Excursions from Lima

Linda_and_Bob

We have 3 days in Lima in January and we're looking for things to do. We've spent time in Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu on a land trip very recently, so have been to just about all of the places one would normally see when in Lima. We've considered a trip to Iquitos, but the airline schedules don't work very well. Our cruise will be visiting Arequipa the following week.

Lima is such a common point when flying into or around South America; many of you world travelers must have found other interesting things to do for your second and third times through Lima; could you give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Linda

We have 3 days in Lima in January and we're looking for things to do. We've spent time in Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu on a land trip very recently, so have been to just about all of the places one would normally see when in Lima. We've considered a trip to Iquitos, but the airline schedules don't work very well. Our cruise will be visiting Arequipa the following week.

Lima is such a common point when flying into or around South America; many of you world travelers must have found other interesting things to do for your second and third times through Lima; could you give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Linda

Nazca Lines and Iquitos get you away from Lima. But there are ways you can do it-just need to be more versed in the off airline schedules.

Arequipa seems like a waste for a port stop. Matarini (the port) is about 75 miles over crappy road to Arequipa. And then you have the altitude problems-leave sea level, go up to approx 7500 feet (probably won't have time to do Colca Canyon with an 8 hour port stop-must be just a place to take on fuel because that is about all it is worth IMHO).

So why don't you do what you were going to do-get off the ship in Lima, FLY to Arequipa or Puno (Juliaca). Take your time-if you got the afternoon flight the first day in Lima-4:35 nonstop to Juliaca or 3:30 nonstop to Arequipa you could see quite a bit in either place and avoid most of the AMS problems.

You actually could do both with the almost 5 days you have-afternoon one, fly from Lima and land in Juliaca. Day 2-take it VERY easy and go on the VERY easy trip to the Uros islands where you just look around a little bit, walk on the "spongy" island and go on the native boat ride, then back to the hotel. Day 3, IF you felt like it, you could go to the Isle of the Sun or spend the night on a catamaran in the middle of Lake Titicaca (truly a great experience). Day 4, fly to Arequipa (one nonstop per day at 3:30). You will already be acclimated so not much to worry about with AMS. MAYBE go to Colca Canyon EARLY the following morning or just enjoy the White City and its architecture and plaza. Then take the cruise bus back to Matarini.

OR just fly Lima/Arequipa, go up to Colca Canyon, spend the night in Chivay with the hot springs, enjoy the condors and take the cruise bus back to your ship.

There are so many variables but the 3 days in Lima are for those who want to go to MP. The rest of the stops on that portion of the trip are just too short to see much. IF you don't mind getting off the ship, there is a lot to see and do in the 5 days between Lima and Arequipa (I can't believe they put Arequipa on the itinerary-Arequipa is in the mountains, not at sea level). Whatever you do, enjoy!!!

Thanks, Greatam. I've been trying to limit the excursion to the 3 day/2 night Lima time slot because I'm interested in seeing Chan Chan during the previous day's visit to Salaverry and we currently have a flight to the Nazca lines scheduled from Pisco the day following Lima. You're right, though; scrapping the Nazca lines would make it much easier to get out of Lima. Some people have written that the lines are fabulous and some have been unimpressed. What was your reaction to them?

Right now, if we forget about the Nazca lines, we'd still rather go to Iquitos. I've read about lots of flight delays and cancellations in Peru. If something went wrong, it looks pretty tough to meet up with the boat past Arequipa (for $1000, we could get to Antofagasta...). Is that something to worry about?

The "off airlines" I know about are StarPeru and PeruvianAirlines. Are there others?

Fortunately, we do always enjoy ourselves whatever we do!

Archived