Drinking age lowered on NCL ships (with written consent)

niya305

Subject: Drinking Age Onboard NCL and Orient Lines

Effective April 8, 2005, guests age 18-20 will be allowed to purchase and consume beer and wine onboard all NCL Orient Line ships if they provide written parental/consent.

The procedure for obtaining parental/guardian consent is as follows:

Ÿ A Parent or Guardian with proof of relationship may obtain permission for guests between the age of 18 - 20 years of age to purchase for consumption beer or wine.

Ÿ The parent or guardian must accompany the young adult to the Reception Desk with proven documentation of their relationship.

Ÿ The Reception Desk will provide the parent / guardian with a waiver form to fill out.

Ÿ Upon receipt of the completed and signed form, the Reception Desk will provide the young adult guest with a new Guest Card that will allow them to purchase beer and/or wine.

Ÿ The Reception Desk will advise the parent that by signing the waiver he / she is completely responsible for any actions of the young adult and NCL does reserve the right to revoke the privileges at any time.

Ÿ Guests must use their own Guest Card and may only place an order for one beer or glass of wine at a time.

Ÿ Multiple purchases such as Buckets of Beer Helmets or Bottles of Wine 2 for 1 programs are not allowed.

Ÿ The Bar Staff will verify the guest’s signature on the Check, with that of their Guest Card, to assure a match. Guests may be asked to provide a picture ID for confirmation.

Signs with the following verbiage will be posted at each bar onboard:

“Service and consumption of alcoholic beverages requires 21 years of age. With written parental consent, guests 18 years and above may purchase and consume beer and wine."

My son is going to be upset. He turned 21 yesterday. Same thing happened to me. They dropped the drinking age in Vermont to 18 2 months after my 21st bday.

It looks like an administrative nightmare.

I agree, they are opening themselves up to a LOT of problems. We will see how long this lasts. If it were my child I sure as heck wouldn`t sign ANYTHING.

I agree, they are opening themselves up to a LOT of problems. We will see how long this lasts. If it were my child I sure as heck wouldn`t sign ANYTHING.

I would. Both my sons are responsible drinkers. We cruised Alaska together last summer and enjoyed having a beer together. NCL had in the past been 18 for beer and wine with no consent form.

At least with the consent form requirement it does not enhance the chances of another spring break nightmare.

My fiance is 20, I'm 23.. Ive been told that we wont have a problem with her being served. So now you are telling me that one day before our trip (leaving the 9th) they are changing the rules to where now she has to have perental consent". OMFG. im gonna be so pissed. :mad: she has been dreaming of pinacoladas all week. f-that. We payed a lot of money for this trip and read the rules thoroughly before purchasing.

My son is going to be upset. He turned 21 yesterday. Same thing happened to me. They dropped the drinking age in Vermont to 18 2 months after my 21st bday.

It looks like an administrative nightmare.

Shoreguy, are you a Vermonter? Should have known. Native here.

My fiance is 20, I'm 23.. Ive been told that we wont have a problem with her being served. So now you are telling me that one day before our trip (leaving the 9th) they are changing the rules to where now she has to have perental consent". OMFG. im gonna be so pissed. :mad: she has been dreaming of pinacoladas all week. f-that. We payed a lot of money for this trip and read the rules thoroughly before purchasing.

Where did you read that people age 18 could drink in the first place?

We just got off the Star with our daughters who are 20(21inMay)and 17.They did not order drinks,but I don't think it would have been a problem to get served if we were with them. In fact,they brought 4 wine glasses every time we ordered a bottle. I thought oldest daughter would be upset by this rule change being done AFTER our cruise, but she said it was too expensive to drink onboard. She had NO problem getting served in ports. She was never asked for ID.

17 year old went to the Carousel Bar every night to listen to Stan Sykes. There was no problem with her being in any club, even when we weren't with her. (but- they wouldn't let her in the spa!)

I must say, even the college age people on board were very well behaved. They were drinking and having a great time but were never out of control. Their parents would be proud! We did, however, have a couple of 40ish ladies who were drunk and obnoxious at the shows. You can't always judge behavior by age!

PS-croozcouple,I don't know why the rule change would get you so worked up. She was underage before the age change. Besides,NA pina coladas are only $2.00! I seriously don't think you'll have a problem as long as you use your card to buy.

We were specifically told that our 18 yr old would NOT be allowed to drink. We are cruising May 1 on the NCL Crown. So now he can drink or no? I would prefer no but he would like a yes. However b/c we were told at the planning stage of this trip I'm not overly concerned.

Thanks for the info

Pinky

I don't think you will have a problem with this at all. Just do all the ordering of drinks....it's not like they card drinkers on the ships....just the ones doing the ordering. Enjoy your cruise.

OceanDreams

Crooz_Couple

Take a chill pill :) He could not buy a drink before. If you did all the research on the rules you knew that. Normally if you ordered no issue.

