Xunantunich Ruins?

Ohio Bucki

We took this excursion in July 2008. If you love ruins, it is a great excursion. BUT...it is a long day. It's almost 7 hours. You are on the bus for quite awhile.

The ruins weren't crowded, and you can still climb the ruins in Belize. Our guide was very knowledgeable and gave us a great tour.

On the way back, we stopped at a little resort to eat lunch. You won't have any time for shopping when you get back to port, though. When we arrived back, we had to immediately board a tender back to the ship.

I do have pics if you would like me to post. If you have any questions...ask away! :)

We took this excursion in July 2008. If you love ruins, it is a great excursion. BUT...it is a long day. It's almost 7 hours. You are on the bus for quite awhile.

The ruins weren't crowded, and you can still climb the ruins in Belize. Our guide was very knowledgeable and gave us a great tour.

On the way back, we stopped at a little resort to eat lunch. You won't have any time for shopping when you get back to port, though. When we arrived back, we had to immediately board a tender back to the ship.

I do have pics if you would like me to post. If you have any questions...ask away! :)

Thanks for the info!!

How long did you stay at the actual ruins site?

I understand you have to take a ferry across the river just prior to getting to the ruins, after crossing the river do you then walk to the ruins site?

We are taking this excursion on our cruise in November.

I beleive that "ferry" is a hand-cranked pontoon looking platform. I'm assuming it won't be able to carry a bus load of Carnival cruisers? We would have to get out, walk on the "ferry" for the 5-minute trip across the river, then either take a bus or walk up the hill to X?

You are on the bus for approximately 2 1/2 hours before arriving at the site. Once there, you do get on a hand-cranked ferry, but I believe our bus load fit on it in one trip. After across, you get in a van to ride up the hill to the site. The van had to make two trips...if I remember correctly.

The van takes you to the entrance of the site.

I want to say that we were at the ruins for about an hour...though my husband wants to say that it was two.

SummerCruise2008051.jpg

SummerCruise2008053.jpg

Thanks for the info!!

How long did you stay at the actual ruins site?

I understand you have to take a ferry across the river just prior to getting to the ruins, after crossing the river do you then walk to the ruins site?

DW and I did this excursion in December '09 and it is an all-day thing. We were on the first tender off the ship and on the next to last one back on. The bus ride is about 2-1/2 hours out there, and we stayed a little over an hour. The bus ride back is longer because we made two stops - one at the hand-crank ferry in case anyone wanted to buy souvenirs, and another for lunch.

The ruins themselves were very impressive.

After crossing the river you do take a van up to a parking lot with a restroom and little snack shack (maybe a five-minute ride) and then walk the rest of the way.

Hope this helps.

DW and I did this excursion in December '09 and it is an all-day thing. We were on the first tender off the ship and on the next to last one back on. The bus ride is about 2-1/2 hours out there, and we stayed a little over an hour. The bus ride back is longer because we made two stops - one at the hand-crank ferry in case anyone wanted to buy souvenirs, and another for lunch.

The ruins themselves were very impressive.

After crossing the river you do take a van up to a parking lot with a restroom and little snack shack (maybe a five-minute ride) and then walk the rest of the way.

Hope this helps.

thanks for explaining the itinerary !:)

how far is the walk from the snack shack to the site ?

and is it a smooth path ??:confused:

• 1 month later...
I plan on bringing my own. But I did want to say that if you are seriously interested in this excursion, to book as soon as possible. This excursion sold out a few weeks ago for our Carnival cruise leaving on 11/5.

thanks - we are planning to book tonight - just needed to double-check that is what all four of us would be interested in doing. Wish us luck :)

thanks - we are planning to book tonight - just needed to double-check that is what all four of us would be interested in doing. Wish us luck :)

Sounds good! I don't know if it normally sells out well before a cruise, just know that it is the only excursion in Belize that sold out weeks ago. We booked early enough that we will be on this excurion. I was planning on bringing water bottles since the description didn't say that drinks were provided. I figured the long 2 hour bus ride and climbing and touring the ruins, then 2 hours back (with a stop for lunch and a drink) that we would definately need something before lunchtime and on the bus ride back to quench our thirst. We plan on bringing water bottles on the ship so we are going to pack a few on this trip.

Sounds good! I don't know if it normally sells out well before a cruise, just know that it is the only excursion in Belize that sold out weeks ago. We booked early enough that we will be on this excurion. I was planning on bringing water bottles since the description didn't say that drinks were provided. I figured the long 2 hour bus ride and climbing and touring the ruins, then 2 hours back (with a stop for lunch and a drink) that we would definately need something before lunchtime and on the bus ride back to quench our thirst. We plan on bringing water bottles on the ship so we are going to pack a few on this trip.

Thanks! I hope that you'll come back and post a review of this excursion when you get back - we sail Dec. 24th. We had been debating taking water onboard with us but the more I think about it, the more I think we will take some water with us for excursions. I just hate the having to carry it around between boarding and when staterooms are available ;)

• 2 months later...

We went on this excursion on December 27th. Here's my short review:

Met in lounge at 7:45 and were tendering off by 8:15. It was a 15 minute tender ride. At the pier, we met the tour guides -they took us to where we would board the bus - there were three buses. The tour was operated by Bak-a-Bush. There were restrooms at the pier that they encouraged you to use before boarding the buses. We were on the third bus. I was concerned that would mean we would play "catch up" or have to wait for other groups to finish in a spot before we could see or do something, but that was not the case.

