Raiders of the Lost Mayan Cave

SouthShoreShall

• 2 weeks later...
My daughter is wanting to do this excursion when we stop in Belize this December. Is it worth doing? Should I take a small pocket camera? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, I am back and did this exact excursion. You must know that the bus ride is over an hour from port. Personally, I was a little disappointed in the excursion, but I think your daughter would love it. It seemed everyone else in my group did. But I had just gone ziplining the day before in Roatan and had the most amazing time. It would be hard to compare it to anything! In a couple of sections of the cave, you do have to crawl. Currently, it is the rainy season, but they are actually not getting much rain, so mud was only a small factor. We were told that when it does rain a lot that the water can be over waist deep in some places. You get to do one zipline, one repelling....which was very fun but was over much too quickly, 2 or 3 swinging bridges and a combo zipline/repel. Also know that there are bats flying around and some pretty large spiders...if you look for them. The area they take you to is beautiful but the drive there is not picturesque (very poor area). It makes you very grateful for what you have...or it did for me at least. You should take a camera. I took my small camera that I could put around my wrist but others had their larger cameras that they could put around their necks. If I had to do it over again, I would take my large camera so that I could always have my hands free and not have my camera hitting the ground when you have to crawl. They also say that you should wear long sleeves. This is not necessary, but believe me, you do need to take some mosquito repellant. They were swarming in some areas. I do recommend longer pants, but most had on shorts and didn't seem to have a problem. I hope this helps in your decision!

Archived