RC on board wedding?

I've read most of the posts about Royal Romance, good and bad, and RC in general. We have both cruised several times before. I have a few specific questions for brides/couples that were married on the ship.

The basic about our wedding:

2nd wedding for both (not white)

informal tropical theme

non demoniational

Rhapsody of the Sea/Galveston, TX

06/26/05

16 sailing guests

8-10 non sailing guests

For those married in the summer, was the ship hot? Can't remember from our last summer cruise and of course different circumstances.

Are you taken to your cabin to prepare? Does the groom go to the same cabin?

Did you use the ship's salon?

RR told us we could bring our own decorations so long as it wasn't a 15 ft palm tree - anyone else do this?

We did not order a full reception, but ordered cake and champagne for all the guests. Is there enough time for a toast, garter & flower toss?

Because you can't use rice or bird sead, did any one use anything different? We were thinking about bubbles and inflatable marrocas with bells inside.

Any other off the wall advise is welcome. My profile is on The Knot under the same name for the curious.

Thanks in advance,

cruise to alter

90 days and 15lbs to go!

Hi Cruise to the Alter,

I'll try to answer as many of your questions as possible, based on my own experiences. Congratulations and good luck!!!

For those married in the summer, was the ship hot? Can't remember from our last summer cruise and of course different circumstances.

We were married in March, not during the summer, but the ship was never hot--it was always air conditioned.

Are you taken to your cabin to prepare? Does the groom go to the same cabin?

Yes, we were taken to our cabin beforehand to prepare. You can do it either way, both go to the same cabin or go to separate cabins. I was initially going to get ready in my sister's cabin while my husband got ready in our cabin, but due to time constraints we ended up boarding way before the rest of our party and chose to both get ready in the same room.

Did you use the ship's salon?

I could not use the ship's salon because we got married the first day of the cruise. If you get married onboard any other day during the cruise you can use the ship's salon.

RR told us we could bring our own decorations so long as it wasn't a 15 ft palm tree - anyone else do this?

We chose not to do decorations, the ship was gorgeous in and of itself. But I've heard a lot of other cruise brides have done so and really enjoyed it!

Because you can't use rice or bird sead, did any one use anything different? We were thinking about bubbles and inflatable marrocas with bells inside.

We asked about bubbles but weren't allowed to do that, either, since it would make the floor too slick. Flower petals was something we considered...

Any other off the wall advise is welcome. My profile is on The Knot under the same name for the curious.

Have fun!!!

Jodie

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I have a little clearer picture now. Sometimes its hard to get a hold of Royal Romance and they don't always answer with an accurate answer. You were a big help. Too bad about the bubbles. And cogratulations to you too!

My wedding was onboard the Jewel, but not on the day of embarkation. So some of my answers may not apply to you. But here goes.

For those married in the summer, was the ship hot? Can't remember from our last summer cruise and of course different circumstances. Our wedding was in February, but the entire ship was air conditioned. I would not be concerned.

Are you taken to your cabin to prepare? Does the groom go to the same cabin? My understanding is the bride is taken to her cabin to prepare (but not necessarily the groom). Also, don't count on cabins being available for bridesmaids, or your sailing guests.

Did you use the ship's salon? I did not use the salon, but my sister did and had a great experience. But if you are getting married on embarkation day, the onboard salon, spa, etc are all closed. You'll need to have your hair done before you board.

RR told us we could bring our own decorations so long as it wasn't a 15 ft palm tree - anyone else do this? We used all of our own flowers. But be aware that customs won't let you bring fresh flowers aboard. My sister made all of our bouquets using silk flowers. Not only were they beautful but everyone had a built in souvenir. It also saved us quite a bit cost wise since she was able to purchase the flowers wholesale through her business. Also, keep in mind that you may have to carry any decorations on board with you. So the 15 ft palm tree is probably a bad plan. :)

We did not order a full reception, but ordered cake and champagne for all the guests. Is there enough time for a toast, garter & flower toss? We skiped the flower/garter toss. But we also paid for an extra hour of reception. With a small group, the champagne and cake is probably fine. Just ake sure that the photographer does not take you away from the reception. It might even be worth it to book an extra hour of photography so that you can spend time at your party, and then do photos later. The photographer will be sailing with you, so he/she will not be rushed to leave the ship before it sails.

Try not to stress and have a wonderful time.

Thank you so much for your answers. I've had a hard time finding them and both of you that answered helped a lot. My future hubby has been stressing over the black shirts the guys are wearing in the heat, but it sound like it will be ok. Even if they carry them on and have to dive into a public restroom, it sounds like they will be just fine. In my opinion, they should sweat a little. I've been doing plenty planning this thing. ;)

Again, thanks so much for your help, congratulations and best wishes for your future.

We're getting married in Galveston on the Rhapsody, too! May 22nd. FH and I are the only ones sailing after the reception. I'm sure I'll be able to use our cabin to get into my gown, but does anyone know if the bridesmaids and my mom can get ready in there with me? Or does everyone else need to be dressed for the ceremony?

Also, I know we have to be at the port by 10:30 that morning, but what do we all do until we can board? I'd hate to think of our 23 guests sweating in the Texas heat in their nice clothes!

Any other advice is welcome!

Daughter was married on Rhapsody last year. We saved the bubbles for sail away and went out the door of the Viking Crown Lounge and blew bubbles at the bride and groom. It was really cool.

The guests will be allowed into the terminal (air-conditioned) with you and will be kept together near the door that leads to the gangway. Once the ship clears customs your whole wedding party including guests get to board the ship. The wedding coordinator will tell them where and what time to be present for the wedding. It's actually fun for the guests. They can even go in to Windjammer and get a bite to eat, just like they were sailing on the ship.

Anybody can go to your cabin with you, make sure you take pictures. I wish we had a camera for snapping a picture of four women and one child all getting ready at the same time. It was pretty comical. The cabin somehow shrunk in size that day.

Have great weddings all of you!

i got married last april on the soveriegn. It was air conditioned. The wedding was the day of embarkation. The salon was closed but my sister (my maid of honor) and myself were allowed in and they did our hair. Another bride getting married that day too was there and her hair was also done. We were allowed priority boarding on the ship (first ones on!!!) and were allowed in our rooms even though regular guests were not allowed in until 1 PM. The wedding guests were also allowed in their rooms to change (RCL did tell us they would not be allowed to though before the cruise).

MayBride - Before the we got on the ship they took us to our own little area of the port and the wedding coordinator went over everything. All the wedding guests were there and we were all let on the ship at the same time, as soon as the last cruise got off (about 11). I did not have any non-sailing guests with me but as all the sailing guests were allowed to go to their rooms I would imagine the non-sailing guest could just go with them. Some of our guests went up to get a bite to eat and explore a little and those of us in the wedding got ready.

Hope you guys have a great wedding.

Archived