Spirit - Oceansuite worth it or not?

JulesRuby

Hiya! This is my first post. I have been cruising (pun intended ;) ) the forums for a few days now looking at reviews and threads related to cabin choice but haven't quite found the definitive answer to my question.

I have cruised once before with P&O on the Pacific Pearl from Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia.

I am booking on the Spirit Carnival for its Dec 5 2013 cruise: Syd- to New Caledonia- Syd. This cruise will be a graduation present to myself and my family who have supported me through a gruelling second university stint.

It will be my husband and I and our two children who will be aged four and six years old at the time of the cruise.

I want it to be special...so, is it worth the extra $ to get an Ocean Suite or is a cabin with a balcony not so much different?

Either way I want to be mid-ship as it is just a smoother ride.

Any advice would be so appreciated, going on such an exciting holiday is a real splurge for myself and young family so I want to make the best decisions I can.

4 people in one cabin I would look into 6232

for room for those kids to move about.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

an oceansuite- the ones on the corner with the huge wrap around balcony will not hold 4 people.

a regular ocean suite--

281910401lIAgsn_th.jpg

balcony will be small in comparing to a regular cat 8K.

I dont know how much extra you are talking about, but for us it was well worth the extra money. I have been on the Spirit 4 times, and the 1st 3 was in regular balcony rooms. This last one we got an Ocean Suite and it was a big difference. There were 3 of us in the room, and so much roomier than the regular balcony rooms. The bathroom was so much better also, double sinks, bathtub with sliding glass doors, and alot of closet space. With 2 children, I would definitely step it if you can. The balcony was huge, very deep and long. We were in 6195, mid ship, close to everything.

With 2 children, I would definitely say an Ocean Suite would be worth it...for a couple it's just a splurge. The cabin is larger, the balcony is larger, there are twice as many closets and drawer space, and the bathroom is larger and has a full size whirlpool tub. In addition, you have a dressing area (with vanity) between the bathroom and the living space. We got our first suite when we brought our daughter and were very happy we did. It could get a little tight in the regular cabin.

Serene and I are usually big proponents of those "bowling alley" balcony cabins (like she recommended 6232). But in this case, I would definitely opt for more room in the cabin, and these cabins don't give you that...they only give you the really large balcony. The cabin size is the same as the other balcony cabins. If you can afford the suite, go for it!:)

Fantastic, thank you so much for the responses!

The difference between a balcony and an OS is $1000 (Australian).

We didn't use child minding last time we cruised -one was to young anyways - so I imagine we will have lots of 'quiet nights in' once the kids go to bed, so having something with a bit more space (and a bath!) will be worth it.

I just wasn't sure, but I feel so reassured it is a good option after reading the replies of people who have cruised in both room types.

I am so excited already, it looks like a great ship, a real step up from the ships we currently have in Australia

A seperate bedroom? Wow! That would be handy.

Is that at OS or grandsuite prices?

How have people found travelling in an aft cabin on the Spirit?

I have only cruised on a smaller ship (P&O Pacific Pearl) and when the sea got 'bumpy' I was thankful for being midship as the rear of the ship was so much worse. I have heard though that the bigger the ship, the smoother the ride though...?

I am not too concerned about decksize , so long as my husband and I have somewhere to sit and enjoy a glass of wine together once the kids have gone to bed in the evening.

LOVING Cruise Critic, I am finding out so much more than if I was just looking at the Carival website:D

Another great option on the spirit is the aft wraps.....they are the same price as a oc but you get a huge balcony as well as a bigger cabin with a seperate bedroom..........

oops, missed that you had already given me an answer on cost. Are there particuar cabin numbers to request if I decide to go that way?

the cabin must be so much larger than standard to fit a seperate bedroom in.

A seperate bedroom? Wow! That would be handy.

Is that at OS or grandsuite prices?

How have people found travelling in an aft cabin on the Spirit?

I have only cruised on a smaller ship (P&O Pacific Pearl) and when the sea got 'bumpy' I was thankful for being midship as the rear of the ship was so much worse. I have heard though that the bigger the ship, the smoother the ride though...?

I am not too concerned about decksize , so long as my husband and I have somewhere to sit and enjoy a glass of wine together once the kids have gone to bed in the evening.

