Energency procedure

RLM77

I have always wondered how the crew would handle those of us who cannot use use stairs if the elevators were sisabled.

On the Holland America Board, It was said: In that case, there are mechanical/motor-driven "ascenders" that run on tracks, located in those same crew elevator areas on each ship on which a mobility impaired passenger will be transported to the boat deck.

Pic of Rescue Squad training using one of the emergency wheelchairs attached to an ascender

226585_10150255214790729_551215728_9148432_3822567_n.jpg

Great Pic. That is great news especially since our upcoming, January cruise is with HAL. Although God has blessed me with Muscular Dystrophy, a failed knee-replacement and another worn out knee, I still can go down stairs with some difficulty. Going up the stairs, however, is a different story.

Not trying to be insulting but the person in the chair looks like they are 100lbs soaking wet, how about those that are pushing 250+ or those that use scooters. The scene may look alot different.

One good thing atleast for us: we can fold my sons wheelchair DH or I bounce it down the stairs or fully carry the chair while the other has him.

The posts on the thread on the Holland America Board surrounding this picture, also included the following two quotes:

"A couple years ago DW broke her ankle while we were vacationing in Bonaire. When it came time to fly home, I was curious how they would get her in the plane since there's no jetway at the Bonaire airport, just stairs. The answer was in the form of two burly baggage handlers who pulled a sliding wheelchair-like seat with her in it up the stairs. I was impressed.".....

...." I was an EMT we had a Frequent Flyer that weighed 800 lbs and us and the fire department had to bring him up and down 2 flights of stairs several times that way . OY".....

I hope this adds a bit more info as to the frequency of the use of this contraption, one could assume that the crew would adapt their level of assistance to the weight and or needs of the individual. It certainly is possible also, that the fellow demonstrating someone in the "ascender" was weighted to more effectively mimic the average person.

The thread quoted here is "Should HAL prohibit power scooters?" this portion is around page 6 and 7.

Archived