Whats The Deal With Food Gripes??

ahracer

$2,900 for a 7-day cruise for 2 people equals out to $207.00 per person per day.

For $207.00 divide that by 2 for the room = $103.50 per person per day. That gives me $103.50 for 3 meals @ $34.50 for 3 meals a day.

$34.50 for breakfast in the Lido: WHAT?

Okay, let's minus out the tips: $140

Bring it on down to $27.00 a day for 3 meals!

I've never spent $27.00 (for even 2 people much less 1) on a breakfast.

Whatever you'all get out of being satisfied that's cool, but do the math when you think you're getting a great deal for lousy food.

Not to be mean- I do not normal respond negative but your math was completely flawed. do you just set in you room everyday. Or do you take advantage of the shows. How much is it to go to a comedy show? there is so much to do on the ship. Unless you just get your room and food for 2700 then it is a raw deal but I bet you leave your room.

Complaints about food amaze me. Have you ever heard of anyone losing weight on a cruise?

Personally, I’m glad that cruise food isn’t any good. As it is, I usually gain about 5 pounds on a cruise. If the food were fit to eat I’d probably explode.:eek:

As others have pointed out Elliar's numbers don't make sense. Please tell me where 2 people can enjoy the menu items offered in Princess' dining room for $13.50 per person elsewhere. Not including gratuity. That includes appetizers, salad, the entree, and dessert, correct? Where can you find a breakfast buffet with all the items offered in Horizon court for less than $14? You may find that price for buffets in Las Vegas, but the Vegas buffets are huge money LOSERS to get people in the door so they will gamble. A 4 course lunch for $13.50?

I am not trying to sound elitist but if you pay $13.50 (again, not including gratuity) for most meals I'd like to know what you're comparing the "lousy food" comments to. Please explain.

How much would it cost in gas or to fly to another city when visiting multiple ports?

To all those who complain about lousy or inedible food on cruise ships - "Don't Cruise Anymore!! - It Ain't Going to Get Any Better!"

Of course, then you will have nothing to complain about - I suppose this could make for a bad day!

Ron

Im fron New York and eat out at some great restaurants, either in the city or on Long Island, I think the food on Cruise ships is pretty damn good, not everything, but if I don't like something, they will get me something else. For the price of the cruise and all we get, Im surprised we don't get denny's food......and when we go to Florida most of the food down there tastes like Dennys anyway, which I don't really find all that bad anyway:p

Tandy, yes, I lost 2 pounds on a cruise. However, I was with my sister, who is disabled and weighs about 150 pounds more than I do. I pushed her in her wheelchair for 7 solid days around the ship on all of the carpet and in the ports. I handled all of the luggage for both of us running back and forth with luggage and getting her to the luggage. I was so tired after the first 5 days, I just wanted to sit and do nothing whenever possible. Although it was a lot of work for me, it was the most fun my sister and I have ever had together. I'd do it all over again! Oh, my sister did gain weight!

Diane

rc51....

The answer is YES!!!! Trying it once is fun. I prefer the overall cruise on Princess, but the service was excellant and the food was incredible, of course, I do know that they have alittle more in their food budget then Princess or the others in that grade.:).....Dennis

Elliair.....

Thanks for the laugh. I think some people missed the joke because they forget that nobody can be THAT bad in Math ;)

well, unless they hold public office?

What a great thread. I also have always wondered why people complained so much about the food. Now granted sometimes while going through the lunch buffet there were some salads that had different combinations of food:rolleyes: but I just went on and picked out something else.

My DH and I happened to love buffets and I find it amazing how many people turn their nose at them. We have had some wonderful food at the buffets. Alot of the time it was the same food that is being served in the dining room. On our last Sapphire cruise I was amazed at the food that was served there. Veal gordon blu, steaks, roasts, beef strognof)sp_ etc.

No complains about the food from me.

Marilyn

I have been on many Princess cruises and I have absolutely no complaints about the food. If I come across some food I don't particularly like I just move on to something else. There's such a variety of foods I can always find a lot of it to enjoy. I don't think one should say that the food overall is no good. I think that's pretty unfair to any cruise line. Just my humble two cents !

As others have pointed out Elliar's numbers don't make sense. Please tell me where 2 people can enjoy the menu items offered in Princess' dining room for $13.50 per person elsewhere. Not including gratuity. That includes appetizers, salad, the entree, and dessert, correct? Where can you find a breakfast buffet with all the items offered in Horizon court for less than $14? You may find that price for buffets in Las Vegas, but the Vegas buffets are huge money LOSERS to get people in the door so they will gamble. A 4 course lunch for $13.50?

I am not trying to sound elitist but if you pay $13.50 (again, not including gratuity) for most meals I'd like to know what you're comparing the "lousy food" comments to. Please explain.

How much would it cost in gas or to fly to another city when visiting multiple ports?

Elliar's numbers don't make any sense to me either since I generally eat about 27 meals a day when I cruise...I've worked my per meal cost down to about 37 cents each.

