Snorkel Nassau, St Thomas, Tortola or Antigua

forever cruise

Swim with the sharks at Nassau:

http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/snorkelhome.aspx

http://www.stuartcove.com/DiveBahamasMgmt.aspx?id=3&pageId=17

The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The fact that the boat captain hadn’t lost a diver in twelve years was also encouraging. This is a five star, gold medallion, prime trip, not to be missed!

• 3 weeks later...
Trying to decide the best place to snorkel at on our cruise. We'll be stopping at Nassau, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua. Any of these offer good snorkeling? Anything right off a beach? Specific excursions offered or particular beaches? Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend Coki Beach on St Thomas for from the beach snorkeling. There are so many fish. Facing the water off to the right, closer to Coral World is where I snorkeled. Rocks and Coral to snorkel around. :cool:

I love Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. It's smaller but not crowded. It has a nice palm tree lined beach, calm harbor with lots of coral & fish. The highlight of our day snorkeling crystal clear waters of the harbor, seeing a green eel & starfish. It's free, just a taxi ride 20 min? each way.

A dive shop operates right there as well as a nice lil resturant/bar called The Blue Moon.

Of all the islands you mentioned, we experienced the best snorkeling in Nassau. There were good varieties and lots of fish when we went. We booked an excursion through the ship--I think it was Seahorse Sail and Snorkel (we've gone with them twice). The last time we were in St. Thomas we booked a sailboat (Capt. Max) and had a wonderful sail to St. John with lunch included. We snorkeled for an hour in Caneel Bay. She takes a maximum of 6 on her boat. We went with a CC couple we met on our cruise and a couple from another ship.

I love Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. It's smaller but not crowded. It has a nice palm tree lined beach, calm harbor with lots of coral & fish. The highlight of our day snorkeling crystal clear waters of the harbor, seeing a green eel & starfish. It's free, just a taxi ride 20 min? each way.

A dive shop operates right there as well as a nice lil resturant/bar called The Blue Moon.

Hey Dawg!

I second Secret Harbor, had a great relaxing day there. We're thinking of trying Coki Beach when we're in St. Thomas next month (22 days til Sailaway, but who's counting.....?), especially as the ports were switched so we're not going to be in St. Thomas with 20,000 other folks!

Hey Dawg!

I second Secret Harbor, had a great relaxing day there. We're thinking of trying Coki Beach when we're in St. Thomas next month (22 days til Sailaway, but who's counting.....?), especially as the ports were switched so we're not going to be in St. Thomas with 20,000 other folks!

Lucky you Mary! We are hoppin the Red Hook ferry to St. Johns,

gotta avoid those other 20, 0000 folks as well!

Don't leave your vaulables on shore while swimming in St. Thomas or Chicago!

Good point!

I just read on another thread that they're still constructing bathrooms at Coki Beach, so we may try Sapphire Beach instead, also supposed to have good snorkeling -- with Secret Harbor as Plan B if it's rough seas. OR, St. John also might be an option.....decisions, decisions!

Archived