What is the best way to see for yourself?

springdal

What is the best way to see Cozumel for yourself? I'm thinking about not booking any tours and just venturing out on our own, but having never been there before, don't really know where to start. Snorkeling or scuba diving would be great. Any help is appreciated

First, are you scuba certified? If not, you could and should try a discover scuba. Many dive operators offer this. http://www.eagleraydivers.com/DiveTrips.htm is often mentioned here as being a good choice for cruisers. I like http://www.bluextseadiving.com for diving. I've also read good things about http://www.scubawithalison.com/. If none of these operators can accommodate you, there are about 70-80 other dive operators on Cozumel to choose from.

If you are wanting to see most of the island, then renting a car is an excellent idea, if you can do some research ahead of time so you know where to go. Get the map from http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel_map.html if you really want to learn about what there is to see on the island. The map is more than just a map, it is an excellent travel guide to Cozumel.

Finally, there are at least 2 other web sites you should look over for more information about what to see/do on Cozumel

http://www.cozumelinsider.com be sure to read the car rental part and get the extra damage insurance. You just might save yourself a HUGE headache.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com Excellent opinions and suggestions from an island resident.

http://www.travelnotes.cc reviews of dive operations, hotels, and more.

Ok, that is 3 sites. They all offer good if somewhat different information.

BTW, in the future it might be better for us if you could give a little information about yourself and your interests. We'd be able to give a better response to your request for help.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

That's what I would do. I have a One Day on the Island section on my website that lays out a specific Exploring on Your Own via rental car or without a car that you might find helpful. I gave it quite a lot of thought in terms of easy, impossible to get lost routes and plenty of landmark details to help you find things.

Coz is a friendly, safe place to visit. You don't have to worry about striking out on your own here as you would in quite a few other carribbean destinations I can think of. In short, your instincts to explore on your own are good ones. I'll bet you'll end up coming back next time as a land visitor once you see for yourself how nice it is here -- especially when you don't just hang with the other cruise passengers.

We are also thinking of renting a car and exploring the island when we dock. Have read the tips at my cozumel (excellent:) ) but am still wondering. Is the city (town, village, etc.) difficult to navigate? I'm worried that's it's like Playa Del Carmen, which having been driven through it many times, I still find confusing. Lots of cars, one way streets, etc. SO...would it be like that? I think of myself as a confident driver and can handle typical American traffic. I just don't want to get in an accident, or get so lost that I spend all day trying to get out of the city instead of exploring the beautiful island.

I've given this quite a bit of thought and put together an itinerary that makes touring on your own with a car pretty much failsafe. One of the keys is to avoid town with a car. Not that's it so hard to get around once you understand the layout, but who needs the aggravation when you've only got a few hours. You can see a whole lot of the island without ever getting confused or in a traffic snarl. I'm not going to lay the whole route out here as I've got to got and take a chicken out of the oven. But there's a story about this on my website that you may find helpful. Hope so. Because its fun to get out on your own here.

Bye now. Gotta go!

We are also thinking of renting a car and exploring the island when we dock. Have read the tips at my cozumel (excellent:) ) but am still wondering. Is the city (town, village, etc.) difficult to navigate? I'm worried that's it's like Playa Del Carmen, which having been driven through it many times, I still find confusing. Lots of cars, one way streets, etc. SO...would it be like that? I think of myself as a confident driver and can handle typical American traffic. I just don't want to get in an accident, or get so lost that I spend all day trying to get out of the city instead of exploring the beautiful island.

There is one main road that circles the island so it is difficult to get lost. The roads are in pretty good shape. THe downtown area can be a little congested, but what downtown doesn't? The streets downtown are designed in a grid formation so if you study the map a little before you go, you'll be OK.

I've given this quite a bit of thought and put together an itinerary that makes touring on your own with a car pretty much failsafe. One of the keys is to avoid town with a car. Not that's it so hard to get around once you understand the layout, but who needs the aggravation when you've only got a few hours. You can see a whole lot of the island without ever getting confused or in a traffic snarl. I'm not going to lay the whole route out here as I've got to got and take a chicken out of the oven. But there's a story about this on my website that you may find helpful. Hope so. Because its fun to get out on your own here.

Bye now. Gotta go!

BTW a link to her website can be found in her profile. Just click on Carey's name. It is a fabulous site IMHO.

