Xunantunich Ruins?

Ohio Bucki

Be forewarned, about "the hill". After crossing the river on the hand-ferry, you are taken up the hill by van to a picnic area that has restrooms. After the restroom break, you have to climb the hill to the ruin site. It is very steep and can be difficult if you have any limitation, age, bad knees, etc.

The folks on our tour were offered a second van ride for anyone with medical issues. This was just a few weeks ago so don't know if this is normal or not. Our tour was booked through Carnival.

After the ferry, we all rode vans to the area with the restrooms. Then one van took only those with medical issues to the top of the hill and the rest of us walked.

You do have to be able to climb some stairs from that point to get into the site. I didn't think the walk up the hill was terribly strenuous, but my perspective may be off since we live in the mountains and are used to walking on hills. There's also another set of stairs from one area into another, and of course the 130 feet up for anyone wanting to climb El Castillo. Those stairs are narrow, steep, have no handrails, and at times you have to go back down sitting on your backside. Not for the faint of heart or those afraid of heights. You are NOT required to climb the tall temple, but can wait at the bottom while the guide takes the rest of the group up. Standing at the top of that temple and taking in that view was definitely a bucket list type experience for me.

We also thoroughly enjoyed the lunch afterwards (and a few Belikans for the bus ride back!)

This was one of the best excursions I've ever done. I heard lots of folks onboard say, "that wasn't the tour with four hours on a bus was it?" It was completely worth it. Our guide kept us entertained on the bus both ways and the scenery, ruins, and local lunch made it even better.

We visited belize on our own (not on a cruise) We stayed on the Island of San Pedro, but flew back to the mainland for this Excursion (included these Ruins, zip lining and Cave tubing)

I have no clue where the ships Tender, but from the small Belize City airport to the Ruins was approx a leisurely 2 hr drive. Great way to see some of the country. Our Guide Leo from http://cavetubing.bz/en was superb. Passed on a lot of interesting info about the area on the drive up (and back)

Yes one has to go on a small ferry---it is hand cranked!! takes all of a few minutes to get to the other side! One does have to get out of the vehicle while crossing, then its a short drive to the parking lot.

Bit of a steep hill from the parking lot to the Ruins site. Area itself is very beautiful with a lot to see. There are a few huts that one can go inside and they have write ups about the site and a display done to scale. It is very well done.

We enjoyed it a great deal. I think 1 of the best parts was that we were just a party of 2, so our guide (Leo) who is extremely knowledgeable had plenty of time to pass on info--He actually worked on excavating one part of the ruin years ago.

Bring lots of Bug Juice, sun screen and water!! We arrived there in the morning and by the time we left, it was starting to get hot! I may be Canadian, but live in Nicaragua, so I know hot,lol

1 can climb up to the top of the ruins, so one does get up close and personal. but who knows how long that will last.

Highly recommend this excursion if you enjoy history. Hopefully you have a good guide that is knowledgeable--makes it so much better.

Cheers

990961905_Belize2013Ruinsziplineandcavetube052.jpg.d916eb867e9fbe7fc308a4320694750a.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all of the information.

DH and I will be on the Carnival Dream in September 2013 and are looking forward to this excursion. This will be our Second Attempt at this opportunity.... We tried to go to Xunantunich in Sept. 2011 but there had been torrential rain the day before and the excursion was cancelled. All my hopes were dashed and they didn't even tell us until we tendered in to Belize.

I am hoping for drier weather because I really want to climb to the top and scratch this adventure off of my list.

Archived