Now since you will be married I am sure you can sign a release for him to be able to buy beer and wine all by himself which was not posible before. So tell him to be good and you might let him drink.

Once your married you don't need the parent to sign I am sure a spouse is more then OK.

We were specifically told that our 18 yr old would NOT be allowed to drink. We are cruising May 1 on the NCL Crown. So now he can drink or no? I would prefer no but he would like a yes. However b/c we were told at the planning stage of this trip I'm not overly concerned.

Thanks for the info

Pinky

Yes, he can now. This is a new policy. They just sent out this letter today. If you don't want him to drink, then don't fill out the parental consent form. But, that doesn't mean that he won't drink. I'd rather my child do it around me, at least I'll still have control

21 is pretty old to drink... In Canada it's 18 (or I think 16 in Quebec).

Think of this way, you child could be in Iraq (at 18 right?) but he can't drink? :)

The boats are Bahamian registered, the age is 18 in the Bahamas, Not one port of call on most cruises (only US Ports would differ) have alcohol consumption ages of 21, it's 18. Want the young adult pissing it up only on shore under who knows who's watchful eyes?

How about this, it may keep the prohibitionists happy: passengers from the USA who don't want their young adult children drinking and who are the payers of the tickets choose, beer or no beer.

Sounds like a bible belt knee jerk policy keeping it 21; or I guess better yet for a few very vocal, completely dry. :(

You have a charming way of expressing yourself.

21 is pretty old to drink... In Canada it's 18 (or I think 16 in Quebec).

Think of this way, you child could be in Iraq (at 18 right?) but he can't drink? :)

Drinking age in PA is 21. He drank before he was 21 but I did not give him permission. It wasn`t legal.

Drinking age in PA is 21. He drank before he was 21 but I did not give him permission. It wasn`t legal.

No I agree someone shouldn't drink if they're underage. But sometimes the laws are sort of odd. You can join the military at such a young age (and die) but you can't drink or gamble or vote. Very strange... they should just make the age of majority for all stuff one age.

This summer my 20 year old will be going to Iraq with the Marines. Yet last summer on our Majesty cruise he could not drink or gamble. But it is O.K. for the same person to get shot at or in turn use deadly force. He went ashore in Bermuda and was served and acted responsibly.

Another point-In 1997 I did not need to have an on board account to board the Norway. You were given 24 hpurs to set it up.

Also-my contacts in the industry tell me these "mandatory" charges are the result of lower tipping as cruising became a mainatream vacation.

Let us all remember that cruising is not what it was 15 or 20 years ago.

You have a charming way of expressing yourself.

hehe sorry :p , its usually a rule of thumb that feelings on the internet are exaggerated a bit. People compensate for not actually being able to see the persons physical forms of expression. If you were actually here watching me type that, you would have seen me laughing about it because of the bad luck of the rule changing one day prior to our cruise. Trust me, Im about as easy going as they come and charming alike. ;) Cheers!

hehe sorry :p , its usually a rule of thumb that feelings on the internet are exaggerated a bit. People compensate for not actually being able to see the persons physical forms of expression. If you were actually here watching me type that, you would have seen me laughing about it because of the bad luck of the rule changing one day prior to our cruise. Trust me, Im about as easy going as they come and charming alike. ;) Cheers!

I think is good luck. What am I missing :)

I think is good luck. What am I missing :)

our boat ships tomorrow. we arent married yet. from what i read before, you could drink if you were 18+ without a consent form. one day before we get on the boat they changed the rules to require a consent form. I am not a legal guardian, so i cant consent for her. I doubt we will still have probs. just found it funny. :)

our boat ships tomorrow. we arent married yet. from what i read before, you could drink if you were 18+ without a consent form. one day before we get on the boat they changed the rules to require a consent form. I am not a legal guardian, so i cant consent for her. I doubt we will still have probs. just found it funny. :)

NAAAAA it`s been 21 for awhile now. I think that you are smart enough to know that you will be buying the drinks:cool: BTW you did come off very strong, not a good thing.

Have a great cruise:D

I think maybe you got NCL mixed with RCI? We were on the 3-27 sailing of the Spirit and my friend's 20 year old could not purchase alcohol at all. They snipped the corner off of her key card so everyone knew she's not 21. As we are weeks away from "legal" she had a few cocktails that her dad purchased. No biggie.

My nephew was on a RCI ship the same week, on his senior trip. The 18 year olds could drink beer and wine with parent consent.

I don't think the liquor police will come after a 20 year old for sipping a pina colada. Have a great cruise, and if you see my Momma, you better run, because she'll wash your mouth out with soap.:D :D

If you saw that it was years old material. NCL has been 21 for years. So has CCL. As posted RCL has been 18 for beer and wine.

Archived