Need help with Belize...

imfunny

this is not a city I would want to wander around in. the port city looked very poor and rough.

We went with cavetubing.bz and had a great day with our 3 kids on their excursion. Vitilano and Reuben were wonderful!! your children will enjoy it!

Trish

I agree with you that Belize City is not safe. Watched a program on the BBC that showed the gangs in this city. For me, I prefer to get away and take an excursion to the Hoi Chan reef and then on to Ambergris Caye. These are small coral islands which are very safe, only transportation is golf carts.

In 40 days, will be back down there. Have decided to do the shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulker tour thru coralbreezes. The ship, NCL, no longer offers trips to the reef and cave tubing/zip lining is not for me. Prefer to swim in the ocean and watch all those colored fish.

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
Been there three times. This is not a port for sightseeing. Once outside the compound you are beseiged by vendors. The local houses are surrounded by high walls with broken glass imbedded in the mortar and the lower windows have bars on them. Doesn't look that bad in the slums back home. This is definately a port for an organized tour.

Here is my favs:

#1 Cavetubing. This is a hoot. Unless you are physically impaired this is a must do.

#2 Bannister Island Reef Snorkel and Beach Break. Gorgeous place to veg after a short boat snorkel trip.

#3 Cay Caulker. This one may have changed since they changed the water taxis. If I took this one again, it would be thru the ship.

How did the water taxis change?

Archived