

I get to Broadway alot, living in NJ and these shows are just as good...

PS> If you want to dine in a specialty restaurant, make reservations early. And you can make reservations at the regualar restaurants too. But do that early in the day too.

Bring a highlighter to mark off all the activities of the day that interest you.

We love the continueing Trivia game. And have made some great friends from our last cruise.

But relax, have fun, and don't worry about the little stuff. As long as we have sun, a good bed to sleep in and a loved one to share the experience. You have it all!

Archived