Horseback riding

springdal

https://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/PlayaHorsebackSecureReservation.htm

Here's where I booked the horseback riding for next week.

You booked horseback riding in Costa Maya for next week through this company? I thought I remember alot of people saying that Island Marketing no longer had horseback riding available in Costa Maya.

Oh I am sorry I am booked at Playa de Carmen. Please Forgive ME.

Well I forgive you and I also thank you. Since you told me about them, I went on their website and checked it out again. Although they do not offer horseback riding in Costa Maya, they do have it available in Grand Cayman where we were planning on just doing a beach day. So as it turns out ... we're going to go horseback riding in Grand Cayman and have to find something else to do in Costa Maya.

We were thinking about ATVs in Costa Maya. Has anyone ever done the ATV tours in Costa Maya that wasn't through the cruiseline?

They used to offer horseback riding informally right on the beach. The govt now prohibits this. All horseback riding is inland. At Tequila Beach in Mahahual, they offer horseback riding at $75/pp, however they will discount that immediately if you haggle.

we were able to rent horses at the beach, we haggled about the price and ended up paying $25 PP for an hour (in reality we rode about 45 min). Anyway my kids loved it and we got some great pictures riding on the beach.

Just remember - horses leave nice little gifts on those pristine beaches. I recall some people riding horses on a beach near Mazatlan on which I was sunning, and thought it looked very fun. Then I went in the water, where their "afteraffects" were floating in great numbers. I left the area. It was, frankly, disgusting.

Not to gross people out, but think of the people who will use the beach after you. None of us likes litter, but horses are rather large, mobile littering machines.

Browe said that horses on beaches have been banned. This, to me, is a good thing.

we were able to rent horses at the beach
When was this? I was there around the end of March 2006 and was told by the information booth at the entrance to Mahahual and by the folks at Tequila Beach that horses are prohibited on the beaches now due to the "gifts" :-) There definitely were no horse on the beach when we were there.

When was this? I was there around the end of March 2006 and was told by the information booth at the entrance to Mahahual and by the folks at Tequila Beach that horses are prohibited on the beaches now due to the "gifts" :-) There definitely were no horse on the beach when we were there.

We were the only one's I saw riding horses. We came across a "corral" on the street behind the main beach street. We did not ride on the main beach area, we rode further down where there was no people and not a lot of beach. We were in Costa maya Sept 05.

By the way, I (think) I saw a carnival excursion for horseback riding. Maybe someone is doing tours more inland, if so we will probably ride again this October.

we were able to rent horses at the beach, we haggled about the price and ended up paying $25 PP for an hour (in reality we rode about 45 min). Anyway my kids loved it and we got some great pictures riding on the beach.

Hi * thanks for the info!

Could you please tell me what beach this was at that you haggled the prices down? Is there a little hut with something distinguising so we can find the right place and get great prices like this? TIA!:)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We booked an excusion independent of the cruiseline in Costa Maya when we were there on August 9th. We booked through MayahualTours.com. At the time they were running a special that included free passes to the Tequila Beach Club in addition to the horseback riding.

As far as the horseback riding went, we were pleased and glad we did it. Our guides explained that the tour is relatively new and that they have plans for adding more to it as time goes on. We did get to see some Mayan stuff, including a real life Mayan woman living in a hut on the ranch. The horses were in good shape and they did their best to pair you up with one according to your riding ability. Some walked the whole thing while others had the chance to trot & gallop. For us at least, it was just a plain nice experience.

Unfortunately, we had a problem with the Tequila Beach portion of the tour. We were supposed to receive drinks, snacks, etc. for free but ended up having to pay for them. I EMAIL'd MayahualTours.com when we returned home and have to say they took the matter very seriously, were able to find the source of the problem (we were mistakenly given the wrong color wristbands) and are compensating us due to the mix-up. Based on their genuine interest in addressing the problem, I'd recommend them.

Tequila Beach, by the way, is an area just before you get to the "town" of Mayahual and has a sheltered pavillion area, tables & chairs w/ umbrellas, a volleyball area and a pier where we saw a whole group of folks jumping off maybe 20 feet above the water. Very nearby they were renting waverunners. If you're looking for a nice place just to hang out and enjoy the beach it'd be a really good choice.

Hope this helped. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi we are going in March just wondering the cost to horse back ride? Also is there an age limit? We will have a 7 year old with us. Thank you

We did the horeseback riding at Tequila Beach last December. We paid $90 for me to snorkel, DW and DD (6 at the time) did the horseback riding. We bought a DVD with pictures on it that they were selling.

We ran into the same problem as John, supposed to get free food/drinks and had to pay for them (DW didn't tell me that until we were back on the ship)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! I'm new to Cruise Critic and have a question I'm hoping someone will know the answer to! We are cruising in July and in Costa Maya we were hoping to find horseback riding on the beach. Has anyone ever done this or know of a reputable company? Thanks!! :)

I didn't see any horseback rides offered anywhere, but there might be one that I missed. Are you, by any chance, going to be stopping at Montego Bay? If so, there is a horseback ride and swim there that is fun. Especially the swim part. I loved that. The people who do this in Montego Bay might also have them in other ports. You could do a search for Chukka Horseback Ride & Swim.

Hey we did horseback riding in costa maya about two years ago, when we returned this year we heard from one of the locals that they do not allow horseback riding on the beach anymore. Having said that, the horses they did have when we were there left something to be desired. Check out your other ports they probably have some good tours available. We used smugglers run in belize for horseback riding, they were the DEAL!!! I would suggest taking a ruins tour with David and Ivan or just hanging out at the beach all day and just relaxing!!!! Enoy your trip:p

Thanks for the help! My niece really wants to go horseback riding on the beach. We can do it in Grand Cayman, but we'd have to give up the Stingray Snorkel. I was looking in Costa Maya because it's the only port we didn't have something we already wanting to do.

My sister found one that rides alongside the beach. Has anyone ever heard of Mayahual Tours and Travel? Scot Stovall is who she's been emailing with. I've never heard of them and didn't want to be booking with someone who wasn't safe and ethical.

My sister found one that rides alongside the beach. Has anyone ever heard of Mayahual Tours and Travel? Scot Stovall is who she's been emailing with. I've never heard of them and didn't want to be booking with someone who wasn't safe and ethical.

I would like to hear more info about this, too.

• 2 months later...

Archived