Downtown San Miguel is much worse than Playa! We have more one way streets (that are sometimes just a suggestion), more traffic (Playa plus 40,00 scooters) and I swear...more crazy taxi drivers! AVOID if at all possible. Especially trying to find the gas station on 30th. I see so many tourist turn the wrong way trying to get there and have accidents.

Unless you just stick to a couple of the main arteries and I agree it is best avoided by car if you're only on the island one day. Use taxis for town trips.

But there's absolutely no need to go downtown to get gas. There is a brand new gas station almost directly across the street from the Puerta Maya Cruise ship pier and 2 blocks south of the INternational Pier. And 1.5 miles from the Punta Langosta pier on a straight, can miss it route.

There's also a gas station on the outskirts of town as you come across the island on the cross island road. Not too many people use the downtown gas station any more. It is a hassle getting in and out. But the other two are great.

By the way, you're not going to use up very much gas. This is a small island. You'd be hard pressed to use a quarter tank driving around for 6 hours.

Tip for gas stations. Just pay an exact amount -- don't say fill 'er up. To give you an idea, $200 pesos puts 6-8 gallons of gas in my Ford Taurus wagon. Tell them $100 pesos or $150 pesos depending on the size of car and the amount you've driven it.

Another tip. Stop the car and jump right out and stare at the pump. That's to be sure the attendant 00's it out before starting your fill. There has been some abuse with this but if you get out and look right at the pump, you won't have a problem.

Tip the attendee a couple of pesos -- that's a nice thing to do.

If you want a deal on a rental, check what Cozumel Insider has with Avis. Lots of folks have been very pleased with the rates and the pick-up / delivery of vehicles. Also Rentadora Marlin is in the International Cruise Terminal and downtown about 50 feet north of Juarez on 10 AV. Real good people.

Also I believe you'll find lots of coupons available from Sherri's site. You can click on the banner ad at the top of this forum, or http://www.cozumelinsider.com

Good luck.

Wow, thanks for all sorts of great tips. I was planning on avoiding downtown anyhow since I had read something about bad parking. Looking forward to driving round the island and seeing the sights. It just dawned on me that in two weeks I'll actually BE at Cozumel! I better get packing:eek: :)

Just some driving info...

I just got back to the office from being on all 3 piers this morning. Traffic was backed up almost a 1/2 mile before you got to the International Pier. Same nightmare yesterday. Saw 3 accidents involving tourists including 1 Jeep trying to turn in to gas station in town on 30th going the wrong direction.

Just a word of warning about filling up rental vehicles. You'd better make darn sure it comes back with exactly the same amount in it as you left with. The rental companies charge you a fortune to fill them! And just another tip, we use liters here not gallons. The price is per liter and in pesos, not dollars.

This is a great thread - packed with info. There will be 5 of us, so we won't fit in a small car. When looking online most of the rentals I see are for small cars or jeeps - has anyone rented something different - if so, where? Prices seem to go from $20 something a day to $50 for a jeep, but no medium cars with air and automatic. I also read at another time about being sure to get the insurance when renting - is that the additional liability that I see on the websites for about $30? I thought I had read that it was about $10?

Thanks for all the help

Avis, along with other recognized rental companies, has larger vehicles too. Check their website.

The extra insurance you want is Loss Damage Waiver ( 19.99 USD per day ), unless you are carrying a lot of cash/travelers checks. You will have to pay for damage to the vehicle BEFORE you leave Cozumel. Your credit card won't cover you here. They might reimburse you when you get home, but then again, they might not.

Additional Liability Insurance(10.99 USD per day) is also worth some serious consideration. I think this is included if you rent a car from Avis by going thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com Check that website to be sure.

Finally, if you want a larger car/mini-van, definitely reserve ahead of time. There is not a huge fleet of big cars in Cozumel. There IS a huge fleet of jeeps.

OH and another question. I speak some very limited (muy pico) spanish that I've picked up for travels around Mexico. I tend to try to learn a couple of phrases that apply to what we will be doing. Is there any really good phrases/words to know that would apply to renting a car, traveling around the island and/or gas stations. I realize I'll find a lot of people that speak english, but I like to use my trips as an opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks, when I go to Avis's site, I see 4 pickup points for Avis. I'm guessing the cruise ship pier would be where I want to pickup?
Yep, that would be the one, except now comes the confusing part. There are 3 cruise piers in Coz. One is close to town and the other 2 are right next to each other a bit further south. I think the Avis place is at one of the 2 southern piers, Puerta Maya and the International pier. You will also need to know which pier your ships will use. Check Here for an idea which pier it will be.

Archived