Transatlantic north-facing rooms?

MiamiBeach

On an EASTbound transatlantic -- Miami to Bermuda then over to Barcelona -- in early April, the sunnier side of the ship is the starboard/right side (I think). My question is about traveling in cabins on the port/left side - is there never any direct sun on that side at that time of year? Any advantages? We don't care about sunning ourselves but don't want a gloomy crossing either.

Would love to hear from someone who has some first-hand experience. Thanks.

We are booked on the Spring Marina TA and have booked a starboard facing cabin, we did this on our last TA (Azamara) but it was pretty overcast for the whole trip. That said, it was the sunny side of the ship and no doubt a bit brighter than the port side.

I wish I could tell you an experience already. We're doing a south-westbound TA next month, Rome to Rio. We're not morning people, but would like to watch sunsets from our verandah. So we specifically requested a starboard room, thinking the sun will be on the port side in the morning, and starboard in the afternoons.

Hope it turns out as we thought!

Rome to Rio sounds great! And I would think that would work with the sun. I actually switched our location; figure for northern Miami to Bermuda leg the sun may be on the port side in the afternoons, and from Bermuda to Barcelona on starboard most of the day. Early April departure.

A long time ago there was a poster who opined about the exact location of the sun at different times of the year, the trajectory of various TA routes+curve of the earth and thus how much and where you'd experience the sun on a ship. I know it's all very calculable with a little effort. (Any takers?)

It's no effort at all if you install this simple little program.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools/

Of course you need to have some idea of where the ship will be and the route it will take but in general terms the above will get you most of the way there as far as location of the sun, path, sunrise and sunset

A long time ago there was a poster who opined about the exact location of the sun at different times of the year, the trajectory of various TA routes+curve of the earth and thus how much and where you'd experience the sun on a ship. I know it's all very calculable with a little effort. (Any takers?)

Archived