Sheraton snorkeling????

jgonzalez

We are going to be in Nassau on November 26th with our boys, ages 9 and 5. My husband and I did the Atlantis waterpark in 2008 and loved it, but we are afraid our younger son won't be tall enough to ride all the rides. We are trying to figure out what to do while in port and have seen a lot of recommendations about the Sheraton. How is the snorkeling there? Is it just sandy areas or are there reefs that you can snorkel on? Are there enough activities to keep kids entertained? We would love to take a boat out to snorkel but are worried about the water temperatures that time of year. Any other recommendations? Thanks for any help!

Well, my info is a bit dated, but here goes:

We visited the Sheraton back in June of 2010 and did some snorkeling there. Mind you, they have it roped off so you only go out a very short distance from the beach. At that time, we did some variety of fish, a few aquatic plants, but no coral. We also visited this past May of 2011 and we literally saw a handful of fish in the whole section. Completely different experiences at the same place.

But, what I will say is that the place is pristine. Very clean, nicely landscaped, a few pools (one with a waterfall, one with a swim-up bar), hot tub, big tricycle looking things you ride in the water, trampoline, etc and you basically have the place to yourselves. There are numerous beach chairs, and no one around to use them. Perhaps summer is not their busy season, but November might be.

I looked at photos on tripadvisor and the pictures are a true representation of how the place looks. If you're looking for a nice beach day away from the crowds, this is it. If you're looking for a nice place to snorkel, this is not it.

Archived