Costa Maya - Mahahual 11/15/11

dozersassy

Hi All,

Just got back from RC JOS and a stop in Mahahual. Had never been here before and loved it. Walked out of the port and got a ticket to take shuttle into town. We did not book an excursion but the water was so beautiful and we are divers so thought we could find a place in town that would be available for a dive and we did !

Walked around town and found a place to scuba dive and it was fantastic - $55 pp for a one tank dive! Then sat on the beach drank a few Coronas and I got a massage on the beach. Didn't want to leave.... Any questions please feel free to ask.

We are sailing on JOS in two weeks! Planning to go outside the port and get a taxi to Mahahual to Tropicante for a beach day. We don't dive, just snorkel. Is the water temp pretty comfortable? DH won't care if it is cold, but I do.:D Any other info you have regarding your cruise on JOS/and the ports would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Dozersassy.

We too will be on JOS in a few weeks and are divers. Could you tell me where the dive shop was in Mahahaul and what the name of it was?

Was it a shore dive?

I'm thinking that would be a nice start and then some cold beers afterwards.

thanks.........

The dive shop was called Bucaneros Del Caribe and Jorge was our guide and also the owner. It is right in town and his boat is across the street from the dive shop on a dock at the beach (nothing fancy but it works and has a nice Yamaha on it :) He was very professional and took the two of us out to about 70 ft through some canyons. It was AWESOME. He said it was murky as it was a little rough that day - if that's murky....

Although Jorge's English isn't perfect he made us feel at ease and was also safety oriented (safety stops etc). Website is http://www.divemahahual.com

As it wasn't quite peak season yet he had nothing in the AM so took us out with no prior arrangement (cash only!). I'm not sure if during the busier months you would need to contact him in advance.

The Tropicante is a few doors down when you finish your dive get a bucket of Coronas for $10 and sit on the beach.

I was hoping I would miss the ship and end up "stuck" in Mexico but no such luck.

Hi Isailaway,

It looked to me like there were a lot of places on the beach that you could snorkel from as I saw people walking the beach with fins/masks etc. Near the dive boat there were other boats and I think it was like $20 to go out on a boat and snorkel (someone asked as I was standing there). Water was about 86° when we were there, no wetsuit needed even 70 ft down!

Tropicante was great - didn't eat anything but nice to just get a bucket of beer for $10 and sit on the beach to relax. People will come up to you to try and sell things but a simple no works fine and we did get these really cool woven bracelets from an old lady that said she made them 3 for $5.

Enjoy

Archived