Calling home using ATT wireless

JB8704

I know this question has been asked before, but I am trying to figure out what is the cheapest way for me to call home while on our cruise in three weeks. Normally, we turn our phones off and do not make any calls whatsoever. But...we are leaving our 2 year old and 4 year old home with the grandparents and I need to call and check on them a couple of times.

I have ATT wireless. I called them and she said that while on the ship it would be $2.49 per minute and then when in Mexico, it would be $0.99 per minute. Does anyone know if there is a calling card I could buy to use while in Mexico. I also heard awhile back that Carnival was doing a promotion where the calls from the stateroom where lowered. Does anyone know if this is promotion is still going?

Thanks in advance for any information and tips!! We are going on the Triumph from Galveston to Progresso and Cozumel.

I know this question has been asked before, but I am trying to figure out what is the cheapest way for me to call home while on our cruise in three weeks. Normally, we turn our phones off and do not make any calls whatsoever. But...we are leaving our 2 year old and 4 year old home with the grandparents and I need to call and check on them a couple of times.

I have ATT wireless. I called them and she said that while on the ship it would be $2.49 per minute and then when in Mexico, it would be $0.99 per minute. Does anyone know if there is a calling card I could buy to use while in Mexico. I also heard awhile back that Carnival was doing a promotion where the calls from the stateroom where lowered. Does anyone know if this is promotion is still going?

Thanks in advance for any information and tips!! We are going on the Triumph from Galveston to Progresso and Cozumel.

Depending on your phone, and whatever apps you may have, you could find some free wifi in port and use a VOIP app like skype to make a call without using your phone minutes.

Of course that assumes that you have a smartphone. with wifi. Or an Ipod touch

I asked a friend of mine in Miami about the promotion for reduced price calling from the ship and this was her response:

Hi Mach,

The ships offer special from time to time. This is why we no longer have prices of the phone calls listed in the stateroom directory so we can offer specials, in the directory we now just say refer to fun times for rates.

They can range from $1.00 per minute to $6.99 per minute. So still the cheapest way to stay in touch is by using the “Currently Onboard” Funville Forums! Sorry couldn’t help myself. J

Mischelle Beattie Coccera

What Mischelle is referring to is that is free to post on Carnival's Funville Forums from the ship. You can use your own laptop or one of the terminals in the internet cafe. Here's a link:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

:)

I had the same issue. I need to be able to call work every day while on my cruise. Sprint told me it would be $1.69 per mintue while in Mexico and $2.99 per minute from the ship. I think it will be easier to just use my phone (Blackberry) instead of trying to hunt down a store then a payphone to make the call from. Before I leave I will have all data and texting shutdown to avoid all those texts comming through when I turn the phone on.

I have att and was told the same rates ($2.99 on ship). I also have the international plan which is free but must be noted on your account. I generally text home. Sent texts are .50 each and received texts are .10 each. I turn my phone off except while sending the text. There is no roaming fees. I dont however have a smart phone so not sure about turning off data or flight mode.

Thank you all for the tips! I do have a smart phone, Iphone 4. I guess I will do like Host Mach said and just see what the rate is for using my cabin phone when I get on board. It's worth the $2.49 a minute to call and check on my babies. I would try to skype, but both my parents and my in-laws don't have the necessary internet connection to skype with us. We will only be gone 5 nights, but I am still a little nervous, since this is my first time leaving them for more than one night!

Thanks again!

Archived