Some thoughts about carnivals autotip increase, and tipping in general

honestguy

They spend like 1 dollar bills. Most i suppose go to the purser's desk for bigger bills. We have a guy that comes in and gives you a 2 dollar bill everytime you do something at his table. Its so annoying. He puts a stack of 50 of them on the table, and hands them out throughout the night

You find getting tipped annoying? Now that is a first!

:)

That is exactly what I am telling you. I live in Florida now and own 2 photography companies. But when I lived in North Carolina and first started working, it was at those places. That was roughly 8 years ago.

We frequent Olive Garden here and we are really good friends with a host there as well as 2 of the bartenders there. We have talked to them tons of times about this very issue. One of the bartender friends of ours has mentioned that she doesn't think it's fair that she has to tip share with the busboys but the servers don't. I texted her after reading your comment and she said none of the money goes to anyone but the servers for the servers wages. And the GM doesn't get squat

so again your telling me that when you worked at outback you didn't tipout 3 percent of your sales at the end of the night? I worked there in 2002, and did it then, and I know it hasn't changed. I never said the gm at olive garden received tips I just know their tipout policy. I know they all tipout a percentage of their sales, regardless of what you are claiming.

They spend like 1 dollar bills. Most i suppose go to the purser's desk for bigger bills. We have a guy that comes in and gives you a 2 dollar bill everytime you do something at his table. Its so annoying. He puts a stack of 50 of them on the table, and hands them out throughout the night

And you find him giving out 2 dollar bills annoying?

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Carnival is saying they think its time to increase the tip amount. It is up to you if you dont think after 10 years its deserved.

Fact: Carnival has increased the SUGGESTED tip amount that they will automatically charge your onboard account.

Fire. I think your an amazing resource for cruising and have personally learned lots from you, but do you read what I write?

Key part here is "suggested"

I understand that they are suggesting I tip more. I really do. But it's not mandatory that I follow it. Or am

I missing something here?

And again, if they think they deserve a raise give them one. I don't know I they do. I have never sailed Carnival. :)

The folks on Celebrity do :)

You find getting tipped annoying? Now that is a first!

:)

Yeah I do when the person doing it is doing it to show off. Just as I don't won't my servers reviewing their tips in view of the guests. I don't my guests making spectacle of it either. He always wants a pretty server, and hands them like she is working at a strip club. Also understand I work at a very highend place, so its just very tacky. Guests sitting around him comment all the time on it

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Carnival is saying they think its time to increase the tip amount. It is up to you if you dont think after 10 years its deserved.

Fact: Carnival has increased the SUGGESTED tip amount that they will automatically charge your onboard account.

and I can do whatever I want with that auto addition.

And you find him giving out 2 dollar bills annoying?

Stu I don't work at your average restaurant. My last shift I worked with another server and we waited on 3 tables the tip off the table of 10 was 366 dollars. the tip off the table of 4 was 200, and the tip off of the table of 7 was 170, so yeah I find him handing me a 2 dollar bill as I pour his wine, or push his guests chair in to be self serving, and he is only doing it for attention. That being said I never turned one away.:D

so again your telling me that when you worked at outback you didn't tipout 3 percent of your sales at the end of the night? I worked there in 2002, and did it then, and I know it hasn't changed. I never said the gm at olive garden received tips I just know their tipout policy. I know they all tipout a percentage of their sales, regardless of what you are claiming.

The smug way in which you choose to talk to people (or talk down at people) really doesn't affect me in the least. AGAIN, I DID NOT tipout when I worked there. I have never had to tipout anywhere. Wait.. I take that back.. When I was in training, I had to give the person training me 1/2 my tips for the week. But, that's all. And at the end of the night, I'll sleep just fine whether you believe me or not. I think you're trying a little too hard to live up to your screen name on here.

It's no longer "SUGGESTED" if they automatically charge you that amount and make it inconvenient to remove from your S & S account. (Don't forget your name also goes on a posted list, for the people who handle your food to see!)

