Airfare

Jimmy Geegitz

I say no. $160 rt from Chicago O'Hare to Tampa is a steal.

Let me guess, on United? Thats their "hub" city at O'Hare, so they have several flights a day to Tampa. My peeve is having to fly out of my way to hubs to catch a connecting flight. Cruiser71, nice to get a direct flight when you can. I totally get the hub system but it just adds a layer of stress having to catch connecting flights; layovers too short, too long; and weather delays. Our flight last week to TPA, they had a historical early season snowstorm from DC to Maine. 3 inches of snow in Philly and 85 flights were cancelled! Weather can impact travel in hubs as I imagine many newbies have found out. Back on thread, yes prices are higher. Its totally supply and demand. Airlines are cutting back seats/routes to maximize revenue. Industry mergers are eliminating choices nationwide. lots of cities are seeing airlines remove hub status, reducing flights. We've been lucky here with frequent sales to Florida from Columbus but, I almost always fly off-peak in Spring and Fall. Lastly, fuel costs have hit the airlines really hard. Welcome to the new reality. They'll get you there and we'll pay every step of the way.

Flying has become more expensive. What are your alternatives? Driving will cost less money, but if you need to stop at a hotel, then that will eat into your savings. There is also the time element. To me, time has value. I haven't checked rail, but I doubt that is any cheaper than flying and will take more time than flying. My advice is to keep an eye out for airfare sales and book home port cruises.

For those who need to fly. Is it me or is airfare getting high?

I was just checking flight from boston to fort lauderdale for our upcomming cruise and the cheapest I could get is 600for 2ple. Then u add on luggage fees. I am now thinkin of driving. With our car and gas figured at 4 bux a gallon it would only be $400 max. And my wifes friend may now come also so with 3 of us sharing gas expense it would even be lower. Also I can leave my car at my sister in laws so I would not have to pay to park.

I wish I could get airfare for $400 per person! We paid $750 per person from Canada. Last year we went to Orlando and paid $500 per person. It is just not going down at all. It's costing up as much for the air as our cruise!

Archived