touring Sydney--January 23, 2012

west23hill

We have just received the tours that are being offered by Regent for Sydney. They don't look too exciting. Does anyone want to join us and get an independent tour together (6 people?)

Has anyone done an independent tour in Sydney before??

let us know please

bev

We loved Sydney Zoo - took ferry from Circular Quay. ticket covered zoo fee and return to Circular Quay - that may have changed by now.

Later, we toured Opera House and attended a production that evening.

On another visit to Sydney we spent one day on ferries to every destination - GREAT!

We also went to Blue Mountains, Canberra, Melbourne, snorkeled Barrier Reef, climbed Ayers Rock (Uluru) in the Outback.

These trips were on three land visits and once by ship.

Dear Bev, Just had to stick my oar in. My husband and I spent several days in Sydney last year before our HAL cruise. We were able to stay in Circular Quay, where your ship is likely to be docked and found so much to do right within walking distance. Much of the waterfront area, including The Rocks is accessible by a walking path. The Opera House is worth an afternoon, to enjoy lunch at one of the outside pubs and then take a tour. We were also able to get last minute tickets to a performance there. You could reserve tickets online before you leave home if you were sure you wanted to do that. Beyond the Opera House is the Royal Botanical Gardens, complete with beautiful vistas, flowers and wild cockatoos. There are ferries to some of the neighboring beach towns, we found Manly to be a pleasant boat ride and dinner spot, many others were swimming and surfing. We also took a walk over the Syndey Harbor Bridge. The view from the road deck of the bridge is great, the view from the climb up the bridge framework is amazing!

Every person we interacted with in Australia was wonderfully helpful and they all speak English. We felt very safe and comfortable on our own there!

Hope you have a great trip. For us, Australia was the most magical place. We plan to return there soon. Would love to find a way to retire there!

Dear Bev, Just had to stick my oar in. My husband and I spent several days in Sydney last year before our HAL cruise. We were able to stay in Circular Quay, where your ship is likely to be docked and found so much to do right within walking distance. Much of the waterfront area, including The Rocks is accessible by a walking path. The Opera House is worth an afternoon, to enjoy lunch at one of the outside pubs and then take a tour. We were also able to get last minute tickets to a performance there. You could reserve tickets online before you leave home if you were sure you wanted to do that. Beyond the Opera House is the Royal Botanical Gardens, complete with beautiful vistas, flowers and wild cockatoos. There are ferries to some of the neighboring beach towns, we found Manly to be a pleasant boat ride and dinner spot, many others were swimming and surfing. We also took a walk over the Syndey Harbor Bridge. The view from the road deck of the bridge is great, the view from the climb up the bridge framework is amazing!

Every person we interacted with in Australia was wonderfully helpful and they all speak English. We felt very safe and comfortable on our own there!

Hope you have a great trip. For us, Australia was the most magical place. We plan to return there soon. Would love to find a way to retire there!

Dear Birdster

Thanx for all you help. We have been reading up and the places you mentioned (The Rocks, the Opera House, Manly Beach are the highlights we read about.

Appreciate you help and advise muchly.

Thanx for putting in "your OAR":D

bev

Archived