I'm trying not to panic!! It's not working!

dogchopper

Good luck! I'm hoping I can fit everything in a carry-on and personal item (I bought a huge tote at J.C. Penney). Hubby will also have carry-on and a backpack. If we have to, we'll maybe check one bag for the 2 of us (7-day cruise plus staying over the night before). We're flying Delta.

[quote name='5waldos']I personally have a philosophical objection to paying for checking a bag. And yes- I do know what stress does to my health- and that much is- none. Nice that you figure life that way- I figure it another way.

Chill and enjoy other takes on life.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I am cheap but even if I weren't its aggravating for them charge me 25 bucks each way to check my luggage.. Thats just crazy!

And as far as shuttles go.. I was looking into Cocoa Beach shuttle service not sure if they are the best deal or not just yet.
I didnt see where you were talking about East Coast Ports.. when I clicked on that I got info on booking cruises.. Dont need that :)

[quote name='Simplertimes']Good luck! I'm hoping I can fit everything in a carry-on and personal item (I bought a huge tote at J.C. Penney). Hubby will also have carry-on and a backpack. If we have to, we'll maybe check one bag for the 2 of us (7-day cruise plus staying over the night before). We're flying Delta.[/QUOTE]
Well, I was going to bring my laptop bag (and not my laptop) but I think I will go with a backpack instead.. I guess I can just cram it under my seat? or it will sit in my lap :(

[quote name='dogchopper']That's funny but not a bad idea!!!
I haven't tried packing yet, I still have to get me a smaller suitcase. The one I usually use is too big.[/quote]

By the time you buy all the zip lock bags, space savers, packing cubes and a new suitcase it might be cheaper just to pay for a checked bag :p

I have a cruise booked for Nov 13th for me and my sister. It's her first cruise, my 5th. But, it's my first time flying. Usually we drive but my sister and I are coming from different states.

Ok my panic... How on earth do you fit everything in one of those little carry-on bags? It's only a 4 day cruise but... You have a nice dress for formal night, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 tops. Nice pants for dinner non formal night and maybe a nice top, Dress shoes, sandals, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, some minor meds (like aspirin, heart burn stuff....) one pair of jeans in case it's chilly, socks and unmentionables.. How on earth will it all fit in a 22x14 bag..

And then what happens when you buy stuff on your trip...

What do I do?

We use space saver bags. You'd be surprised how much you can get into one of those bags and how much they compress things.

Do you really need a purse?

I always have a period of adjustment getting used to not having one, but I found I don't need one on a cruise.

I use Ziploc bags and then put those in my beach bag (the equivalent of your "other bag" on the airline).

I put my passport, a credit card, and license in one Ziploc; medications and lip balm in another; etc.

The fact that they are see-through makes it easy to pull out what I need.

I don't need most things I carry in a purse at home (keys, checkbooks, etc.), so I don't need a purse to haul those things in while cruising. :)

As for hairdryers, do they have them on board?? They don't in the rooms...

Not all have hair dryers. Better check. I know the Fantasy does not have them.

Im gonna call just to check, but I don't think they do.. we are going on the Sensation.. Ive been on it before and don't remember seeing any.

As another poster has said, don't count on space bags as you have no way on the ship to suck the air out of the bags when you are packing. (Quote)

The bags we use we got at Walmart. You just roll them up and the air leaves through little holes. They work great, no need for a vaccum. They are sold in the luggage section.... not called space bags, but are the same things. About $10 for 3-4.

As another poster has said, don't count on space bags as you have no way on the ship to suck the air out of the bags when you are packing. (Quote)

The bags we use we got at Walmart. You just roll them up and the air leaves through little holes. They work great, no need for a vaccum. They are sold in the luggage section.... not called space bags, but are the same things. About $10 for 3-4.

I am going to go to walmarts this week and look for some. I mean we cruise at least once a year, maybe more (if we are lucky) so its worth having..

Im sure my clothes will be wrinkled, but they have irons.. so that is ok.

WE WENT ON A aouthern Caribbean cruise and I found light weight Wrangler Jeans at Wal-mart. The weight I can only estimate is 1/2 to 3/4 of regular. They were perfect for warmer weather and took up a lot less room in our bag. Just a thought and possible hint.

4 days. I could go with a tote bag. Are you going on a vacation or a fashion cruise? Nobody but you will know what you are wearing. Nobody will care. A dark pair of shorts, several tops, a silky crunch into nothing formal dress, nice sandals and something for excursions. A pair of dark "dress" pants- silky crunches into nothing- and a nice necklace.

Oh- and 2 bathing suits and a pareo- which you will live in mostly onboard.

ya know, everyone on here says 2 bathing suits.. I only have one (and am not thirlled at this point about wearing it) but I've only been on spring break cruises.. so I've never really gotten in the pools, always too crowded.. On excursions I dont do beach stuff often.. Did go to the private island once, which i loved, but thats really the only time i've gotten to use my one bathing suit!

Maybe a non spring break cruise will be different and I'll be able to get into the pool..

I could pack in a carry on and a decent sized tote bag (like the beach bag with the clear front that Carnival sells). I'd have to buy suntan lotion and any other liquids greater than 3 oz once I got to the port city.

An option is to check one bag for both of you to put things that cannot be carried on (like suntan lotion, contact lens solution, perfume, etc.) which would also allow additional space for other things and room for you to bring back souvenirs. Share the cost - you pay $25 to go and she pay the $25 to come back. You said if it was $25 you'd be ok with it - so it would be and you'd have room for what you want.

(sorry didn't read all posts, so if already said, I apologize)

Kathy

I could pack in a carry on and a decent sized tote bag (like the beach bag with the clear front that Carnival sells). I'd have to buy suntan lotion and any other liquids greater than 3 oz once I got to the port city.

An option is to check one bag for both of you to put things that cannot be carried on (like suntan lotion, contact lens solution, perfume, etc.) which would also allow additional space for other things and room for you to bring back souvenirs. Share the cost - you pay $25 to go and she pay the $25 to come back. You said if it was $25 you'd be ok with it - so it would be and you'd have room for what you want.

(sorry didn't read all posts, so if already said, I apologize)

Kathy

Well my sister and I live in different states soots a bit more difficult, but if she decides to check her luggage, which Shes thinking about, I'll have her bring the lotion and hairspray and all the goodies I can't bring..

I'm gonna make it fit just out of pure determination!!!

I have not read the perfect packer deals but love this thread...it is the hardest thing for me to do and the airlines have helped me on my last trips keep it to fifty lbs..LOL..

My very last trip was a 4 nighter that turned out to be a 5 and I have a bump ticket to use by middle of Feb...Yahoo!!..So this is the deal..you are gonna be great at this op because ..well we all have to be and you are starting sooner...my latest fun realization is out here we have lots of tickets to Seattle or LA or San Fran that can be made on the smaller jets...or you simply are forced to do it sometimes....the overhead rack is too small for carrey on. Luckily I have an old JC Penney roller that still is perfect and the biggest legal size you can get..You have to roll it down the ramp, but then they take it..so almost like checking!! You have the 3 oz one baggie problem..but that and a big overnight looking purse and a tiny easy strap purse packed for everything while there is now perfect for me for one week in LA..I have not done it on a cruise yet but going to figure it out..the deal is buying toiletries there for a cruise for me..and i like to doll up more cruising...so may have some with the check on..but getting better and better at it...Sarah

Wear 4 pairs of underwear on the plane!:p Yes Delta charges and will not come off of that. Good luck! We are flying Delta in Jan. and I know I can get all my stuff in a carry on for a 5 day, but wife likes to bring everything she can find so we have no choice but to check a bag.

Archived