Queen Mary 2, b2b TA's, only one complaint!

trevgbb

We returned Sunday 30 Oct after our first TA and our first time on QM. Been on QE2 and QV.

We thoroughly enjoyed our journey, we had no problem* with food quality or service, either in Brittania or Kings Court, we wouldn't use paid for options when the normal service is so good! We were even offered double portions of Lobster tail because our waiter thought they were a trifle small! two portions of puddings were also taken by our dining companions on more than one occasion.

* my wife has just reminded me she was slightly disatisfied with her well done rack of lamb, but my rare one was delicious.

We have avoided 'big' ships before, so we were pleasantly surprised at the acres of free space, even though both voyages were near capacity.

The Planetaruim and 3D films were enjoyable, even if the reclining seats don't work very well, we found the best seats for the star show were the very back row, these don't recline, but the whole of the screen is in front of you, and no one else seems to want these.

As we had booked a D8 guarantee special offer at the last minute, we didn't have the best cabins, D5 out, D4 back, both inside, but these were both perfectly acceptable, although we could hear some late night music in the D4, but the cruise was fantastic value for money as we actually paid about half what we have paid for previous cruises in the same class.

I like to attend the lectures unless the weather is good, the WB offerings were not to my taste but EB was great, with talks about hurricanes ( very appropriate, as we had some rough weather) astronomy, Hollywood blondes, and top of the bill, Murrey Walker, and there was, as usual a full daily programme of other things to do.

My wife usualy goes to the watercolour class, 4 hours a day,and line dancing, although these always seem to clash.

The evening shows in the Royal Court were as usual, entertaining and of Cunards high standards, although it must be very difficult to come up with fresh ideas.

Our day in New York, although not much more than a glorified coach tour, did show a taste of the city, especially from the top of the rock, a beautiful sunny day unlike last Sunday, when we would have been snowed in!

So, all in all, an enjoyable experience and great VFM.

Oh! nearly forgot, my one complaint, the positioning of the electrcal outlets above the desk makes it very difficult to fit a plug with either a long tail or odd shape, fortunately, I knew about this because it is the same on other Cunard ships, and I now carry a multisocket which gets around this.

And isn't it so much nicer around the ship now that smoking is confined to a few places, although we couldn't use G32 because it isn't very well vented. Sorry, thats two complaints!

Oh, we also went Platinum on this voyage, looking forward to priority boarding on our next one.

We returned Sunday 30 Oct after our first TA and our first time on QM. Been on QE2 and QV.

We thoroughly enjoyed our journey, we had no problem* with food quality or service, either in Brittania or Kings Court, we wouldn't use paid for options when the normal service is so good! We were even offered double portions of Lobster tail because our waiter thought they were a trifle small! two portions of puddings were also taken by our dining companions on more than one occasion.

* my wife has just reminded me she was slightly disatisfied with her well done rack of lamb, but my rare one was delicious.

We have avoided 'big' ships before, so we were pleasantly surprised at the acres of free space, even though both voyages were near capacity.

The Planetaruim and 3D films were enjoyable, even if the reclining seats don't work very well, we found the best seats for the star show were the very back row, these don't recline, but the whole of the screen is in front of you, and no one else seems to want these.

As we had booked a D8 guarantee special offer at the last minute, we didn't have the best cabins, D5 out, D4 back, both inside, but these were both perfectly acceptable, although we could hear some late night music in the D4, but the cruise was fantastic value for money as we actually paid about half what we have paid for previous cruises in the same class.

I like to attend the lectures unless the weather is good, the WB offerings were not to my taste but EB was great, with talks about hurricanes ( very appropriate, as we had some rough weather) astronomy, Hollywood blondes, and top of the bill, Murrey Walker, and there was, as usual a full daily programme of other things to do.

My wife usualy goes to the watercolour class, 4 hours a day,and line dancing, although these always seem to clash.

The evening shows in the Royal Court were as usual, entertaining and of Cunards high standards, although it must be very difficult to come up with fresh ideas.

Our day in New York, although not much more than a glorified coach tour, did show a taste of the city, especially from the top of the rock, a beautiful sunny day unlike last Sunday, when we would have been snowed in!

Oh! nearly forgot, my one complaint, the positioning of the electrcal outlets above the desk makes it very difficult to fit a plug with either a long tail or odd shape, fortunately, I knew about this because it is the same on other Cunard ships, and I now carry a multisocket which gets around this.

And isn't it so much nicer around the ship now that smoking is confined to a few places, although we couldn't use G32 because it isn't very well vented. Sorry, thats two complaints!

Oh, we also went Platinum on this voyage, looking forward to priority boarding on our next one.

Hi, well it was nice to meet you on the ship, a wonderful voyage as you say, we too had a great deal and the upgrade to an in hull made the voyage special, we slept every night with balcony door open even in the force 9 gale.

we carry a multiplug as well and it gets over the odd sockets, the seats in the planetarium have really worked, the 3D movie were good, entertainment, I wish Cunard would work a 2 week list of shows, that way we can all see something different on a B"B.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your voyage. Your experience reminds me of mine, what with the one dissatisfying dish and multiple lobster tails.

It's great to hear the positive reviews - so thank you.

trevgbb - My wife and I did the Atlantic twice in September and we found the QM2 to be a delight in every category. We went from silver to gold and can't imagine living long enough to ever reach platinum as you. Like you, we had one complaint as well. On the return to New York and during the lobster and steak dinner, we came away from dinner in Britannia very unhappy. Our lobster tails reached us tough as leather and we brought them to the attention of our waiter. He agreed and brought us two more. They were barely editable, as well, but we chose to make no more of this second pair in consideration for our table companions. I would cross with QM2 again and again if given the opportunity. Jack Morris

Hello all. My hubby and I did a TAon QM2 in Britannia in September followed by the New England trip and also has a wonderful time and so echo the sentiments expressed by others.

We had a couple of minor niggles - very minor and not even worth a mention - but to be honest, my only complaint is that we didn't stay on the ship longer! I have come to the conclusion that I could quite happily cross back & forth the Atlantic every week on the QM2. There is loads to keep you busy - if you want to be kept busy - or numerous quiet places to go and be at one with the sea if that is your choice. I combined a lot of both.

And as an aside, I had actually never tasted Lobster before this trip. (please - don't have a go at me!) and I was keen to try the real thing whilst in the Lobster Capital of the world but worried about spending out on a meal I might not enjoy. So, on the night that both steak and Lobster were on the menu (on the preceding TA) I asked for a steak AND a Lobster tail - and explained to the waiter why. He was more than happy to oblige. Now I agree with hindsight that it (the Lobster tail) was probably a tad overdone but it was still very tasty. So whilst in Bar Harbour I bought a Lobster roll for my lunch - and wow! Britannia 56 - you are so right! I have now been suitably educated....... :o:o

:mad:since i'm from new england, i scorn those things that bear the name 'lobster.' unless it's north american lobster, forget about it.

i suppose i should be glad that most of the world doesn't know what they're missing. all the more for me.

We were on those that same Back to back crossings and echo everything Trevor has said. As to the lobster in the Britannia Restaurant - mine was, as always, perfectly cooked and delicious and just as good as any north American lobster I've tried before, even when in Nova Scotia. Who knows, the lobster they served on board might well have come from north America. Nice to meet you Trevor.:)

Archived