No Birth Cert. Now What

I requested a copy of my Birth Certificate 6 weeks ago and still have not received it. It's coming from another state. What can I do if it doesn't come?

Six weeks seems like a long time for a copy of BC. I recently (This past March) had a trip booked flying out of Newark to Montego Bay. Only had my BC, no passport. They would not accept my BC because the seal was not raised. Had to book a later airfare for $800 and visit my local office to have the BC "embossed". $800 later and 2 days from Vacation time lost I was on my way. When I returned I applied for a passport and received that within 3 weeks. Good Luck!

I recommend that you go ahead and apply for a passport now that you have your BC so that you'll have it for your next cruise.

Also as to how long it takes to get a BC, I know that the last time I needed a copy of mine it took 10 weeks (from Alaska).

Since the OP is leaving for her cruise in month, now would not be a good time to apply for a passport. She have to send her birth certificate in with the application and she might not get it back in time for the cruise.

However....by the next cruise you will need a passport. So I would suggest applying for your passport as soon as possible after your cruise.

I am not sure where you all are from, but I went down to our local Health Department/Vital Records and in 5 minutes and $20. I walked out with an official BC raised seal and all.

That can work if you still live in the state/county where you were born. But if you were born in another state, you have to send away for it....and that takes time.

I found out why it took so long to get my Birth Certificate. Since I live in a different state they didn't start processing the request until my check cleared. They said they prefer money orders for out of state request. No where on the request form did it say that.

My suggestion for everyone else is send a money order.

Back in Jan my parents ordered their birth certificates ( from another state ) and recieved them a week later.. I think you should call city hall ( the state you were born in) and ask if they got your information.. You could probably Google the State to get the City Hall Information..:rolleyes:

Archived