Caleta Marina (Cozumel)

Loves_Dogs

Have a scuba dive booked at Caleta Marina on my FOS cruise in a few weeks. I know when I get off the ship there will be plenty of cabs waiting to take us. My concern is getting back to the ship after the dive. Is Caleta Marina a place where it will be easy to find a cab? Do they hang out there as they do at tourist attractions or will I have to call for one?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to go from FOS cruise ship pier to Caleta Marina? Thank you in advance for any help.

DW and I are booked with Scuba with Alison, who also uses Caleta Marina. We'll be there next week on the Carnival Magic, and are so looking forward to it!

Alison told me in an e-mail message that it's about $8 each way. I'm assuming that's per cab ride, not per person. She also said it's around a 10 minute ride.

I was just going to get the cab driver's card and have Alison call the company when we get back.

Hope that helps...

Have a scuba dive booked at Caleta Marina on my FOS cruise in a few weeks. I know when I get off the ship there will be plenty of cabs waiting to take us. My concern is getting back to the ship after the dive. Is Caleta Marina a place where it will be easy to find a cab? Do they hang out there as they do at tourist attractions or will I have to call for one?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to go from FOS cruise ship pier to Caleta Marina? Thank you in advance for any help.

If I recall the Marina is approx 10 min cab ride. The taxi fees are posted and I think it ws approx $15 each way. When we dove with Alison (high recommendations) the taxi drives know the schedule and was waiting before we finished saying thanks to DM and paying.

We did FOS in Oct 2011.

Loves Dogs,

The Caleta is very close geographically to where you should be docking (International pier), maybe a 1/2 a mile or more. It's only a few minutes by cab. I don't know the rate but if it's more than 5-10 dollars I'd be amazed. Cabs returning can be a potential issue though. Especially if there are many ships in town. The taxistas go where the business is, ships, down town, beach clubs ect. The Caleta is not a big draw for them especially on a busy day.. Your dive operator can call one for you if needed. Another Idea is to be dropped of elsewhere when you are done diving by your dive operator. Almost all the beach clubs have piers, are you meeting other non divers when you are done? If they are along that shore there's a good chance the dive boat can drop you off where they are. Ie - Paradise beach, Mr Sanchos ect ect.

Also you can be dropped off near the Caleta at either the Money Bar or the Fiesta Americana Hotel, both very close by the Caleta and both always have taxis in abundance.

I always do this, as one time I spent 40 minutes at the Caleta trying to get a taxi. It didn't make my day.

Have fun

Rich

Loves Dogs,

The Caleta is very close geographically to where you should be docking (International pier), maybe a 1/2 a mile or more. It's only a few minutes by cab. I don't know the rate but if it's more than 5-10 dollars I'd be amazed. Cabs returning can be a potential issue though. Especially if there are many ships in town. The taxistas go where the business is, ships, down town, beach clubs ect. The Caleta is not a big draw for them especially on a busy day.. Your dive operator can call one for you if needed. Another Idea is to be dropped of elsewhere when you are done diving by your dive operator. Almost all the beach clubs have piers, are you meeting other non divers when you are done? If they are along that shore there's a good chance the dive boat can drop you off where they are. Ie - Paradise beach, Mr Sanchos ect ect.

Also you can be dropped off near the Caleta at either the Money Bar or the Fiesta Americana Hotel, both very close by the Caleta and both always have taxis in abundance.

I always do this, as one time I spent 40 minutes at the Caleta trying to get a taxi. It didn't make my day.

Have fun

Rich

Thanks to all for the replies. No, we are not meeting any non divers, just my son (my dive buddy) and I on this cruise. I would not like standing outside waiting on a cab for 40 minutes :eek: in the hot sun either. I will be sure and bring this up with the divemaster before we leave. I like the idea of having them drop us off at a location (Money Bar or Fiesta Americana hotel) frequented by tourists, where there will be plenty of cabs. If for some reason they cannot, I will make sure they can call for one after our dives. Thanks again everyone!

I always dive with Eagle Ray Divers at La Caleta Marina. Chellie and Antonio have always had a cab waiting for me when the boat returned.The marina is very close to the International and Puerta Maya piers.Taxi cost was $8 each way last year.I have often joked I could just dive at Paradise reef and surface at my ship at Puerta Maya---they are that close.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from another wonderful cruise along with some great scuba diving.

Grand Cayman -

Based on advice from these boards we booked 2 tank guided shore dives with Sunset House and what a great time we had! The people there could not have been more helpful or nice. I am not a very experienced diver and I loved how easy the exit & entrance was. Our divemaster (Jackie from the UK) has only been with Sunset House a few weeks and she worked her rear off to ensure we had a good dive experience.

First dive was the Nicholson Wreck, the beautiful reef and of course, the mermaid. Second dive we just hung around the reef. Very relaxing dives and saw a lot of beautiful coral and fish. Would definitely dive there again.

Cozumel -

Used Chucho Underwater and couldn't have been happier. We first met Chucho 2 years ago when we booked with Scuba with Alison. Alison overbooked and therefore handed us off to Chucho. We had such a good time that I 'tracked him down' for this trip. There are 2 Chuchos with dive websites in Cozumel, his is http://chucho-underwater.com/ .

He uses a small dive boat. My son and I were the only 2 divers he had that day. After explaining to Chucho how I 'blow' through my air he worked with me on some breathing / relaxation exercises to help. I just cannot say enough about how patient and helpful he is.

First stop was Cedral Pass where we saw a nurse shark, stingray and a one of the biggest lobsters I have ever seen. In between dives Chucho shared fresh fruit, banana bread and bottles of water. The second dive was Tormentos. Very nice dive with a lot too see. If I make it back to Cozumel again, I will absolutely book with Chucho Underwater again.

Archived