Any cheaper options for tours in Rome?

DD99

we never felt uncomfortable in traffic. we were on side streets most of the time away from the madness. we love walking but it was FABULOUS not getting tired in the heat. it was a pleasure not waiting in long lines and fighting others to get on the bus. when i was researching walking tours, i stumbled upon their website and i'm glad i did!

http://golf-cart-tour-rome.com/faq.htm

my contact was paolo and my driver was roberto. they provided excellent customer service. i highly recommend them for people with mobility issues, people with kids and anyone who wants to have a fun & memorable tour. i've told all my friends about it and they think it's a hoot. the customer testimonials on their website doesn't do it justice. we had a blast. we are still teary eyed about missing rome and roberto. *sigh*

I just found their website while looking for a tour that will suit my husband, who has mobility issues. I'm delighted to hear your praise of them! We'll be in Rome around the 1st of May 2012 for 3 days.

Jane

i am so excited for you jane! golf carts are the way to go. you won't be exhausted at all since they are so great about taking you within a few steps of each attraction. they can customize your tour and we loved that we could do as many bathroom stops as we needed! :)

Thank you for that catch. I meant to say NOT tour guides and that is why they drop their passengers off at stops. The good ones will speak english very well, will engage their passengers, and have a good basic working knowledge of Rome. We used one in 2010. But as I wrote earlier, these services such as Rome in Limo, Rome Cabs, Miles & Miles, etc, should not be considered as anything on par with what you will get with a real tour guide. The driver guide companies will provide licensed guides on request and it will cost you another arm and a leg.

In contrast, a good walking tour with a professional guide with a company that limits its groups to 10-12 people is a great way to see Ancient Rome or the Vatican. All of that can be supplemented with an afternoon on your own enjoying Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and (for tourists) Spanish Steps.

one exception it should be noted is Stefano of Rome Cabs (the owner)..while he does not go into the Colesieum or Vatican with you...a day tour with him is like have a licensed tour guide...he will take you to the Circo Maximus...other major Churches and various other spots..he will bring out all the highlights..add tidbits of info..and used props..such as an overlay book of Rome..showing Rome Then....as in Colesieum and Forum..and Rome Now..as in the ruins of said places....

He is also an Etruscan history buff...

but of course I am a big fan of his after using him personally..not an assistant..in Rome for my family...

He was just such a great person to know...made sure we were aware of strikes etc. I am currently emailing him with a few detailed questions about next summer's trips...not a bad contact to have...

he also has a FB account and posts stuff that travelers to Rome..who are a few days from arrival might want to be aware of...

Archived