malaria and dengue??

HaveKidsWillTravel

CDC info:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/costa-rica.htm

Areas of Costa Rica with Malaria: Limón Province, but not in Limón City (Puerto Limón). Rare cases in other parts of the country. (more information)

If you will be visiting an area of Costa Rica with malaria, you will need to discuss with your doctor the best ways for you to avoid getting sick with malaria. Ways to prevent malaria include the following:

• Taking a prescription antimalarial drug
  • Using insect repellent and wearing long pants and sleeves to prevent mosquito bites
  • Sleeping in air-conditioned or well-screened rooms or using bednets

It is particularly important when traveling to Costa Rica that you have detailed information of where you are going within this country, because malaria prevention recommendations vary depending on where you go within the country.

There are some areas in Costa Rica where the risk of malaria is low, and taking an antimalarial drug is not recommended. For areas in Costa Rica where an antimalarial is recommended, primaquine is a good option for an antimalarial drug (only after G6PD testing). Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, or mefloquine can also be used instead. For detailed information about each of these drugs, see Table 3-11: Drugs used in the prophylaxis of malaria. For information that can help you and your doctor decide which of these drugs would be best for you, please see Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria.

To find out more information on malaria throughout the world, you can use the interactive CDC malaria map. You can search or browse countries, cities, and place names for more specific malaria risk information and the recommended prevention medicines for that area.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not bother with anti-malarials for your trip. At most I would use mosquito repellents much the same as you would for a picnic in The States. And, in your favor, most excursions occur during the day when the bugs are less a problem so don't worry.

Keep in mind that many recommendations, including those from the CDC, are aimed more at the long term traveler. Their guidelines are not really intended for those spending a few hours ashore on a cruise tour.

I would not bother with anti-malarials for your trip. At most I would use mosquito repellents much the same as you would for a picnic in The States. And, in your favor, most excursions occur during the day when the bugs are less a problem so don't worry.

Keep in mind that many recommendations, including those from the CDC, are aimed more at the long term traveler. Their guidelines are not really intended for those spending a few hours ashore on a cruise tour.

Thanks! I talked to my doctor and she said there are alot of side effects with anti-malaria meds and doesn't recommend it. She said to use a strong bug spray.

Thanks for your advice :)

Archived