Cash or charge?

springdal

To be honest, you're better off taking cash rather than relying on credit cards for a couple of reasons:

1.) Not all shops, restaurants, and/or tours will take credit cards so you will be limited. Plus, those that do take CCs may charge a little more because of how much it costs them to be able to accept credit cards.

2.) A number of people on various message boards have posted that they used their credit card for this or that in Cozumel only to return home, get their credit card statement and have charges show up from places in mainland Mexico. Lots of credit card fraud in Mexico. I'd much rather lose $100 cash in Cozumel than have to deal with fraudulent charges.

3.) It will cost you less to use cash and pretty much everyone accepts USD.

Just my 2-cents.

Take mostly small denomination bills so you can make exact change.

I wouldn't plan on using plastic many places. Los Cinco Soles takes plastic and probably most of the tourist restaurants and bigger shops, but most of the smaller merchants won't like to take plastic. The fees the banks charge the merchants to accept credit cards are very high, much higher than here in the states.

Cozumel is a very safe place, so I wouldn't worry too much about carrying cash.

Archived