LOVING Cruise Critic, I am finding out so much more than if I was just looking at the Carival website:D

The Vista Suites are the wrap arounds at the back of the ship with the extra bedroom.. they do not sleep 4.. max 3 on Deck 7 or 8...

We love the aft of the ships and always stay back there.. if you are prone to motion sickness and movement you are better off midship..;)

The aft wraps are very nice with the extra bedroom, but you can sometimes feel more vibration at the aft of the ships, especially if they are going fast. And the balconies tend to be much more sunny beccause you have less of an overhang, especially on the higher decks. I wasn't aware that none of the Vistas sleep 4...even us old-timers can learn something new on here!;)

You should love this ship! We have sailed her sister ships (Legend & Miracle) numerous times and they are our favorite class of ship. They're large enough to give you a real cruising experience while being small enough to feel homey. We're sad to be losing her over in the States...enjoy!:)

I am even more excited for the cruise now, I am so excited that we are getting the Spirit here!

Okay, so I have narrowed it down to:

Ocean Suite

Mid-ship (yep motion-sickness sufferer:o)

Now, this is such a newbie question...but any recommendations about cabins -starboard or port? any prefereces from you experienced cruisers?

I am even more excited for the cruise now, I am so excited that we are getting the Spirit here!

Okay, so I have narrowed it down to:

Ocean Suite

Mid-ship (yep motion-sickness sufferer:o)

Now, this is such a newbie question...but any recommendations about cabins -starboard or port? any prefereces from you experienced cruisers?

That's a good question, but not easily answered because sometimes they go forward into the port, and sometimes they back in. So no way of telling which side you'll be on, for the most part. Pick either side...do you like odd or even numbers?;)

The 9B category rooms are almost as large as the suites, only the bathroom is smaller and has only a shower, not a tub. A few of them sleep 4. Look at cabins 6279, 7301. I was not impressed with the aft wrap suites-awesome balcony and incredible view, but the room itself felt cramped and the angled wall makes for a lot of wasted space.

That's a good question, but not easily answered because sometimes they go forward into the port, and sometimes they back in. So no way of telling which side you'll be on, for the most part. Pick either side...do you like odd or even numbers?;)

I love it, a wee bit of gambling before the ship even departs:p

I am going to say....even.

I will also scope out the 9B cabins before I put my deposit down, I like to research the pants off everything, especially as the cruise will be a big treat for me.

The 9B category rooms are almost as large as the suites, only the bathroom is smaller and has only a shower, not a tub. A few of them sleep 4. Look at cabins 6279, 7301.

I just crunched the numbers as you are right - 7301 is almost as big as a suite. It would be $500 total cheaper than the Ocean Suite.

Gah! Now I am not as set on the OceanSuite. The bath in the OS would be nice though as we will be in our cabin most, if not all nights as our kids go to bed early :o. But $500 nice?

I just crunched the numbers as you are right - 7301 is almost as big as a suite. It would be $500 total cheaper than the Ocean Suite.

Gah! Now I am not as set on the OceanSuite. The bath in the OS would be nice though as we will be in our cabin most, if not all nights as our kids go to bed early :o. But $500 nice?

While we haven't sailed in it yet (12 days yeah!!) and we are on the Legend but that is the same class.

For a family of 4, we ended up going with 7301, even when I was offered an upsell to an OS for only $330 total. The OS has the tub and the separate changing area, which I figured was what took up 90% of the 50 sq feet give or take difference. To me that wasn't worth the price even at $300 more expensive.

I would suggest if you are torn, or aren't 100% sure, I would book one of the 9B's ASAP for the 4 people, then you have time to make a final decision and think about it for the OS. The thing with the 4 person 9B's is there is only 2 of them on the ship, so they will go ALOT faster than the OS's!!

Don't forget that not only do you get the tub (for the kids) in the suite, but you get 2 sinks and the dressing area gives you another whole set of closets and drawers in the vanity. In addition, there are more cabinets and counter space in the cabin itself. So depending on how much you bring, and whether your kids prefer baths (whirlpool to boot!), base your decisions on that. The balcony should be about the same size for both.

Or you can book the 9B and then upgrade later if you coose to! Decisions, decisions;)

Archived