Stingray Sandbar next month (December)?

notsolost

Cool, ... :P I have a feeling I'll be the only adult wearing a life vest, however.

You will more than likely be surprised at the number of other adults with flotation aides. Whatever makes you comfortable or feel safe is nothing to get concerned about the perceptions of others.

It's been different each time I've been there. The first time it was about waist deep, (2.5' - 4') the second time it was knee deep and the third time the sand bar was only ankle deep at the shallowest point. Of course, the stingrays stay in a little deeper water than ankle deep, but we were sitting in the sand on that trip. Many people wear life vests. Many people snorkel there and wear vests as well. All three times I went we were anchored in water above my head and we swam (a very short distance) to the sandbar, so lot's of people wore vests. IN my profile picture, it was the day when it was ankle deep. We of course were standing in the deeper water in order to play with the rays.

Definitely not a silly question.....When I first planned to go there, I was worried about the depth, too. I'm only 5'2" and not the strongest of swimmers.

The depth won't be a problem, and you will not be the only adult wearing a vest. It varied from around 3 to 4 feet deep.

Enjoy--the stingrays are incredible

• 2 weeks later...

Archived