Fred Olsen's Boudicca - a happy ship.

BORDER REIVER

We have just returned from a 7 day cruise to Scandinavia from Newcastle, on Boudicca and it has been a great experience. Having previously sailed on Queen Victoria and Aurora, I was a bit apprehensive about sailing on a smaller and older ship. Boudicca cannot compete with many others when it comes to glitzy modern facilities, but there's a feel-good factor there that was missing from our other cruises and I think it it all stems from the staff. Each and every member of staff and crew greeted us with a cheery smile and hello and that alone sets the tone for the cruise. I also noticed that the the information desk was a much calmer place that on other ships, with passengers and staff communicating quietly, whereas I've seen passengers shouting and banging on the counter in other ships. The pleasant attitude of the staff and crew seemed to be passed on to the passengers, who generally seemed to be a likeable bunch of people that were easy to chat to. We never felt that we were just a passenger on a ship, but more part of a big group of family and friends. Thank you Fred Olsen.

• 2 weeks later...

I would second that too as a first timer on fred! I missed some of the facilities of the bigger ships eg indoor pool area, proper shows and real milk but a very friendly happy ship and so nice to be able to go a whole cruise without using the lift! Food just as good as celebrity etc. We had a wonderful time and did all our own tours which worked out perfectly. St petersburg was amazing and our private group of 6 meant not only did we have more fun but we saw much much more than the ships tours ( out for 18 hours in all!).

Thank you for the encouraging comments on Boudicca. We chose this ship for next September because it was older and smaller, together with Fred Olsen getting generally favourable reviews AND the Newcastle departures.

It is a shame that some people appearing in the reviews do not read reviews before choosing Boudicca so that they do not stray from other (American owned) ships aimed at people wanting noisy 'entertainment' and lots of vigorous activity, then they would not feel out of place amongst a generally more mature clientèle most of which are NOT in 'god's waiting room'.

I must admit to not fully appreciating the brash Princess cruises full of 15-40s people making the place feel like a floating Butlins when I tried them.

Archived