Please tell me about Sensation and Ecstasy

SnowshoeCat

I'm thinking of a short January cruise out of Port Canaveral, leaving me with the choice of Sensation or Ecstasy. Are they pretty much the same and I should just go by date/itinerary? My only other Carnival ship was Inspiration and so I have nothing to compare it to in the Carnival fleet. What I liked about Inspiration was it seemed as if there was a lot of public desk space and places to walk around. I've been on a few newer ships on other lines and it seems with all the balcony cabins, there was less deck space and fewer outdoor walkways.

I'm also concerned about what I've been reading about unruly behavior on the shorter cruises. There will always be some, but I'm thinking a January cruise should be a better bet.

So much for a quick question. I'd love to hear your advice, opinions, or other musings!

We have ben on the Sensation twice and have enjoyed ourselves both times.

She was our first cruise experience and we werein V16 and love the VIP boarding. Balconies were small and did not like that too much, but it was enough to enjoy coffee in the mornings. Small and easy to get around. Our next cruise we had an Aft balcony, E244 and we enjoyed the privacy that we had there and spent more time on our much larger balcony. Ours was located just under the Serenity deck. There is a deck between the Empress and Promenade deck, but that was for the employees, if I am not mistaken. Did not hear any noise from above and would book this room again!

Let me know what else you would like to hear.

the Sensation and Ecstasy are both sister ships of the Inspiration so the basic layout and deck plans are very much the same. Both the Sensation and Ecstasy have had the additional balconies added on which the Inspiration does not have.

Since the layouts are similar, are the facilities similar? Gym, spa, dining options? I guess I'm just grasping at straws, trying to decide.

Dotshub - I see in your long list that you were recently on the Monarch. How would you compare my choices? Originally I was leaning towards the Monarch, but now I think I'm leaning back towards the Sensation or Ecstasy.

Since the layouts are similar, are the facilities similar? Gym, spa, dining options? I guess I'm just grasping at straws, trying to decide.

Dotshub - I see in your long list that you were recently on the Monarch. How would you compare my choices? Originally I was leaning towards the Monarch, but now I think I'm leaning back towards the Sensation or Ecstasy.

Yes on the sister ships the facilities (gym. spa, dining options) are the same.

As for the Monarch comparison..The staff on RCI get the win for being more friendly, the food about even, but the cabin size very definitely goes to Carnival (our Monarch inside was the smallest most uncomfortable cabin we have ever been in). Yes I know that the newer bigger classes of Royal Caribbean ships are more equal in cabin size to the newer Carnival ships, but comparing Monarch to Fantasy class, Carnival is the very big winner.

If we were deciding between the Monarch and any of the Fantasy class ships for our next cruise, Carnival wins, not even a hard decision for us.

Thanks everyone. It's all good information. The itineraries are so similar. Nassau, Freeport, Sea Day - just the order and time in port are different. Dates and prices are all similar, too. Next I'll check days of the week and available airfares. Gotta choose somehow :D

We are considering a January cruise also....We will go on the Ecstasy. it has a 5 day itenerary, and we've done sensation....something different will win me over every time. If I had been on the Esctasy before then I would choose sensation.....knocking them all off one by one!:D

Not sure if you are looking at 3,4 or 5 day cruise, but if you can make it 5 I would suggest the Ecstasy that includes a stop at half moon cay.

That's one of the reasons I liked the Monarch: The shorter trip included a private island. I wish Carnival would go to HMC and skip one of the Bahamas ports for a 3 or 4 night trip.

One problem is that I'm traveling solo, so the price adds up and there's no one to add their input. It's all up to me :D

I didn't realize only the Sensation had a 3-night trip, but they both have 4-nighters. The Ecstasy has its sea day in the middle (which I prefer), Sensation's sea day is the last day. But Ecstasy sails over the weekend, while Sensation is mid-week. Does any of this matter? Thanks again - I'm just thinking out loud :o

The Sensation does three and four day cruises. The Ecstasy does four and five day cruises. It would depend on what days of the week you would like to sail. The Sensation sails to Nassau and Freeport. The Ecstasy sails to both of those plus Key West and Half Moon Cay. With the two ships being very similar. I would select which days you would like to sail and were the ship goes.

Archived