Liquor prices

m steve

After shopping in San Juan and St. Martin I was surprised at the lower prices at Tortuga liquor stores. Mt. Gay XO was about $5 less and there were other savings. I have been there 6 times and never felt that they were cheap but I will shop there in the future. Unfoortunately they don't sell Big Black Dick rum.

We found the best prices at Tortuga liquor stores on Grand Cayman. I was amazed, 140-proof bottle of rum for $11, Absolut for $10. Best prices, wish I bought more!!

I'll be on a Grand Cayman for a week next month, staying on the East End and renting a car to get around the island. Are the Tortuga liquor stores all over the island?

I'll be on a Grand Cayman for a week next month, staying on the East End and renting a car to get around the island. Are the Tortuga liquor stores all over the island?

The Tortuga stores are located in and around George Town/Airport and along Seven Mile Beach.

On the way east you'll pass a Big Daddy's at the Airport Centre, Tortuga if you go slightly out of you way to their bakery location, a Black Beards at the Grand Harbour marketplace, a Jacques Scott in Savannah at the Countryside Center, and a Big Daddy's on the East End at the Morritt's Strip Centre.

There are also a few small liquor stores in Bodden Town and one in Old Man Bay

The Tortuga stores are located in and around George Town/Airport and along Seven Mile Beach.

On the way east you'll pass a Big Daddy's at the Airport Centre, Tortuga if you go slightly out of you way to their bakery location, a Black Beards at the Grand Harbour marketplace, a Jacques Scott in Savannah at the Countryside Center, and a Big Daddy's on the East End at the Morritt's Strip Centre.

There are also a few small liquor stores in Bodden Town and one in Old Man Bay

Thanks. My friend and I are staying at the Morritt's Tortuga Club so will buy liquor at the strip shopping center there.

When you buy liquor from Tortuga, you need to specify you want the liquor BEHIND THE GLASS, or at least that was the set up at the liquor store in town. The behind the glass liquor delivered right to the ship duty free, but we were not able to get the bottles in our cabin until the night before we left the cruise. No problem, I wanted liquor to bring home anyway. I got a bottle of 140-proof Tortuga Rum for $11. I believe if I wanted to walk out of the store with the bottle it would have cost me $30 or more. Absolut Vodka was $10 a bottle, in MANY flavors. Prices were outrageously cheap.

When you get to the airport, look for the coupon books that are right after you go through customs. I think it's called the Cayman Activity Guide. There are quite a few coupons for Tortuga in there. (There are also coupons for excursions, dining, etc.)

For people coming in the ships, the Cayman Activity Guides are all around Georgetown and are a good thing to get as well. There are coupons for rum cakes at Tortuga--yum--and a few other things that you might be looking for.

If you want beer, I would seriously recommend bringing your own in your suitcase. A 12 pack of Miller Lite is $20!!! It's ridiculous.

When you get to the airport, look for the coupon books that are right after you go through customs. I think it's called the Cayman Activity Guide. There are quite a few coupons for Tortuga in there. (There are also coupons for excursions, dining, etc.)

For people coming in the ships, the Cayman Activity Guides are all around Georgetown and are a good thing to get as well. There are coupons for rum cakes at Tortuga--yum--and a few other things that you might be looking for.

If you want beer, I would seriously recommend bringing your own in your suitcase. A 12 pack of Miller Lite is $20!!! It's ridiculous.

Thanks for information about the activity guides. I'll look for them when we arrive. My friend hasn't traveled much, so I'm the one who's put this trip together and have been gathering information from several sources. The activity guides with excursions will help. My late husband and I were on Grand Cayman a few years ago on our first big ship cruise. We did a tour that included sting ray city, but we went in one of the boats as his health was already in decline. I know I'll want to recommend we see the sting rays, and I hope to get in the sea with them.

Thanks for the heads up on the beer. Neither she nor I are big beer drinkers, but I'll tell her about the cost. I'm actually thinking about taking my own wine, too, for drinking when we're in the condo.

Beth

Thanks for information about the activity guides. I'll look for them when we arrive. My friend hasn't traveled much, so I'm the one who's put this trip together and have been gathering information from several sources. The activity guides with excursions will help. My late husband and I were on Grand Cayman a few years ago on our first big ship cruise. We did a tour that included sting ray city, but we went in one of the boats as his health was already in decline. I know I'll want to recommend we see the sting rays, and I hope to get in the sea with them.

Thanks for the heads up on the beer. Neither she nor I are big beer drinkers, but I'll tell her about the cost. I'm actually thinking about taking my own wine, too, for drinking when we're in the condo.

Beth

Just be advised that you are allowed the following duty free exemptions when bringing alcoholic beverages INTO the Cayman Islands:

Up to:

1 Case of Beer

or

1 Litre of Liquor

or

4 Litres of Wine

Anything over those amounts is subject to duty (upwards of 40%).

Cheers!

Just be advised that you are allowed the following duty free exemptions when bringing alcoholic beverages INTO the Cayman Islands:

Up to:

1 Case of Beer

or

1 Litre of Liquor

or

4 Litres of Wine

Cheers!

How much Duty Fee are we allowed to buy and bring back to the states???

I found this on the CBP site, Basically it states 1 liter per person Duty free, any more you have to pay taxes on it. So where is the big benefit???:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml:confused:

Alcoholic BeveragesOne liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

• You are 21 years old.
  • It is for your own use or as a gift.
  • It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

While federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use, unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as for resale. CBP officers are authorized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to make on-the-spot determinations that an importation is for commercial purposes, and may require you to obtain a permit to import the alcohol before releasing it to you. If you intend to bring back a substantial quantity of alcohol for your personal use, you should contact the port through which you will be re-entering the country, and make prior arrangements for entering the alcohol into the United States.

Also, you should be aware that state laws might limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in without a license. If you arrive in a state that has limitations on the amount of alcohol you may bring in without a license, that state law will be enforced by CBP, even though it may be more restrictive than federal regulations. We recommend that you check with the state government before you go abroad about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply.

In brief, for both alcohol and tobacco, the quantities discussed in this booklet as being eligible for duty-free treatment may be included in your $800 or $1,600 exemption, just as any other purchase would be. But unlike other kinds of merchandise, amounts beyond those discussed here as being duty-free are taxed, even if you have not exceeded, or even met, your personal exemption. For example, if your exemption is $800 and you bring back three liters of wine and nothing else, two of those liters will be dutiable. Federal law prohibits shipping alcoholic beverages by mail within the United States.spacerclear.gif

US Duty exemptions are more lenient for many Caribbean countries and possessions, along with those for US territories.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/types_of_exemptions.xml

2 litres total duty free from countries listed under the $800 exemption info and 5 litres from US territories. All with the caveat that at least 1 litre must be produced in said country.

But I just noticed that the Cayman Islands are not included in the list!!! All I can say is that when I head to the States with 2 L of liqour per person, I have never had to pay duty. Since you are on a cruise any "Cayman liquor" could have always been purchased in a country on the list. ;)

with the amout of liquor you bring back. We haven't had to pay duty in more than 10 years. We itemized what we bought on each islland. They didn't charge duty on jewelery over the allowance even though it was listed on the custom forms.

Up to:

1 Case of Beer

or

1 Litre of Liquor

or

4 Litres of Wine

Cheers!

We had way more than this in our bags and they weren't searched, so we weren't charged. We just said we didn't have any food or liquor in our bags and we went right through. Just saying... ;)

Archived