S I C K K I D S

Have you sailed with a sick kid?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you sailed with a sick kid?

Technically, yes... and if they become sick while onboard, they can quarantine them... this is done to help prevent the mass spread of illness on the ship. If the child is still contagious, it would be very easy to spread this across the ship... Now, I'm not sure how they would know... but if it is the flu that has been traveling around the country, I don't think I would subject another 2000 passengers and crew to that... it has been very serious and has hospitalized many people... that is a tough one. I hope your child feels better prior to the trip.

a cold??? No fever??

I wouldn't sweat it. You have 4 days to get it somewhat under control.

The fresh air will do the child good and he/she will be better in no time.

This time of year most people suffer with allergies...there is no way the ship would deny boarding to everyone who had sniffles.

our youngest came down with Strep seven days before sailing. She did 6 days of Zithromax before we boarded and managed to pick up a cold virus a day or two prior. Congestion, runny nose, coughing, no fever. Did we go - you bet. Were we turned away - nope. Was she denied entry to Camp Carnival - nope.

We did have an interesting encounter checking them in at Camp one night. The children ran up a few flights on the way to Camp and our youngest started coughing while waiting in line. Another parent that had just checked her child in to the Camp immediately checked her child back out for fear that her child might get sick. (She stated that to the counselor within our ear shot while watching my daughter hack up a spleen).

My interpretation: we have our child in a day care setting where colds and sickness are a part of life. I suspect the other child stays at home and is not exposed to a lot of illness. Never the 'twain shall meet. So it goes...

LOL!!

That's why on the one thread a few weeks ago when a woman spouted because her kids picked up Noro on the ship that I told her that a kid was probably the culprit to bring it on the ship in the first place.

Kids are ALWAYS sick.....it's a fact of life.

Kids get sick all the time! They catch things from each other in school!

Relax, I will be taking all major precautions. :rolleyes:

doesn't sound very hypothetical and I'm really not sure why you asked.

The hypotheticals are something that

Really set people

Off sometimes - particulary when illness related.

Looking back through previous threads lends credence to that. It's

Like saying "I have this friend who has..."

doesn't sound very hypothetical and I'm really not sure why you asked.

The hypotheticals are something that

Really set people

Off sometimes - particulary when illness related.

Looking back through previous threads lends credence to that. It's

Like saying "I have this friend who has..."

Thank you. That's what I was saying earlier.:rolleyes:

It was just a question from a concern parent to another. Yes, my kid is sick and that is the reason why I asked. Can you imagine how I feel? My child has a cold, NOT chicken pox or anything that is going to cause the entire ship to go under! Lets try to keep the facts in perspective. Do you have any idea how many kids board the ship, sick with all kids of illnesses that we have no idea they have?

Anyway... I was just trying to get any info I could from the CC community.

Do you want to know what I learned from this? That SOME Cruise Critic message board members are not so kind to others!:(

It was just a question from a concern parent to another. Yes, my kid is sick and that is the reason why I asked. Can you imagine how I feel? My child has a cold, NOT chicken pox or anything that is going to cause the entire ship to go under! Lets try to keep the facts in perspective. Do you have any idea how many kids board the ship, sick with all kids of illnesses that we have no idea they have?

Do you want to know what I learned from this? That SOME Cruise Critic message board members are not so kind to others!:(

So maybe it should be Cruise Cynics??

That skepticism is based on your "hypothetical" situation that now has suddenly turned real. Perhaps our lack of kindness was based on your transparently disingenuous approach.

Most stuff is contagious before you even know they have it. We practice handwashing and still had RSV and Rota-virus in the past two weeks and these were the toddler and infant who do not go to school or daycare.

If your kid has a cold no biggie. If your child is vomitting with a high fever? I wouldn't go on vacation like that.

Most stuff is contagious before you even know they have it. We practice handwashing and still had RSV and Rota-virus in the past two weeks and these were the toddler and infant who do not go to school or daycare.

If your kid has a cold no biggie. If your child is vomitting with a high fever? I wouldn't go on vacation like that.

I agree totally!

WENT TO PEDIATRICIAN AND GOT OK TO SAIL.

My kid has a SINUS Infection. :)

Pediatrician said he is OK to travel and gave us a note to take with us to the ship. We are not flying to the port we are driving.

We just hope he feels better so he can go swimming.

Thank You for all your wonderful comments. :D

Pediatrician said he is OK to travel and gave us a note to take with us to the ship. We are not flying to the port we are driving.

I hope that he feels better soon! Nobody needs to spend a vacation sick, especially with a sinus infection:( Have fun :)

kissimmee,

Don't worry! Some of us know all about sick kids...on one cruise, my son fell off the bed and hit the nightstand, as a result he had a horrible black eye, looked like someone punched him....the looks I had to endure, like I was an abusive mother, then, on another cruise, same son almost fainted on private island, inept ships doctor couldn't even take his temperature properly, turns out (as I suspected), he was dehydrated and constipated. A glass of water and a trip to the bathroom and he was good as new, the doctor practically wanted him off the ship:rolleyes: . Trust your instincts, have fun, and visit the family board. It's a lot more welcoming to moms.

Guest Time2gocruzn

No, my kids were not sick when we sailed. BUT the day we got back both my kids started coming down with something. It passed in my older one but my 1 y.o. got extremely sick. DR was very concerned about pneumonia and he was on breathing treatments every 4 hours. Who knows where they picked it up. I can't say for sure that it came from CC, afterall, airplanes are breeding grounds for stuff like this. I agree that if a child has a high fever, diarrhea or vomiting, then no they should not be there. But your common cold is no big deal. You can pick that up anywhere. If it were me though, I would keep my kid out of CC if I knew he was sick, and I hope others would do the same. In your case though I don't know that a sinus infection is necessarily contagious, and if he is on antibiotics he should be fine. Glad he is on the mend, hope you have a great criuise. For your flight, you may want to give him ibuprofen and do saline nasal spray b4 you take off. It will help with sinus and ear pain/pressure. :)

Get him out in the sea water snorkeling asap... That will clear up a sinus infection quicker than you can dang say Snot!!!! I've got 2 kids & it worked for them & me while at the beach... 3 days we were back to normal... (If anyone knows what the dang heck normal is!)... I hope the little one gets to feeling better!!! :)

Another poster reminded me.. Decongest, decongest, decongest.. Know what will ruin a nice vacation? Flying with a stuffed head and having an eardrum burst. Been there, done that OUCH... fortunatly I was coming back from Jamaica and not going to. I think I was 9 at the time. By the time we landed my parents were ready to sell me from the crying because it hurt so bad. After the drum burst (on landing) the pressure was relieved and I felt better but the flight home was awful. Take decongestants an hour before you fly if you have a headcold or sinus infection.

Archived