New Zealand ONLY cruise

My wife and I have started looking into a December 2012 trip to Australia and New Zealand. I am wondering if anyone knows of a JUST New Zealand cruise as we do not want to spend 5 days or so just at sea as it seems all of the Australia to New Zealand cruises offer. We would prefer flying into Sydney from the US, doing a week to 10 days in Australia (Cairns, Ayers, etc.) and then flying to NZ to get a cruise and then returning directly from NZ to the US.

Can somebody give us some suggestions or experiences. We haven't cruised much but really don't want to spend so many days "at sea" as the 14 day tours offer.

Thanks and we look forward to some helpful responses.

Jay (and Karen)

Baltimore, MD USA

I am wondering if anyone knows of a JUST New Zealand cruise as we do not want to spend 5 days or so just at sea as it seems all of the Australia to New Zealand cruises offer.

Jay (and Karen)Baltimore, MD USA

Not so.

I know of none that do just NZ, but others might?

There are many cruises that go from Sydney around NZ then terminate in Auckland where there is an international airport for you. I know HAL do a lot this way. It will reduce your sea days to 2 but you will loose one at least by the time you fly across to NZ and find accomodation etc.

Alternatively, call a couple of TA's and let them find them for you.

Hi there,

The cruise ships don't seem to do full laps of NZ and I am yet to see one that makes lots of stops up the West Coast.

As well as limited infrastructure for large cruise ships, I'm also guessing that areas such as New Plymouth and Greymouth are just too wild and rugged to allow for regular safe stopping. It's a shame really. NZ's West Coast is stunning.

Anyway, I would agree with floatie and say that your best bet would be to do a one way cruise from Sydney. You might loose a couple of sea days in transit, but as mentioned, this is still better than loosing a day in airports, flights and the time difference between the two countries (a flight which leaves Sydney mid day doesn't get to Auckland until late afternoon/early evening NZ time).

My personal pick would be the 12 day Christmas/New Year cruise on the Celebrity Solstice. However there are a few other options such as the Diamond Princess.

Hope this helps.

You could also consider flying to NZ first. Hire a car and drive from Auckland to Queenstown seeing the best the country has too offer. IMO there is no better way of seeing this country than driving yourself.

Then fly to Sydney and do the cruise over there. I know there is a great looking 10 night cruise up to Northern Queensland in December on The Radiance of the Seas. I ummmed and aaahed for ages over doing this cruise myself, but finally settled on a Sth East Asian one instead. However, getting up to see the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsundays is still very high on my wish list.

Archived