St martins and the bay of fundy from St John

taylort771

Hey there! First thanks for all this wonderful information! We will be in St John on Oct 10. We are considering renting a car and going to St Martins. Where can we walk the ocean floor? What is there to see in St Martins? What is there to see on teh way to and from the city

We will be in St. John's on the 18th of October and are also thinking about renting a car. I remember camping with my family 40 years ago in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I really want to take my wife to see the fossil cliffs and walk out into the tidal basin at low tide (around noon on that day i think). Any recommendations for routes, specific places where we can park and access the bay, and of course a lobster roll on the way would be nice. Thanks

Hey there! First thanks for all this wonderful information! We will be in St John on Oct 10. We are considering renting a car and going to St Martins. Where can we walk the ocean floor? What is there to see in St Martins? What is there to see on teh way to and from the city

taylort771: I don't know what has happened to the locals that usually respond to the posts for Saint John. They have not been very active this year. I hope all is well with them.

I don't live in Saint John but have been there many times. I expect to be there again on a land trip in late October. I will try to help you.

St. Martins is a picturesque spot to go and see the wide range of the tides in the bay of Fundy. It is well outside the city past their airport. At low tide you can walk on the wet tidal flats and also enter the caves that have been formed in the coastal cliffs by the action of the water. At high tide these caves are flooded by the bay of Fundy. There are a couple of restaurants right there at the beach, It has been a few years since we have been there and I don't remember what is on their menues but I'm sure a lobster roll is available. On the way through the village to the beach, you will pass the small harbour and go through a small covered bridge. Further on there is a second covered bridge as well. When we were there last, the tide was out and the fishing boats were sitting on the ground. All of this is great stuff for lots of pictures. On the way out to St. Martins beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. Nothing jumps to my mind of particular note but for someone else there may be many wonders. Saint John is an indiustrial city, as you exit the city you will pass many old buildings , the Irving Oil refinery, and residential areas as well as the airport which provides connections to Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Ottawa and points beyond.

Lobster Rolls are available at one of the Deluxe French Fries outlets in the city. There are several, you can Google them for locations. Rolls can also be obtained at Lord's seafood in the City market, at Grannon's in Brunswick Square, and at Billy's also in the City market. These locations are all within easy walking of the ship. My DW is fussy about lobster rolls and prefers the style available at the deluxe outlets. I am not as fussy and a roll from any of these locations suits me just fine.

To me Saint John is quite familiar but for a visitor it is probably either about the bay of Fundy and St. Martin's or St. Andrews, or it is about the history. A great place to learn the history and the connections to the American Revolution is the New Brunswick Museum in Brunswick Square and also the Loyalist Cemetary off of Kings Square. Again these locations are all within a 5 or 10 min walk of the ship. There are other locations such as Fort Howe , churches etc.

have a great trip.

Archived