The "Fun" Factor on Emerald Princess

CruiseProGirl

Ran across some old Patters from our trip to Alaska. Bridge, Mah Jong and Hot Boullion & Crackers and a shopping seminar were the whoopdie-do, lively activities each morning. We're heading back to the Caribbean, after being away for 5 years. I'm looking forward to a much more active cruise than our visit to Alaska. Altho' beautiful I was a little bored onboard. Emerald will be the largest Princess ship we've sailed so far. Can anyone tell me about the activity schedule. Was it filled with a variety of things to do or the same old card games and shuffleboard? Thanks for the advice!:)

Alaska cruising is different from the Caribbean as most passengers are viewing glaciers or the Inside Passage. The number and choice of activities is up to the CD; some are more creative than others. No matter what, a Princess cruise won't have the same activity level as Carnival. I've never been bored on a cruise, even with a lot of sea days, so perhaps one's enjoyment depends on the individual.

I've been to the Caribbean 3 times on Princess. There is always something fun going on, on the decks by the pools. I've seen water volleyball, dancing, cocktails being made with "flare" (think of the movie "Cocktail"), sometimes they have a seafood buffet out by the pool. I saw that twice (2 different cruises). There are other things going on the outside decks - can't seem to remember right now.

Yes, Caribbean cruises are different than Alaska. Caribbean cruises seem to have a more "party" atmosphere - but NOT as wild as carnival.

There are also things going on inside.

Don't bother with the "coupon book" they sell you for $25. It's a rip off!!!! Yes, there are coupons for quite a fee free things. BUT the quality of what's free is not worth it. I had a coupon for a free pair of Tanzanite studs. When they gave them to me, I said "oh, you have to buy the stone?" I thought I only got the studs with nothing in there. They said "no, there's a stone in there". It was about the size of a grain of sand. I threw them out.

There are a few good free items in the book, but not enough to spend $25 on. I'd rather just buy the item. Also, every single store in those books give a kick back to the cruise line.

You want quality stuff in the Caribbean, stay away for the tourist stores - go for the less commercial places. In St. Thomas we found a linen store. The linens were beautiful and the prices were great! I also found a satin pajama set in there. It came with a top, pants, slippers, a head band, and scrunchie for only $20. I gave it to my sister. She loved it! Some of their linens were ALOT cheaper than what you find in Bed Bath & Beyond. and the quality is ALOT better than Wal-Mart.

Ok, there's my two-cents :D

Archived