Private tours for Altun Ha & river tours

4inacanoe

I will be travelling with my two children ages 8 & 6 and after considerable research, think the Altun Ha Ruins would be a great introduction to the Mayan culture for them. But I would also like to add the river tour (River Wallace) to get there and I can only find a tour that includes both through the cruise line (Carnival). I've never enjoyed the over crowded cruise ship tours so I'd like to find a private tour company that offers the same. Any ideas?

I will be travelling with my two children ages 8 & 6 and after considerable research, think the Altun Ha Ruins would be a great introduction to the Mayan culture for them. But I would also like to add the river tour (River Wallace) to get there and I can only find a tour that includes both through the cruise line (Carnival). I've never enjoyed the over crowded cruise ship tours so I'd like to find a private tour company that offers the same. Any ideas?

We just returned from an NCL cruise and visited Altun Ha. It was very good and not expensive. There were nine of us and we booked with Ervin Longsworth outside the gates of the terminal. His friend Major Tom was there with another group and gave us a captivating talk on Mayan history. I have Major Tom's phone and email, but have misplaced Ervins.

Phone 501-600-3751 website www.***************** ---- email . They may be able to arrange the river tour for you also. Prices were very reasonable. Our friend has a slide show of our cruise that includes Altun Ha at http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/581677251yBagTP

I hope this helps you. Bill ( I see the edits will not allow the website or email.)

Google major tom belize

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Carnival Valor on 11-13. Our family of 6 (ages 16-72) did a private Altun Ha tour in Belize with experience belize tours. They were knowledgable, friendly and went out of their way to ensure my dad (who requires mobility assistance) had a wheelchair at his disposal should he need it. Lunch was included in our tour and was delicious! Our guide (allen) talked about Belizean culture, took time to point out various wildlife (birds, crocodile, etc.) and interesting fauna along the way. We climbed 3 of the ruins and had a bit of time to shop the local vendors at the Altun Ha site if we chose to do so.

We did not do a river tour in conjunction but i believe that may be something they offer.

As first time cruisers we were anxious about booking outside of carnival but needn't have worried. We received fantastic personalized service and were returned to port well in advance of our required time.

Just off the Carnival Valor on 11-13. Our family of 6 (ages 16-72) did a private Altun Ha tour in Belize with experience belize tours. They were knowledgable, friendly and went out of their way to ensure my dad (who requires mobility assistance) had a wheelchair at his disposal should he need it. Lunch was included in our tour and was delicious! Our guide (allen) talked about Belizean culture, took time to point out various wildlife (birds, crocodile, etc.) and interesting fauna along the way. We climbed 3 of the ruins and had a bit of time to shop the local vendors at the Altun Ha site if we chose to do so.

We did not do a river tour in conjunction but i believe that may be something they offer.

As first time cruisers we were anxious about booking outside of carnival but needn't have worried. We received fantastic personalized service and were returned to port well in advance of our required time.

What time did your tour start and app. what time did you get back or how long was your tour with them? This looks like a good one to me as well as I have some health problems and dont want to be gone all day. :)

Our tour was booked as a 4 hour tour. They planned our tour to start at 10am but we had no problems getting on an early tender and arrived by before 9:30am.

We had booked a private tour for our party of 6. Our guide (& owner) Allen was ready, waiting and began our tour when we arrived. Our tour lasted right at the 4 hours, maybe a little over as we asked to stop for pictures, etc. a few times. They were good about going at our pace, allowing those of us to rest that wished to do so while others more active climbed the ruins during that time. We weren't rushed and really appreciated the personalized, private tour.

I would say that a mixed group tour would depend on the mix of folks included and the wishes of the group at large. Even with a mixed group, I think there would be rest time for those who choose not to climb the ruins. (We had options to climb all (4?) that were legal/accessible to climb. It isn't legal to climb any of them in the rain.)

Lunch had one option (which they describe on their site) and was a simple but delicious local chicken dish. One thing to note, is that the road on the last 14 miles to and from the ruins is quite bumpy. We called it 'the complimentary massage', LOL.

A key thing i did not mention initially that is especially important for longer mixed group tours, is that everyone on the tour be considerate and get the earliest tender tickets possible. We showed up in the Eagles Lounge at 7:30, Carnival passed out tender tickets to those present at 8am. We were on the first or second tender out with no problems. There was a group arriving just after ours that morning with a longer tour booked who had 2 members missing... they were pretty unhappy with those 2 and eventually had to make the decision to either cancel or leave without them in order to guarantee return to port in time for the last tenders. Apparently that doesn't happen often but i promised them if i posted on our excursion, i would include a 'reminder' in a post especially for them :)

Archived