Nativeway had some problems

Cindyrella

We took the rays and reef trip with Nativeway last Thursday. Our trip was fine but some people in our group were unhappy. There was no one holding up a sign for Nativeway as was described. I finally asked a man holding a "HObbs party" sign and he said he was from Nativeway and go with him so we did. We got a bus right away, waited for a few minutes and then got on the boat. Another bus arrived late because the driver decided to stop at Burger King and get herself something to eat! Eldon was our driver and he and Sharon were yelling at each other over the walkie talkies. Another couple in our group were supposed to do the rays, reef and rum point tour but somehow got routed to our tour. They were very unhappy so Sharon only charged them $30 each. Sharon came into the bus on the way back and said there were 8 ships in port and many had arrived early so the tours got bunched up. She apoligized and tried to calm people down.

We were lucky everything worked out fine for us and we enjoyed the stingrays. Sheldon and Charile were our crew and they were great. At the Coral Gardens snorkle stop it was pretty choppy and not a lot to see. There were probably 3 other boats there aLso. Still a nice time. Like I said, the guys were great especially helping people interact with the rays.

We just did this tour last week also & had no problems. Sheldon & Charlie were great & really got the crowd involved. There was a lady snapping pictures & allowed you to buy if you liked them. Sheldon found a ton of Conk shells & pulled out the animal inside. He cut one up & allowed whomever wanted to try a piece. I did and it was sweet but non-tasting. Also a little salty from the water. They allowed you to hold the rays, they would give the crowd "backrubs" and you got to kiss the stingray's also. One guys on our cruise got bit on the hand b/c he did not feed the ray properly, so make sure you tuck your thumbs in.

We went on the stingray city and coral gardens tour last thurs 3/31 also with Nativeway. Eldon and Sharon were holding up signs at the two different dock areas. It was unclear where we were supposed to be though since we were told different things. We we delayed somewhat as I think it was difficult for them to round up everyone. It seemed a challenge that could not be avoided with so many people in port.

In the end they ended up subcontracting us out to another operator it seemed. They sent us in some sort of cab and we were told walk down to the last boat (a catamaran which was not Nativeways) at the dock. When we said Nativeway the guy acted like he never heard of it. Needless to say we were concerned that we would not get back to the ship among other things. In the end the guys were great and it all worked out. I will say that the snorkeling stop we made after was not very good at all. It was choppy and I did not see many fish. No one stayed in the water too long which was probably just as well since we were running late. I wonder it they really stopped at Coral Gardens since this was not really Nativeway doing the tour.

It would have been nice if Sharon explained what was going on when they sent us off in the van. It is possible that they got overbooked because our ship changed our port time to morning from afternoon at the last minute.

I am glad we booked indepently however as the ships tour was cancelled because it was too crowded. I have heard it gets cancelled a lot. There were hordes of people being led around the dock area to go off on Carnival tours with big double decker boats. Did not look fun.

Susan,

Were you on the Star Princess? Sheldon told us it was due at noon but came in around 8:00? He also explained that the boat you took contracts with Nativeway, they don't own it. I guess the big problem was with the scheduled 9:00 tours. We were on the 9:30 and it was smooth.

Charlie and Sheldon were so nice and funny. I have some great pictures of them.

We were in GC last Monday and our ship was a bit late. We also had reservations with Nativeway. They were great with handling the time delay. I wish some of our fellow shipmates would have been so courteous. They didn't even try to get an early tender number and kept us waiting for them for an hour. Then someone in their group wants the tour to wait again so he can buy a few t-shirts (the nerve). I made sure to grumble a few comments to him about that one.

We were very happy with our tour and Sheldon and Charlie were great! The bus was a bit full on the way back so Sharon drove us back herself.

I would use them again!!!

Sher

Archived