We had a 2 hour bus ride that went by fast as our guides told us about life in Belize and described what we were seeing along the way. We took the western highway all the way across the country! Upon arriving at the site, we had to wait for the ferry a few times before it was our groups time to go. We were allowed to look in the stalls where the local vendors were set up... many groups do this at the end but because we were a later group and had to wait for the ferry, we did our shopping time then and had just a few minutes at the end.

We took the ferry across then boarded a couple of vans to take us up to the site parking lot. There was a restroom there. We had also been given a bottle of water when we got off the bus. We hiked up the hill to the main site where our guides showed us several important parts of the site before we climbed the Castillo which was the highlight.

Then back to the parking lot where we waited for the vans to take us back to the ferry where we waited about 15 minutes for other groups ahead of us to take their turn. Back on the bus for about 20 minutes and then stopped for a delicious local lunch that was well organized. Chicken, rice and beans, and plaintains, choice of soda. Alcohol, hot sauce, and ice cream were for sale, and local vendors were set up outside. Also a nice clean restroom was available before the ride back to Belize City and the port.

Our driver and guides kept in touch with their "shoreside" office people to let them know where we were at various points - the last tender was at 5:15 and our bus pulled up at 5:00 - so whew - not sure how fast our driver was going but it definitely took us less time to return than to go :)

I would highly recommend this excursion if you want to see much of the country of Belize, learn something about the country, and see the ruins.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all for the great info. We planned on bringing water (probably one of those huge bottles Carnival sells with the shoulder sling) and with drinking all that water, I was curious as to the number of bathroom stops. :rolleyes: We plan on spraying ourselves with bug spray since my husband is a mosquito magnet.

Looking forward to this trip since we'll leave the 7 and 5 y/o back with the Grandparents on the ship. An early anniversary present to ourselves.

One last question---everyone who mentioned food said the lunch was good. I don't need to worry about getting sick? Got sick in Dominican Republic off the food at an AI and it wasn't pretty!

Thanks!

We just got back last week on the Liberty and took the Xunatunich Ruin tour with my DH, DD(11), DS(16). We have a wonderful time. It was amazing to be able to hike to the top of the ruin and see the border of Guatalema.

It was a nice air condition bus ride with restroom inside. Restroom is small but clean. It takes 2 hours to drive there, but it goes by fast, because the tour guides take turn telling us the history of Belize and on the way they point out different town and trees.

When we get to the ruin, they use nice clean van to take you over the hill. It is only 3 minutes drive, and there are clean restroom you can use if needed before we walk to the ruin.

After touring the ruin, they take you to lunch, rice and chicken. Foods was good and no stomach problem. There is also restroom stop there if you needed...once again restroom are clean.

It is a 2 hours drive back, but this time we were so tired, we slept most of the way back since the tour was so early in the morning.

It was one of our highlight tour for this cruise...so please go...it is really amazing!

We just got back last week on the Liberty and took the Xunatunich Ruin tour with my DH, DD(11), DS(16). We have a wonderful time. It was amazing to be able to hike to the top of the ruin and see the border of Guatalema.

It was a nice air condition bus ride with restroom inside. Restroom is small but clean. It takes 2 hours to drive there, but it goes by fast, because the tour guides take turn telling us the history of Belize and on the way they point out different town and trees.

When we get to the ruin, they use nice clean van to take you over the hill. It is only 3 minutes drive, and there are clean restroom you can use if needed before we walk to the ruin.

After touring the ruin, they take you to lunch, rice and chicken. Foods was good and no stomach problem. There is also restroom stop there if you needed...once again restroom are clean.

It is a 2 hours drive back, but this time we were so tired, we slept most of the way back since the tour was so early in the morning.

It was one of our highlight tour for this cruise...so please go...it is really amazing!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to the excursion and time alone with the hubby!

We loved this excursion. We took it from the Liberty in November. It was a nice informative ride from the port to the ruins. Take plenty of water and wear your walking shoes! It was so nice to be able to walk up onto the ruins. The lunch was delicious, bring a few extra dollars, I also bought some hot sauces and afterwards there are tables set up with vendors, I bought a pair of coconut-made earrings. The drive back was nice to close your eyes and relax, sleep.

The ship was delayed tendering in Belize by almost an hour (waiting for customs to clear). As a result, all the tours were delayed an hour. Because this tour is 7-8 hours long, we didn't arrive back to the port until 6:00pm, 1 hour after we were supposed to sail away. Because it was a ship-sponsored tour, the ship waited for us. I would NOT suggest doing this tour on your own or through a private vendor as the ship would have left us behind, and I would NOT want to be left behind in Belize City.

If we were to return, we would definately do this excursion again.

I completely agreed...for a tour with this long of distance driving..it is a peace of mind to book with the ship.

Who know if the bus break down on the way back or any other delay.

We did make it back,but I think we were second to last tender.

• 9 months later...

Be forewarned, about "the hill". After crossing the river on the hand-ferry, you are taken up the hill by van to a picnic area that has restrooms. After the restroom break, you have to climb the hill to the ruin site. It is very steep and can be difficult if you have any limitation, age, bad knees, etc.

Archived