Dolphin swim vs Ruins plus Sting ray city

ufmurphys

We are sailing the Explorer May 22. Initially I thought we would do ruins in Belize, PB in Cozumel and Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. My kids (8 and 10 ) are not thrilled about swimming with sting rays but would snorkle at the reef in GC. They say they will swim with the Dolphins. I really wanted to sail a catamaran in GC and snorkle the reef not thrilled about the sting rays myself(however husband really excited). Thought we might trade the snorkling at GC for a day at 7 mile beach, no ruins in Belize, dolphin and PB in Cozumel. Trying not to spend a fortune on excursions but want some fun memories too. Any opinions on these excursions I would truly appreciate. There are still spots for the dolphin swim but I know they will go quick. Thanks in advance!!:)

If you are trying not to spend a fortune, you will hard pressed to avoid it if you do the dolphin swim. It will cost you probably close to $300 for the day. Here is the break down:

• $200 for the swim (2 boys X $100ea) could be more if you do the Royal Swim. If you go thru the ship, it even more but that will include the taxi and park entrance fee.
  • $20 round trip for the taxi to the park. this could be more or less depending on where you dock.
  • $42 for park admission
  • most people buy at least the photos, if not the video. DW bought both, but I don't know how much they cost. Don't want to know either, but it was probably a lot.

That makes at least $262, not including photos/video. Add those in and you will easily be over $300.

The stingrays in Grand Cayman are so used to people that they are like puppies. The are velvety smooth and non-agressive. They don't really have much in the way of teeth and their mouth is on the bottom side of the body. You don't really even need to snorkle. Most of the excursions take you to the sand bar where the water is shallow enough for most kids and adults to stand. The worst thing than might possibly happen is that you will get a stingray "hickey" if you feed them and don't let go of the squid when the suck it into their mouth. A combination stingray - city reef snorkel tour would cost less than the dolphin swim as well. And you can do the whole thing from a catamaran if you really want to.

I would also pick PB over 7 mile. The sand might be a little nicer on 7 mile, but PB has lots of water toys your boys would really enjoy. Also, I think a day at 7 mile might end up costing more than PB. Grand Cayman is expensive. If you want to snorkel in Cozumel, stop at Dzul Ha on your way down to PB. Snorkeling there is free, though it would be nice if you bought some food/drinks there if you use the facilities. There is snorkel gear rental there as well. Taxi drivers all know where they both are.

I don't know what to tell you about Belize. Seems like you either go with a ship excursion or try to find a tour guide ahead of time. Either way, it is about a 30 minute boat ride to get ashore.

What ever you decide to do, make a plan before you leave on the cruise and remember, you can usually arrange an excursion very similar to the ones the ship offers and have a more personal experience, with less people, at your own pace, and often for less money.

I think your boys would love Paradise Beach-lots of water toys-kayaks etc. at a very affordable cost. We did Captain Marvins snorkle and stingray city trip in Grand Caymen and absolutely loved it- they then dropped us off at 7 mile beach after stingray city 7 mile was nice (lost of people-lounge chairs were $10.00 a piece!!) but kids would definitely like Paradise Beach alot better and Paradise is CHEAPER

Well, I can say that swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel is absolutely an unforgettable experience. You can find fares cheaper booking online with just as much experience. You will never forget this if you do it.

I noticed that in Belize, you are not doing the cave tubing. We have done this and it was incredible. You can get better rates and great service through Belize cruiseexcursions.com. They were awesome. So awesome in fact that we will do it again on April 12.

The stingrays would be terrible to miss as well. It is a very safe and easy snorkel(water is only 2-3 feet deep on the sand bar). Your whole family will love it.

Well, I can say that swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel is absolutely an unforgettable experience. You can find fares cheaper booking online with just as much experience. You will never forget this if you do it.
The prices I quoted in my first post come directly from http://www.dolphindiscovery.com , the outfit that runs the Cozumel dolphin program. You won't find prices cheaper. In the past, http://www.cozumelinsider.com has offered park admission included in the swim price, but I don't know if that is currently offered.

Good luck on deciding. Hope you will let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

Archived