If CCL is allowed to think it's time to increase the tip (service charge) amount, then I can think it's time Carnival goes back to serving excellent food in the MDR, and returning to the original dress code there.

A few things came to mind while reading this thread. Firstly, there are some great books about what working on a cruise ship is really like that would have quickly quieted some of the more idiotic comments made here! "I would love to get 800-1000 a week with room and board"...really??? I would bet a lot that working 6 days a week and 16 hour days while living in a closet sized room, with a room mate for a 6 month contract away from friends and family is NOT something you could or would do for that amount of money. That is .96 cents a day before tips assuming the $1000 figure! The staff are not being held prisoner on the ship, but only because life is so desperate at home that the go to this length to try to make money. There is a reason that cruise lines hire employees from economically challenged countries!

Also, I am fine with Carnival increasing the tip amount as long as they are basing the calculation on what the final wage for each position should be. For example, when I was a server at Tony Romas we were paid $2.00 an hour base by the restaurant. Each server was responsible for tipping out the busser (usually 5-10% of tip total) and the bartender got 10% on all drinks the server sold (was broken out separately on the evening final total). The rest was ours to keep, but was reported to management because they have to insure you are making minimum wage and have to make up the difference if you did not. Usually this did not happen, but there were occasional shifts where you only had maybe 3 tables, and did not work any other shifts to help balance out the rotten shift during the week. The restaurant made up the difference to minimum wage level (this was 10 years ago). THIS is what I would hope Carnival is doing to ensure fair wages. I doubt it, but I would hope.

The smug way in which you choose to talk to people (or talk down at people) really doesn't affect me in the least. AGAIN, I DID NOT tipout when I worked there. I have never had to tipout anywhere. Wait.. I take that back.. When I was in training, I had to give the person training me 1/2 my tips for the week. But, that's all. And at the end of the night, I'll sleep just fine whether you believe me or not. I think you're trying a little too hard to live up to your screen name on here.

I'm done. Everything so say sounds as if you never stepped foot in a restaurant. Your trolling and I'm done with it

A few things came to mind while reading this thread. Firstly, there are some great books about what working on a cruise ship is really like that would have quickly quieted some of the more idiotic comments made here! "I would love to get 800-1000 a week with room and board"...really??? I would bet a lot that working 6 days a week and 16 hour days while living in a closet sized room, with a room mate for a 6 month contract away from friends and family is NOT something you could or would do for that amount of money. That is .96 cents a day before tips assuming the $1000 figure! The staff are not being held prisoner on the ship, but only because life is so desperate at home that the go to this length to try to make money. There is a reason that cruise lines hire employees from economically challenged countries!

Also, I am fine with Carnival increasing the tip amount as long as they are basing the calculation on what the final wage for each position should be. For example, when I was a server at Tony Romas we were paid $2.00 an hour base by the restaurant. Each server was responsible for tipping out the busser (usually 5-10% of tip total) and the bartender got 10% on all drinks the server sold (was broken out separately on the evening final total). The rest was ours to keep, but was reported to management because they have to insure you are making minimum wage and have to make up the difference if you did not. Usually this did not happen, but there were occasional shifts where you only had maybe 3 tables, and did not work any other shifts to help balance out the rotten shift during the week. The restaurant made up the difference to minimum wage level (this was 10 years ago). THIS is what I would hope Carnival is doing to ensure fair wages. I doubt it, but I would hope.

Spot on, but carnival can pay whatever they want since the ships are flagged internationally it sucks but true

I'm done. Everything so say sounds as if you never stepped foot in a restaurant. Your trolling and I'm done with it

Because they had a different experience than yours they are trolling? I also didn't give any of my tips away and neither did my wife when she was a waitress.

But I must say, nice work on those tips! I never made that kind of money . Maybe I was a bad waiter :D

Archived