NCL or RC for Western Mediterranean Itinerary with Teens

baseballmom94

My family is planning a Western Mediterannean itinerary cruise for July 2012. It will be my husband and I along with our 2 kids, 18 year old son and 15 year daughter. Our previous experience is with the big RCCL ships, the Navigator and the Freedom.

I'm thinking of booking with NCL this time because I really like the idea of the freestyle dining concept and I don't want to have to bring a lot of dress clothes to Europe. We want to enjoy the European cities and use the ship more as a hotel.

My questions are for people who have sailed both lines but anyone else can feel free to jump in!

1) Will we be disappointed in NCL and the Epic ship after being on the large RCCL ships?

2) Is food a downgrade from RCCL? (not that I was very impressed the last time we cruised with RC)

3) Will the kids have enough to do on the ship on the day of cruising? My son likes a big basketball court and my daughter likes a climbing wall or athletic activities.

4) Is the "feel" of the Epic as luxurious as the Navigator and Freedom class ships?

I'm hoping to book soon so I really appreciate any advice!

Thanks so much!:)

We did the Med on the NCL Jade and while I'm not a fan of freestyle dining, it was perfect for a port intensive itinerary and worked great for us on our cruise. Others disagree, but the food in the main dining room was a step down from any other cruise line I've been on (Princess, RCCL, Carnival). If you budget to eat in a specialty restaurant each evening, then the food is more equal.

We used the ship less than on any cruise I've ever taken, exactly because of what you describe - the ship was more a hotel for us than anything else, so for a Med cruise, I wouldn't worry as much about the facilities than the itinerary and cost.

Best,

Mia

We do the Epic last year and we loved it!! I thought I was a fan of the set dining time but I really did prefer the anytime dining.

As for the ship, there was a Rick climbing wall and a basketball court. Also 3 water slides that I think my DH and I enjoyed more than the kids.

Archived