Questions about 2 yr old on a cruise

Need-A-Vacay

I disagree with an AI having more to do for a 2 year old. Typically they do not run all day/night programs for kids under 4 if at all. That is why I think cruising is ideal for families with young ones...also, whatever activities they have for kids, my guess they are not as organized or thought out as the Kids programs are on a ship...someone can state otherwise

1. It all depends on a (class) of a resort (in terms of level of activities offered).

2. Even if only limited activities are offered I thought the point of family vacation is to spend time together. We love our adult time as much as any child free couple but we use kids clubs mostly during after dinner hours and once per vacation to participate in adventure type tour. The point of kid club is to provide some reprieve to the parent, not to substitute parents.

Disclaimer : as I stated earlier there is nothing wrong with vacationing without kids. But if you do take kids don’t "kid" yourself into thinking that you provide family time by leaving your kids at the kid club for the entire day (nothing wrong with that either by the way).

Only you can decide what is best for your family, but my son went on his first one at 19 months old. He is 10 and is getting ready for his 6th one in January. He and I enjoy them more than his dad:confused: so we have actually been on one with out Dad.

I will say that we have not been on a cruise without him and that he has been with both grandmas and ond of the grandpas.

Cruises can create wonderful family memories.

We take a cruise every sprink break to celebrate my 7 year old's birthday. Well I had a little girl last December so in march she wasn't quite 6 months yet so the grandparents kept her while we went on a quick 4 day. I can tell you I missed her like crazy, had a crazy telephone bill calling Gee(thats what we call her), and I thought about her constantly. We still had a good time but I missed her so much. Next cruise, she will be with us, I can't do that again!!

Wha was so special about your kid's 7th birthday that you celebrate it every spring?

Again thanks to all for input and ideas.

I'm sure Camp is great I guess I'm just leary of it since I don't know who would be watching him. If he did like it we would probably only use it for one or two evenings if that.

If g-ma came I would be sure to discuss the plan of watching little guy prior to booking (asking only for one or two evenings). My mom and I are best friends and my hubby loves her too. Would never expect to bring g-ma for full sitter.

My gut tells me that at least the three of us are going on a cruise and we will feel it out as we go. I like the idea of no expectations and go with the flow. If camp works great for a little break. If not we'll have a party in our room I guess. My little guy does love to dance.:D

Again thanks to all for input and ideas.

I'm sure Camp is great I guess I'm just leary of it since I don't know who would be watching him. If he did like it we would probably only use it for one or two evenings if that.

If g-ma came I would be sure to discuss the plan of watching little guy prior to booking (asking only for one or two evenings). My mom and I are best friends and my hubby loves her too. Would never expect to bring g-ma for full sitter.

My gut tells me that at least the three of us are going on a cruise and we will feel it out as we go. I like the idea of no expectations and go with the flow. If camp works great for a little break. If not we'll have a party in our room I guess. My little guy does love to dance.:D

you know what, we did our first cruise last November with our 8, 3 and 18 month old. They came to all 3 ports with us,good times were had (yes hectic!). At night, we ate at the buffet with all 3, and if the 2 who were old enough wanted to eat with camp friends we let them eat, otherwise we enjoyed dinner together. Trust me they will have more fun at camp than with you guys, and you can still have your needed relaxation along time. We had our 18month old with us all night up until 10pm for a couple of nights babysitting. She was a pretty easy girl, so like others say, only you know how your son will react...

Good luck!

We took our son when he was just under 2. Uhmm so glad my parents went with us. Since he was not old enough for Camp Carnival, we relied on my parents to keep him at night when we wanted to see a show or go out.

Now we also took him again when he was 4, he hated CC and didn't want to stay, so we took him with us and I just went to the cabin early and stayed with him while my husband gambled.

We have never left Matthew, and never plan on it. We are going on another cruise this month and I am bringing my parents again (paying for their way, but in seperate cabins) just so they can keep him and let us enjoy ourselves as well. We have about 60 people going on this cruise, so we def want some time in the clubs and such. My parents are older, so I know they will be tired and want to go to bed by 10ish or so.

Now that he is 7, I am assuming he will like CC a bit more and hopefully spend some time in it and let us have a bit of time to ourselves.

Our friends that are going, their baby will be right under 2 when we go, they decided to leave her with the grandparents just so they can have a bit of time to themselves as well.

With all that said, we love cruising and Matt loves it too. He loves the shows and the bingo (plays with me) and the dinners together.

Parents memories are certainly important. But you can get the same "warm and fuzzy" feeling years from now, when you look at a picture of the tot sitting in a wading pool or being silly with grandparents.

Really?

2646884190101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2297751300101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2961964750101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2863155980101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

... somehow I don't think so... :D

For us, g'ma is not an option. Even though we were totally run ragged ( the twins being 13MO on this cruise) we'd never consider otherwise. They will be 2YO on the next one, and we do look forward to them enjoying Camp. ;)

To each his/her own, but it would not be a vacation w/o the kids.

2439263260101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2988144240101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2380343080101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2120640140101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

For us, g'ma is not an option. Even though we were totally run ragged ( the twins being 13MO on this cruise) we'd never consider otherwise. They will be 2YO on the next one, and we do look forward to them enjoying Camp. ;)

Thank you! People say it, but the staff really does dote on the little ones.

We were in a 4K inside on Miracle. That is the cabin with the "french doors to nowhere." In a regular inside, they can put the crib(s) and/or bed against the wall to gain a bit more space.

I think you got a lot of excellent feed back - throw out the ones who criticize each other for taking or not taking the little ones - we all have our opinions. One would never leave their poor deprived child behind, another thinks that all vacations must include entire family, another thinks that a 6 month-12 month-2year old will be ruined for life if left behind, another needs a well earned break from the kids, another feels that they can not kick back and enjoy themselves if kids were around etc etc etc. It boils down to how YOU feel about it - will you be a jiggly mess when and if you leave them behind, phone home every day to check up and get them all riled up for Grand Parents (?) to deal with, get pissed when once again you have to leave the MDR with a screaming kid, can't go to late night show or commedian, miss the excursions that don't allow children, can't use the pool because they are not potty trained. Many people have taken their children and had an awesome time - others not so good - many have not taken their children and had an awesome time - others not so good. I wish you all the best but don't let us make the decision for you - how do you feel about it. Personally, we did not take ours until they were older - we camped, fished, hiked, swam, canoed many times during the year for years and they survived.

Really?

Yes. Really. :)

Glad you treasure your twins' pictures. My twins were cute at that age too, and we treasure their baby pictures even though they weren't taken on a cruise ship. None of us suffered when we took kids without the little ones.

Archived