I work (and eat) in NYC so I'm used to great food. I am generally very happy with Princess meals. The one or two times I've gotten something not to my liking (I forgot what it was but once it was truly horrible) the waitstaff was more than accomodating with another dish which was promply delivered to the table piping hot. If you get something you don't like, simply move on to another dish. Don't let it ruin your evening or your cruise.

My husband and I eat out at least twice a week in "very nice restaurants" and I found the food on the Diamond to be above average overall. That does not mean that everything was gourmet but the majority was as good as you will be served in a four star restaurant. I really enjoyed 95% of the food served.

So far it seems to be overwhelming in the favor of the food. Just as I thought but it is nice to see the positive comments about the food. Seems like the only time we normally hear about it is when someone is complaining.

Scott

That's great Cruiserforlife! While I can generally be happy with 2 meals per day that all goes our the door after about day 3. I can't resist the pizza for lunch and sampling several desserts.

As written before I've sailed the Diamond twice and really don't "get" the food complaints. I am more than willing to admit when something may not be that good but I really, really, don't understand the complaints. In my spouse's line of work he speaks at 5* restaurants a lot and we get to dine for free, Princess' meals to me are like 4* dining experiences.

That's great Cruiserforlife! While I can generally be happy with 2 meals per day that all goes our the door after about day 3. I can't resist the pizza for lunch and sampling several desserts.

As written before I've sailed the Diamond twice and really don't "get" the food complaints. I am more than willing to admit when something may not be that good but I really, really, don't understand the complaints. In my spouse's line of work he speaks at 5* restaurants a lot and we get to dine for free, Princess' meals to me are like 4* dining experiences.

I'm generally good for a meal about every 20 minutes or so...

why attack someones opinion you don't own the cruise line, do you?

Just back from 10 days on the Sun and I feel that the food was not up to the llevel of other similarly priced ships. Carnival owned by the same company had better tasting food and so does Celebrity. My opinion!

Even the head chef agreed that the coffee was terrible. So there!

I eat out a lot and cook reasonable well. The problem I had was that there wasn't much pre seasoning before the food was prepared. Meats were bland except for the rack of lamb that was served perfectly done(rare) and coated w/ herbs and mustard. Beef was uderseasoned and they even menntioned that the steaks in Sterling dining alcove was pre seasoned w/ salt and pepper. Why only there?

There were some excellent starters and deserts and the vegetables were perfect but needed salting. Souffle was floury tasting and the sauce didn't help. Ice cream very good. Soup usally very good on previous sailings were inconsistant.

No, I didn't compare it to Dennys but comparing it to other cruise lines it was inferior. I hope that it will be better on the Diamond next Feb and they correct the coffee problem.

That is my opinion and that of my travel companion. I don't expect the ultimate food on a ship where the entire cost of the cruise is less that the cost for 8 people to eat at the"Inn at Little Washington" or the "French Laundry" but I do exppect more than I received.

Now send out the Rotweillers!

I think if you go on a cruise just for the food, you will usually be disappointed. There are so many other things to do that you don’t get to do in your everyday life.

If you try to “eat to live” instead of “live to eat” on an everyday basis, then you can “live” a little on a cruise ship. Most meals away from a cruise ship you get one shot at picking the right meal or restaurant. On a ship, if you don’t like something, don’t eat it! Either send it back or save room for the next eating opportunity. (usually within the next hour)

I think cruises are great chances to order things you would never think to order at home. You might not like it that much, but at least you tried it.:D

If one does not like the food on Princess, one is welcome to go elsewhere! Ron

I'd be willing to bet that it is comments like the one above that causes people to feel attacked or flamed.

Those types of comments simply aren't necessary... obviously everyone knows that there are other cruises to go on.

I am definitely not a fan of complainers, but people should be able to express their opinions without getting flamed, or receiving rude comments.

I know that most of us here are huge fans of Princess, including myself, but that is no reason to make snotty comments.

Back to the orginal topic of this thread...

I LOVE the Princess food... I've never had a problem with any food in any of the buffets or the dining room (I particulary love the pizza!!) Yum!

I wonder if there are new cruisers out there who don't realize that if they receive a meal they don't like, they can always send it back and order something else off the menu, with no problems.

This is one of the reasons I try to order more "daring" meals that I wouldn't usually order at a restaurant at home. So far, I've never sent anything back!

I'd be willing to bet that it is comments like the one above that causes people to feel attacked or flamed.

Those types of comments simply aren't necessary... obviously everyone knows that there are other cruises to go on.

I am definitely not a fan of complainers, but people should be able to express their opinions without getting flamed, or receiving rude comments.

I know that most of us here are huge fans of Princess, including myself, but that is no reason to make snotty comments.

Back to the orginal topic of this thread...

I LOVE the Princess food... I've never had a problem with any food in any of the buffets or the dining room (I particulary love the pizza!!) Yum!

I wonder if there are new cruisers out there who don't realize that if they receive a meal they don't like, they can always send it back and order something else off the menu, with no problems.

This is one of the reasons I try to order more "daring" meals that I wouldn't usually order at a restaurant at home. So far, I've never sent anything back!

Sorry you feel that way - this was not meant to be an attack - merely a suggestion - if one does not like the food on Princess, one should not go back for more dissapointment - try someplace else.

Ron

Archived