Alaska Cruisetour - Vision of the Seas

Hi All!

We have book a RCCL cruisetour in June on the Vision of the Seas. Specifically the Alaska Cruise tour #11 that has a 5 day land portion prior to the cruise. I would love to chat with someone who has done one of the RCL Cruisetours in Alaska. I have a ton of questions specific to the land portion - luggage handling, info on hotels and meals, excursions, etc. We are expericenced cruisers but have never done Alaska or a Cruisetour before. We also booked our air thru RCL.

Thanks!

Pam

:)

Hi Pan, my DH and I would also love to hear from some individuals who have already "been there, done that". We are thinking of booking a cruisetour with RCCL for July or Aug 2007. Actually pkg #9. Can't wait to hear all the details, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I did an Alaskan cruise/tour in August. #15 (13 nights) we flew into Fairbanks. We stayed in Fairbanks, did Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Girdwood (Alyeska) and then on to Seward for the Cruise. Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Ketchikan, Misty Fjords, Inside Passage and Vancouver.

It was my second time in Alaska, but first on a cruise/land tour. I absolutely loved it. It was a bit hot though and most people on our land tour had to go buy more t-shirts/shorts because they had packed for a bit cooler weather.

they handled the bags for us from the airport, from hotel to hotel and then to the ship. Within a few minutes of arriving in each hotel room, our bags were brought to us. We brought our carry-on onto the coach and were responsible for bringing it to our room.

Wondering if anyone knows the furthest out you can book an Alaska Cruisetour package? We want to go in May 2007 and were wondering how soon we could start calling RCCL and book. Also does this time of year book up very quickly and how is the weather this time of the year?

I was also wondering about the luggage and how you arranged to get your luggage once you got off the cruise and went from one hotel to another. Thank you for helping answer that question MM27.

I could be wrong, but I believe they carried one bag per person (I and my travel companions only had one bag and then a carry on each so I'm not positive though) The coach driver always asked if we wanted to store our carry on under the bus, I guess because he had room.

hmmm...that wouldn't be good. We just have really small suitcases. I bought larger ones, but they are too big for the airlines without getting surcharged. We tried 18 days in Europe with these suitcases and we had to end up going to a laundrymat after a very hilarious attempt from DH to turn our bathtub into a washing machine.....

• 1 month later...

Take what you want the tour director (TD) will set you up with storage so that the driver will have one bay set aside and locked with everyones formal clothes for the ship.. Bring one suitcase for the land portion, all you need to have is jeans or kackis and a couple of shirts depending on how many days you will be here in alaska, just remember it could be 85 in Fairbanks and 65 in Denali. Dress like an onion so as you get too warm you can pull off layers, you dont need winter jackets, its summer here too. I also want to recomend if time allows for extra excurions, it will make your trip that more exciting and fun!! Your TD and Driver will take awesome care of you all the way to the ship.!!!

Supa

We are back! We didn't have any trouble bringing two suitcases and a carry-on per person. I put my cruisetour review on the Alaska board if you wish to read it. It was really long so I'm not going to post it here also. :)

Just got back from tour #9 after the cruise. All of your luggage is delivered to your room the first night and you can rearrange your packing and store whatever bags on the motorcoach for the rest of the trip. You have the same bus and it is always attended or locked. Like the previous poster said take just jeans, shorts, and layered clothing . As our TD said "Fairbanks formal" is jeans and is accepted at even the fine dining restaurants.

You put the luggage outside your room every morning about an hour before departure and is picked up by the bell boys at the hotel and loaded on the bus before departure. If you have carry-ons they leave one bay of the bus by the bus door to carry them so you don't have to put them on the bus. The things you take on the bus can also be left there during your excursions. I have to admit they really have this down to a science.

The hotels were very nice although I didn't get to see much of them as I hadan excursion every day as soon as we got to the hotel and we left early about 6:00 every day.

Ask any specific questions and I will give them a shot.:)

We just finished tour #8 and RCCI took care of us at every step. The tour director and Driver were the greatest. In Ancorage, they provided two color tags to be placed on the luggage one for storage on the motor coach and the other to the hotel room(s). You are assigned a TD and Driver and you stay with them through the whole land trip. When your on the train, the driver will take the motor coach to the next stop and will be waiting for you. It is a very organized trip. The last night all the bags are delivered to your room so you can reorganize them. If flying Alaska airlines they hold to the 50 lb bag limit and if you are over they will charge you an extra $25 from 51 lbs to 75 and over 75 lbs its more. We brought a empty duffle bag that we filled with the extra stuff bought on the trip. It worked fine.

Everything is casual on the land trip. Everyone wore jeans and layed shirts, with light jackets. In fairbanks, we left at 8 am it was overcast at 41 deg and in the evening it was 70 deg and sunny.

Archived